Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Bloody Poachers!

Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    I have many problems with people that interfere with others whose enjoyment of our land is a right not a priviledge.

Just a couple of things that I want to mention here...Farmers are going to need in the future every person on their side they can get.
    They should not be in the game of interfering or trying to make life difficult for hunters or fishermen...many Farmers control the access to many thousand of Hects of Public Land..Throught paper roads and the queens chain.

More and more access points into Public Land have DOC gates on them now. You park at the gate and get your gear sorted and prepare to walk in and hello up rolls a Four wheel Drive and someone with a key. You say "where are you going mate" and sure enough he's going to your hunting spot. You say where did you get the Key..He says "Oh I have got a mate at DOC who lets me have the key to all of there blocks". "So are we now in the game of providing hunting areas for the new elite of this country".

Huge areas of what was public Land and public forest, Have become part of treaty settlements... Kaingaroa Forest...Over the last couple of years the public has been excluded from this Forests...Like Farmers I dont think Forest owners should be in such a hurry to make enemies of the public be they fishermen. hunters, or armed trampers.

And yes, I do not live on my block of land and the hunting is pretty much free range to the locals. I used to breed a lot of pigs and let them go just to add my bit for the hunting world.

I was coming back through the gorge next to my place one day when I see this big Maori walking along the roadside with a good pig on his back but making hard work of it. I pulled over and said to him I will sit with the pig while you take the dog and go and get your car. I said "thats a nice pig". He said "its a bloody beauty, I was driving through the gorge yesterday in the Milk Tanker and I saw him rooting down on the flat, so this morning I went and got my mates dog and caught it.
    I said "its one of my pigs I bred and let go awhile back" He said "Nah its a wild pig". I said "its got an earmark".
    The guy followed me back to my place for a brew and a yarn and I got more of a thrill out of this guy who wasnt a hunter catching my pig than I would ever have myself catching it myself. I would meet this guy on the street, at the local marae at Anzac day and on other occasions and he always treated me better than his very best cuzzie bro.

When our ancestor brought game animals and birds to this country they did not intend for them to become the preserve of only the rich landowning class...Fish and Game shall belong to no man except those who take it legally.

How does a person take fish or game legally when he has been trespassed, his access blocked, and the paper road and the queens chain fenced and the gates slammed shut in his face.
    You realize releasing pigs is an offence? Do you realize the damage they do? And then you go and whinge about 1080.

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    You realize releasing pigs is an offence? Do you realize the damage they do? And then you go and whinge about 1080.
    Where have you been. Check out Pigs being released on Molesworth Station by DOC and Animal Health Board.

Pigs are no more prone to spreading TB than Sheep.
    Anyway this subject was covered very well in Rushy's thread in
    OFF TOPIC.. Page three NZ HERALD NEWSPAPER ARTICLE...Time Bomb Pigs released in Southland.

I just havnt the time to complete you education.

While you are scratching around Savage find me the appropriate article where it shows it is an offence to buy a pig and put it on your farm.
    Last edited by Scribe; 30-07-2012 at 04:56 PM.

Yeah but not where this happened mate. We have an idea of who it was, and the cop is checking them out before they pull the can off matt black out on their bullbars!

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Lucky lots of shooters use those small diameter bullets nowdays. Some of these "shots" fired in this thread have landed pretty close to to their own feet.

I find the situation in central Otago, where a group of land owners have got approval from the police serve a trespass notice on individuals for "being on" back country roads, quite frightening. Roads are public places and to be served a trespass notice while in a public place is crazy. They appear to be saying that just because an individual is in an area they are up to no good. Some may be. But not everyone.
    Your post small projectiles hitting feet made me think of this guy Chris who I happened to be writing about anyway. Chris was good with a pen or even a piece of charcoal out of a fire...Most of his cartoons and drawings have been stolen from the huts now but they all have a story to them which I have forgotten in many cases. Chris shot himself in the thickest part of his foot with the 222. By the time this fast expanding projectile punched a hole in his bullers and sock it was a big little projectile still going fast. The human foot has 26 bones, 33 joints, 107 ligaments 19 muscles and tendons...What a mess. He could have chosen to carry the 303 and he probably wouldnt even have a limp.

Anyway this cartoon is about a poach done on our block, the NW, by some of the NE boys. We were handicapped on our side by having to take both the tails and ears whereas the North eastern boys only took tails...So when they poached our side of the range they took tails and ears and mostly got away with it. But we were all gentlemen in those days and held no hard feelings. We just bided our time and after they were caught we went and poached the Kaweka Kiamanawa blocks knowing the NE boys would be blamed for that to.Name:  2012-07-30-1450-34_edited.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  684.5 KB

Where have you been. Check out Pigs being released on Molesworth Station by DOC and Animal Health Board.

Pigs are no more prone to spreading TB than Sheep.
    Anyway this subject was covered very well in Rushy's thread in
    OFF TOPIC.. Page three NZ HERALD NEWSPAPER ARTICLE...Time Bomb Pigs released in Southland.

