Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree220Likes

Thread: Hunting or fishing under level 4

Hunting or fishing under level 4

Hey Team after last lockdown I figured it was a bit of a no brainer , stay at home however after reading a recent article there seems to be some confusion.

https://www.google.co.nz/amp/s/amp.r...1-8561ee2f16b7

So I had a look at the covid 19 website:

Recreation and exercise
    You are allowed to leave your home or place of residence for recreation or exercise at an outdoor location in your local area that is easy to access (including by vehicle).

You’re strongly encouraged to wear a face covering and should keep a 2 metre distance from people outside your household bubble, where this is practical. You legally must not attend or organise a gathering of people.

You are not allowed to do any dangerous activities, including:

swimming
    surfing
    scuba-diving
    water-based activities with boats (sail or motor)
    using motorised equipment
    hunting in motorised vehicles
    tramping
    flying aircrafts.

Then under the above paragraph ( customary food gathering)

Limited customary purposes
    You are allowed to leave home to exercise Māori customary rights to fishing and food gathering if it is at an outdoor location in your local area that is easy to access (including by vehicle).

You are strongly encouraged to wear a face covering and should keep a 2 metre distance from people outside your household bubble, where this is practical. You legally must not attend or organise a gathering of people.

So does that mean That only Maoris can go fishing & food gathering and the rest of the population can not …that’s how it reads to me , but then a lot of us have been hunting most of our lives it is “customary “ for me to gather food from the bush and river .

It also says that hunting in motorised vehicles is not permitted does that mean so long as you’re walking it’s ok ?
    on2it and Moa Hunter like this.
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

This is the actual legislation
    https://www.legislation.govt.nz/regu...html#LMS536772

There is this clause

it does not involve any other activities that expose the participant to danger or may require search and rescue services:

So they could argue hunting could result is search and rescue.
    Note that DoC have not cancelled hunting permits this time.
    rugerman, Hewie, HNTMAD and 1 others like this.

Mmmm, nice try lol. I think the spirit of the law is clear even tho its as woke as all get out. Unfortunately I'm city bound. If I was rural and on my own land or close private property I knew well and was accustomed to hunting regularly I would just go about my business. I think it is quite a different story to hop in your ute and head to Pureora forest or the like for a few days in the bush.

One of the key considerations appears to be what happens if bad shit goes down and you have to be pulled out by SAR?

I guess common sense applies in the grey areas. And for what it's worth, I'd hate to see a thread like this become an exercise in Maori bashing or bleating about the disadvantages of being white and male. But hey, what do I know. I suspect if you go back a year the topic has probably already been well thrashed. Have fun.
    Moa Hunter, Pixie Z and Cordite like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhon View Post
    Mmmm, nice try lol. I think the spirit of the law is clear even tho its as woke as all get out. Unfortunately I'm city bound. If I was rural and on my own land or close private property I knew well and was accustomed to hunting regularly I would just go about my business. I think it is quite a different story to hop in your ute and head to Pureora forest or the like for a few days in the bush.

One of the key considerations appears to be what happens if bad shit goes down and you have to be pulled out by SAR?

I guess common sense applies in the grey areas. And for what it's worth, I'd hate to see a thread like this become an exercise in Maori bashing or bleating about the disadvantages of being white and male. But hey, what do I know. I suspect if you go back a year the topic has probably already been well thrashed. Have fun.
    Or it could go the other way and be an exercise in white male bashing or bleating about the disadvantages of being a Maori.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Interesting.
    The fellow across the road has a motorcross track. His kids are on it most evenings on their bikes hooning around....
    veitnamcam, Shearer and Micky Duck like this.
    Patience Is A Virtue

2 hunters were prosecuted in the Wairarapa last L4, and the Wairarapa Police have just said that they are clamping down on some current poaching under this L4 (article in Stuff today).
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    This is the actual legislation
    https://www.legislation.govt.nz/regu...html#LMS536772

There is this clause

it does not involve any other activities that expose the participant to danger or may require search and rescue services:

So they could argue hunting could result is search and rescue.
    Note that DoC have not cancelled hunting permits this time.
    No wonder people get confused , if they don’t want people to go hunting or fishing why does it not just say that instead we get legislation that somehow try’s to put us into separate groups I suspect the legislation does not specifically say you cannot hunt or fish because under the customary rite you can and instead put the “search and rescue ” clause in there which I’m sure can be mitigated especially if hunting with others from your bubble in local areas .
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohawk .308 View Post
    That leaves the door wide open for anyone with a bit of Maori in them to go fishing and hunting, and how would anyone prove you haven’t got Maori ancestry..
    You don't need to be Maori to get a permit. I've helped a mate out who regularly gets them. No Maori blood in him.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Check this out if you are not sure:
    https://www.covid19outdoors.nz/
    Scott29er likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by quentin View Post
    Check this out if you are not sure:
    https://www.covid19outdoors.nz/
    And yet straight from the legislation: Level 4
    (f)
    to exercise Māori customary rights to fishing and food gathering if—
    (i)
    it is done in an outdoor place that is readily accessible (including by using their vehicle) from their home or place of residence; and
    (ii)
    it is done in compliance with the requirements that relate to physical distancing (see clause 17) and the prohibition against gathering in outdoor places (see clause 21); and
    (iii)
    it does not involve swimming, surfing, scuba-diving, water-based activities involving boating, sailing boats, motorised craft, or motorised equipment, hunting in motorised vehicles, tramping, or flying manned aircraft; and
    (iv)

Interesting that the COVID-19 outdoors guidelines do not mention customary rites .

Don’t get me wrong I’m not going out but others are and to be honest with such poorly written divisive legislation they should get away with it .

Under level 4 you shouldnt be fishing, hunting etc. But at level 3 you can as long as you stay in your region.(fishing only from shore thou)
    rugerman and thejamesjames like this.

Quote Originally Posted by deer243 View Post
    Under level 4 you shouldnt be fishing, hunting etc. But at level 3 you can as long as you stay in your region.(fishing only from shore thou)
    That’s not what I just read?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

If you read the actual legislation the rules about limited recreation for all and customary food gathering are identical. There are no separate rules for one group of people.

"Limited recreation purposes

(e)
    to undertake exercise or other recreation if—
    (i)
    it is done in an outdoor place appropriate for that kind of exercise or recreation that is readily accessible (including by using their vehicle) from their home or place of residence; and
    (ii)
    it is done in compliance with the requirements that relate to physical distancing (see clause 17) and the prohibition against gathering in outdoor places (see clause 21); and
    (iii)
    it does not involve swimming, surfing, scuba-diving, water-based activities involving boating, sailing boats, motorised craft, or motorised equipment, hunting in motorised vehicles, tramping, or flying manned aircraft; and
    (iv)

(f)
    to exercise Māori customary rights to fishing and food gathering if—
    (i)
    it is done in an outdoor place that is readily accessible (including by using their vehicle) from their home or place of residence; and
    (ii)
    (iii)
    (iv)
    it does not involve any other activities that expose the participant to danger or may require search and rescue services:"
    Moa Hunter likes this.

I would be wary of information from other websites. There is an article in stuff saying that DoC website says you can't whitebait under level 3,but Covid19 website says you can.
    Police are aware and not prosecuting if you aren't breaking other rules

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/hea...rs-in-lockdown

T"he DOC website also lists whitebaiting as one of the activities that is not allowed under alert level 3 yet it is listed on the Government’s Covid-19 website as a permitted activity at this level.
    "