Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator


User Tag List

Like Tree538Likes

Thread: Hunter shot in Kaimai Range near Te Aroha

  1. #91
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    3,226
    I'm also never going to have a car crash because I'm a perfect drive

    If you think you are perfect (will never make a mistake identifying target) I feel you have the highest chance of making a mistake as you will likely be more complacent.

    It's proved time and time again that's it's experienced hunters that shoot people, much like it's often experienced/over confident drivers that kill people etc
    @Ryan_Songhurst nothing against you as you obviously feel strongly about the subject but your comments about being perfect sends shivers up me after reading/hearing horror stories from members of the other forum that have sworn they will never make a mistake and then have in fact shot and killed people.

    Just remember it's a high chance the person or people involved are part of this community...

  2. #92
    Member Ryan_Songhurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    South Island
    Posts
    5,879
    Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    I'm also never going to have a car crash because I'm a perfect drive

    If you think you are perfect (will never make a mistake identifying target) I feel you have the highest chance of making a mistake as you will likely be more complacent.

    It's proved time and time again that's it's experienced hunters that shoot people, much like it's often experienced/over confident drivers that kill people etc
    @Ryan_Songhurst nothing against you as you obviously feel strongly about the subject but your comments about being perfect sends shivers up me after reading/hearing horror stories from members of the other forum that have sworn they will never make a mistake and then have in fact shot and killed people.

    Just remember it's a high chance the person or people involved are part of this community...
    Can you show me where I said I am perfect please? I said I'm not going to shoot anyone, nothing about being perfect? Bit of a difference between having a genuine accident in a vehicle and poking a bullet into someone.
    #27GANG

  3. #93
    By Popular Demand gimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Big H
    Posts
    7,542
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Bit of a difference between having a genuine accident in a vehicle and poking a bullet into someone.
    Why do you consider them different?

  4. #94
    By Popular Demand gimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Big H
    Posts
    7,542
    The best way to not shoot anyone is to be like me, and never go hunting or shoot anything. Hard to shoot people by accident posting on the internet from home!

  5. #95
    R93
    R93 is offline
    Member R93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Westland NZ, PNG
    Posts
    13,495
    Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Why do you consider them different?
    Scenario for one.

    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

  6. #96
    R93
    R93 is offline
    Member R93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Westland NZ, PNG
    Posts
    13,495
    Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    The best way to not shoot anyone is to be like me, and never go hunting or shoot anything. Hard to shoot people by accident posting on the internet from home!
    You even let old slow bastards sneak up on you in a supermarket

    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

  7. #97
    By Popular Demand gimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Big H
    Posts
    7,542
    Of course it depends on the scenario, but why is a "genuine accident" ok with a motor vehicle (kills a lot more people than firearms in NZ) but the same doesn't apply to a firearm? Either way there's been a cockup and you've potentially killed someone through negligence (depending on the scenario)

  8. #98
    By Popular Demand gimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Big H
    Posts
    7,542
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    You even let old slow bastards sneak up on you in a supermarket

    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    enjoy your milk

  9. #99
    R93
    R93 is offline
    Member R93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Westland NZ, PNG
    Posts
    13,495
    Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    enjoy your milk
    It was sealed. I just checked

    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

  10. #100
    Member Ryan_Songhurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    South Island
    Posts
    5,879
    Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Why do you consider them different?
    There is an absolutely failsafe process that will ensure that you never shoot a person in the bush which involves the simple procedure of identifying your target. Do that one thing, properly, and it will never happen.
    Yes the blokes who have shot people swear black and blue they saw a deer, of course they do, what do you expect them to say... "I saw something move and I thought that there was some kind of possibility it was a deer so I shot it" of course not, they admit that and it becomes the moment they can't live with themselves.
    A vehicle accident can happen for any number of reasons, sometimes because the driver was drunk, driving at excessive speed etc in which case they belong in the same basket as the shooters.
    #27GANG

  11. #101
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    3,226
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Can you show me where I said I am perfect please? I said I'm not going to shoot anyone, nothing about being perfect? Bit of a difference between having a genuine accident in a vehicle and poking a bullet into someone.
    Saying you are 110% sure you will never make a target identification mistake is where you said that. 100% is typically regarded as perfect, 110% is slightly better than perfect...

    Also can't see the difference between having a genuine accident in a vehicle and a genuine accident with a firearm

    Accident is the key terminology

  12. #102
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    3,226
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    There is an absolutely failsafe process that will ensure that you never shoot a person in the bush which involves the simple procedure of identifying your target. Do that one thing, properly, and it will never happen.
    Yes the blokes who have shot people swear black and blue they saw a deer, of course they do, what do you expect them to say... "I saw something move and I thought that there was some kind of possibility it was a deer so I shot it" of course not, they admit that and it becomes the moment they can't live with themselves.
    A vehicle accident can happen for any number of reasons, sometimes because the driver was drunk, driving at excessive speed etc in which case they belong in the same basket as the shooters.
    Or the fact you swore you looked left and right then pulled out in front of a truck

    Or you swore you stopped at the stop sign and then got t-boned

    Or you swore you were driving to the conditions but then slid out on a bend

    It's all a decision,

  13. #103
    Member Ryan_Songhurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    South Island
    Posts
    5,879
    Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post

    Just remember it's a high chance the person or people involved are part of this community...
    That would not surprise me in the slightest with the crazy mindset of all you blokes bsically admitting you don't trust yourselves or your procedures
    #27GANG

  14. #104
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    3,226
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    That would not surprise me in the slightest with the crazy mindset of all you blokes bsically admitting you don't trust yourselves or your procedures
    It's not about trusting yourselves and procedures, I'm more than comfortable with my procedures and ability to identify a target animal

    I'm just not brash enough to say I'm never going to make a mistake, maybe if I was a keyboard hunter I could say that

  15. #105
    Member Ryan_Songhurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    South Island
    Posts
    5,879
    Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    It's not about trusting yourselves and procedures, I'm more than comfortable with my procedures and ability to identify a target animal

    I'm just not brash enough to say I'm never going to make a mistake, maybe if I was a keyboard hunter I could say that
    So possibility you will shoot someone one day, yes/no?
    #27GANG

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Another hunter shot
    By kawekakid in forum Hunting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 13-04-2015, 09:37 PM
  2. Hunter shot Sewart Island
    By kawekakid in forum Hunting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 25-03-2015, 09:47 AM
  3. Hunter shot Stewart Island
    By kawekakid in forum Hunting
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 25-03-2015, 08:45 AM
  4. Hunter shot Motu way
    By Pengy in forum Off topic
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 31-03-2014, 08:50 PM
  5. Hunter shot dead near Wanaka
    By dogmatix in forum Hunting
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 30-12-2011, 01:36 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!