Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree151Likes

Thread: Hunting in NZ, is it too easy?

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Thanks pengiun, much as i suspected

Bloody ill-equiped, clueless LOCALS
    Now you gone dunnit
    ebf likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Sorry. No offence intended, but this data is quite meaningless unless we have total number of NZrs involved and total number of foreign involved. Or percentage of kiwis needing help and percentage of foreign visitors needing help. Just as a ridiculous eg. if in year 07-08 there were 500 visitors involved in the outdoors that's 50% needing help. But if there were 1000 involved thats only 25%.

Thank you to all who have taken the time to read my first post, and follow the instructions and stick to the topic.
    To be clear, i doubt many Kiwis have any problem with foreigners in our back country.

Maths is not my strong subject, but I would have thought that if, for instance, there were 1991 people assisted, and as stated, 245 were tourists, does it not make sense that the remaining 1746 were most likely kiwis. Or am I fik
    deadidick likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Had a few coffees and here are my opinions.

A - Yes, if hunting resources are not managed correctly (better than they currently are) then kiwi hunters may eventually start to resent the ease that foreign hunters can come here and deplete further a resource that will end up in decline.
    The population of NZ is only going to grow, there will be more hunters, more pressure on wild game animal populations and less to go round for everyone!
    B- I think in 10, 20 or 30 years time that there could be regret in 1080ing the shit out of every living wild mammal and allowing heli hunting on public lands to decrease game animal populations to a level that a kiwi hunter struggles to find an animal to put meat on the table...I think that foreign hunters are the least of New Zealand's problem as far as animal numbers are concerned and I think that other factors are of much grater concern - Ballots are a different thing entirely and there will probably need to be a regulated number of places allocated for foreign hunters to prevent kiwis loosing out unfairly.
    C - I think a ballot system on all public land would be detrimental to NZ on the whole as this would restrict a lot of potential tourism and local economies would suffer. Increasing the cost of licensing would be a better idea and foreign hunters would still pay as long as it is kept reasonable.
    D - Just restrict where they are allowed to hunt periodically, foreign hunters are used to a LOT of rules and regulations regarding hunting seasons for different sexes and types of animals and would generally be very understanding because of all the rules that they already put up with in their own countries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Blaser, mikee, Scouser and 1 others like this.

best reply so far Matt2308!

geezus its impressive how focused hunters can be if they think first have a coffee then post
    kiwiaviator likes this.

R93
    What I see a lot from overseas hunters that I have dealt with or run into is a lot are trigger happy idiots that have 10 thar heads between a couple hunters to throw in the belly pod that would not add up to 12" if ya stuck them all together.

8" chamois heads and pathetic rat stags.
    Have also seen it from residents but not having any number restrictions some people from away can't help themselves.

It pisses me off no end and is pretty selfish in a ballot system.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Just another outdoors addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ANTSMAN View Post
    Hi friends.
    Thank you for taking time to read my post.Please read it fully, in a calm deliberate manor, twice.

If you are going to post in this thread, i humbly request that before you do ,you read my post a couple times, go make a coffee, have a sit down and think through your answer reply-opinion etc.
    Also refer your answer-opinion to the relative question.

The reason i say this in case you don't already know is that some people tend to blurt out the first thing-opinion that comes to mind just because this is the internet.

What say you?
    I say that is good advice. All readers should carefully consider what they are being asked and where it is likely to take us (if it can be prevented now)

Consider- I saw "emotion" used to drive the concept of the GAC in order to end Heli Hunting. I see some real or fake disappointment emerging as some of those realise what we have actually got.

Currently- PAYING clients can and do heli hunt in Wilderness area's where second class citizens like myself have to walk. (DoC has given priority to those paying)

Do you think guides paying concessions, creating employment and an economy out of our public resource would get similar priority? (should the need be created)- The result from making overseas clients use a guide might be less access to your own back yard. Think about it.

Be very careful what you ask for and more careful of the reasons of those asking.
    ebf likes this.

As I understand the ballot block that is often referred to in this thread is a random lottery (drawing) whereby all participants are treated equally regardless of their country of residence. Is that correct?

As a matter of curiosity, how many people apply for the ballot blocks and how many permits are issued?

Scotty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you learn to laugh at yourself, you will never be left unamused.