I just havnt the time to complete you education.

While you are scratching around Savage find me the appropriate article where it shows it is an offence to buy a pig and put it on your farm.
    Wild Animal Control Act 1977 Section 11 Subsection 1.

sturg4
    Wild Animal Control Act 1977 Section 11 Subsection 1.
    Ehhh.. Come again, where does this act say that I cant buy a pig from down the road and put it on my farm.

And do DOC/AHB have special dispensation to release wild pigs and are they some sort of special pig that doesnt root...eat native plants or make a mess. ???.
    Last edited by Scribe; 30-07-2012 at 05:53 PM.

Ehhh.. Come again, where does this act say that I cant buy a pig from down the road and put it on my farm.

And do DOC/AHB have special dispensation to release wild pigs???.
    Read the definition of a wild animal.

sturg4
    Read the definition of a wild animal.
    Read the deffinition of pig and farm.

Read the deffinition of pig and farm.
    So you are saying you had your place fenced so the pigs could not escape? So the person who you mentioned had gotten your pig had come onto your place to get it? Poaching?

I don't think it's poaching if the owner (scribe) doesn't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    I don't think it's poaching if the owner (scribe) doesn't mind.
    Well he hadn't asked so even so it would be theft.

sturg4
    So you are saying you had your place fenced so the pigs could not escape? So the person who you mentioned had gotten your pig had come onto your place to get it? Poaching?
    I already told you that I dont live there any more so the locals including a couple of my neighbours hunt there when it suits them. The place was deer fenced and had an electric wire around the bottom of the fence. Inside the block were deer (Reds', Sambar probably and rusa possibly). At that time when the tanker driver got the pig it was just off the road on the river flats not constrained by my fence at all . It had possibly escaped, possibly been caught and turned lose out side the fence...Possibly one of the locals had taken it to his place and it got away and returned home or someone had left the gate open... 'savage'.... I dont know where the pig had been and it was dead so I couldnt ask it.
    The block has now been split up and sold and I have retained two blocks so though the boundary is deer fenced there are now three accesses to the block so even if I wanted to control who went on the block I probably would only make grief for myself.

Anyway I like to see people enjoying themselves hunting and if a pig is silly enough to show himself to the locals its, sorry pig.
    Last edited by Scribe; 30-07-2012 at 07:17 PM.

I already told you that I dont live there any more so the locals including a couple of my neighbours hunt there when it suits them. The place was deer fenced and had an electric wire around the bottom of the fence. Inside the block were deer (Reds'
    Sambar probably and rusa possibly). At that time when the tanker driver got the pig it was just off the road on the river flats not constrained by my fence at all . It had possibly escaped, possibly been caught and turned lose out side the fence...Possibly one of the locals had taken it to his place and it got away and returned home... 'savage'.... I dont know where the pig had been and it was dead so I couldnt ask it.
    The block has now been split up and sold and I have retained two blocks so though the boundary is deer fenced there are now three accesses to the block so even if I wanted to control who went on the block I probably would only make grief for myself.

Anyway I like to see people enjoying themselves hunting and if a pig is silly enough to show himself to the locals its, sorry pig.
    Sorry mate, I take some of what I said back.

sturg4
    Talking of small diameter bullets and feet. Now I have a friend who used to draw beautiful cartoons for us. The huts used to be decorated with them..Some done on airdrop cartons with a piece of charcoal out of the fire. Gradually they were all taken by Hunters. Chris was the Bonus hunter on our block until he put a small calibre, fast expanding, frangible bullet... IE 222..50gr through the thickest point of his foot.
    If it had have been a bigger calibre he would have been better off. It would not have exanded quite as rapidly, by the time it had punched through bullers and sock it was a big little projectile going fast...The Human Foot has... 26 bones, 33 joints, 107 ligaments, 19 muscles and tendons. What a mess.
    This is one of the cartoons done by Chris. They all have a story to them...I dont remember them all unfortunatley. I will post some more of them in the magazine section if people want to see them....... I dont remember the story behind this one. I just know it was about a poaching incident when some of the Cullers on the North Eastern block poached the NW block.
    We were handicapped on the NW side because we had to take tails and ears whereas the NE only had to take tails. So when they poached the stations on our side they also took tails and ears and we always got the blame for it. But we were all Gentlemen in those days...the station owners finally figured out it was the guys from across the range doing it so then we ripped in and shot the places up knowing taking tails and ears knowing Attachment 2346they would get the blame for that too.
    Get rid of the extra one for me R93 putting up these pictures is too much.

sturg4
    Sorry mate, I take some of what I said back.
    Now, now, not so fast you cant just slither away I have got my foot on your tail....You havnt answered my questions yet.

How come these pigs that DOC/AHB release dont, spread TB, Damage the environment, eat ground nesting birds, and root the place up.