[QUOTE=R93;364593]What I see a lot from overseas hunters that I have dealt with or run into is a lot are trigger happy idiots that have 10 thar heads between a couple hunters to throw in the belly pod that would not add up to 12" if ya stuck them all together.

8" chamois heads and pathetic rat stags.
    Have also seen it from residents but not having any number restrictions some people from away can't help themselves.

All I can say is having hunted with some Kiwi hunters this is the stupidest thing I have read, overseas hunters have far more respect for game, with most living in country's where game selection is key to the production of viable breeding herds.
    Don,t start me on what kiwis call duck shooting.

R93
    Maybe stupid to you toff but I have witnessed this hundreds of times first hand, flying people in and out the hills for 12 yrs with crappy heads and and no meat.
    So I would probably have a better idea than you what overseas hunters are like.
    Besides, I have never flown a kiwi on AATH

Those hunters are elite and really care about the animals eh?

Go bark up another tree😆
    Last edited by R93; 19-05-2015 at 10:01 PM.
    kiwijames and Zamkiwi like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

I joined this forum to learn more about hunting in NZ, to include the culture of Kiwi hunting. This is a very interesting topic and gives me insight as to what problems you, the locals, see with foreign hunters. Does DOC document how many animals are destroyed annually from the 1080 program? I am assuming that DOC flies helicopters after the poison drops to fly out the dead animals, is that correct? Because the animal has been poisoned it has no nutritional or commercial value so what happens to the carcass?

I admit to seeing several videos on YouTube where both foreigners and locals take an animal, cut off the head or rack and apparently leave the carcass behind. (I understand that this is not an accurate sampling of the hunting population but I honestly had the impression that a number of hunters, locals (to include guides) and non-locals, practice this wasteful behaviour on a regular basis. I am hoping that my impression is wrong. Is it common to find headless carcasses and bones lying about from this practice?

I understand that there are no mammalian predators or scavengers in NZ. Has there been a problem for the various raptors and rooks with eating poisoned carrion? I am assuming they are the only scavengers on the islands, no?

So let's assume that a foreign hunter has a trophy beast and wishes to donate the carcass. Is there a way to do this. That is to say, is there either a Governmental agency or an NGO that will take the carcass and process it? As a foreign hunter that wants to visit NZ to go hunting, I cannot take the meat with me back the California because of countless number of regulations and statues, what can one do with the carcass as a more responsible hunter? Are there local restaurants and/or butchers that will accept donated meat?

Thanks,
    Scotty
    If you learn to laugh at yourself, you will never be left unamused.

Paragraph one NO
    Paragraph two not normally,meat is taken
    Paragraph three Yes, and the poisoned carcasses are left to kill whatever eats them, including native birds.
    Paragraph four, it can be given away for private consumption, but health regs stop anything else.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    I believe so. Ask DOC.
    Yep; read your local a Regional Council's Pest Management Stategy. Ours, GWRC, has deer as pests. Because they are!

Quote Originally Posted by highcountry View Post
    Remember to have a coffee and read the original post twice.
    I have been led to believe that it was Queen Victoria who gave us the queens chain so that we would all have fair and reasonable access to our waterways. I believe that our fore fathers, (and mothers) introduced game animals to public lands so we would all have fair and reasonable access to hunting. As a born and bred kiwi, I and all my family enjoy, and regard as our birth rite, free, fair and reasonable access to our waterways and public lands to fish and hunt. We pay reasonable licence fees to take some fish and birds. This fee is used to manage the resource. In theory part of our taxes are used to maintain huts roads etc on public (our) land. I suppose in theory our taxes pay for the management or mismanagement of our game animals. I am opposed to any situation whereby our free and reasonable right to access our waterways and public lands, and hunt our game animals and fish and birds is restricted. I am opposed to any management strategy that restricts me having reasonable success when hunting/fishing. In conjunction with reasonable conservation strategies. So, I am opposed to non kiwi's having the privilege of free unrestricted access to my birth rite. They should pay. There could be a case for me being able to invite my friends to hunt with me as my guest. This is why I am comfortable with the game parks. (It's not hunting anyway). So let the foreigners do it and its a good lucrative industry for NZ. But breed your own animals. Keep your thieving hands of ours.
    +1 Nail...on...the...fukin...head
    gamereaper and stretch like this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt