Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree151Likes

Thread: Hunting in NZ, is it too easy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrnelZB6x2Y

Is it common for Kiwis to kill Red Stag with Sika antlers and leave the carcass behind?

No one has answered the question as to what "should" a foreign hunter do with the carcass if it can only be handled for private consumption? Is there a network of needy folks looking for venison?

Scotty
    If you learn to laugh at yourself, you will never be left unamused.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Maybe stupid to you toff but I have witnessed this hundreds of times first hand, flying people in and out the hills for 12 yrs with crappy heads and and no meat.
    So I would probably have a better idea than you what overseas hunters are like.
    Besides, I have never flown a kiwi on AATH

Those hunters are elite and really care about the animals eh?

Go bark up another tree😆
    I doubt you know more about overseas hunters than me, , so are these hunters you fly in, with guides or on there own

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    I doubt you know more about overseas hunters than me, , so are these hunters you fly in, with guides or on there own
    Bit of both but what does it matter.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by summitdogracing View Post

Is it common for Kiwis to kill Red Stag with Sika antlers and leave the carcass behind?

No one has answered the question as to what "should" a foreign hunter do with the carcass if it can only be handled for private consumption? Is there a network of needy folks looking for venison?

Scotty
    Eat as much as you can/want try and give it away.
    Or our do as our govt does and leave it to rot, preferably poisoned and in a waterway.
    mikee likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar

Scotty
    In all reality the onus is on you, the hunter. You're the one pulling the trigger. Kiwi, Yank or any other nationality it makes no difference.
    If you want to kill an animal, it's your responsibility to deal with the rest.
    FYI I know of no shelter or other NGO type organisation in NZ looking for venison or other wild game but it's not a bad idea. Most of us will recover what we can for own own families and sometimes a bit of barter. You can only hump so much out on your back, which is the kiwi way (old school way anyway).
    FYI our deer are classified as pest but are not targeted in poison operations (no matter what the tinfoil hat brigade think). Collateral (and convenient) damage is probably a better description. In a country with no game management shit happens and honestly another carcass or two left on the hill is not going to destroy our herd. Dead is dead regardless of what consumes the carcass.
    Easiest way to deal with your particular problem is give the forum a heads up where and when you're hunting. I would bet that there will both be a member or three in the area and that at least one of them will be keen for a hunt or at least give you a good heads start. If you look after the meat I will also be sure your host will be able to distribute it for you and might even get you a beer or two for your trouble.
    This is all assuming you can outfox one of our kiwi super deer!
    veitnamcam, ebf, mikee and 2 others like this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Scotty
    are you coming over by yourself? and are you planning on hunting by yourself? I'm assuming you will be getting either dropped in somewhere by vehicle or chopper, give the meat to them after you have eaten what you can.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

I'll be coming with my [hunting] partner, Dead-eye Dawn. I expect that we will get dropped off somewhere that not only has wildlife but is rugged and beautiful.

To only identify a perceived problem without a proposed solution is nothing more than bitching and far from helpful. Hopefully this thread will encourage the Kiwis who hate the foreign hunter game waste to make it possible for us to make our kills useful through some type of game donation facility/organization. If that ever happens, I'd hope to be one of the first to utilize the process.

(Perhaps reaching out to battered women's shelters, homeless assistance organizations would be a good starting point).

Scotty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Scouser likes this.

Unfortunately it is not as simple as that due to our laws and the risk of disease or posion in the meat.
    I tryied to give away profesionally made wild game sausages to a shelter and they wouldn't/couldn't take them.

I'll be coming with my [hunting] partner, Dead-eye Dawn. I expect that we will get dropped off somewhere that not only has wildlife but is rugged and beautiful.

To only identify a perceived problem without a proposed solution is nothing more than bitching and far from helpful. Hopefully this thread will encourage the Kiwis who hate the foreign hunter game waste to make it possible for us to make our kills useful through some type of game donation facility/organization. If that ever happens, I'd hope to be one of the first to utilize the process.

(Perhaps reaching out to battered women's shelters, homeless assistance organizations would be a good starting point).

Scotty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Scotty, dont be put off by this thread, it has gone off on a tangent as usual....i can tell from your posts that your attitude is most welcome in this land, you are both ethical hunters and your showing a great deal of respect...

come on over and have a ball......best of luck mate!

cheers Eric
    veitnamcam, mikee and Toby like this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

"To only identify a perceived problem without a proposed solution is nothing more than bitching and far from helpful."= Summitdog, there's no no bitching mate, rather raising a few questions that could affect something that Kiwis hold dear.Hopefully if this ever does become a problem it can be managed rather than regretfully wishing something had been done.There is no one simple solution to whichever part of the problem is there.

"Hopefully this thread will encourage the Kiwis who hate the foreign hunter game waste to make it possible for us to make our kills useful through some type of game donation facility/organization. If that ever happens, I'd hope to be one of the first to utilize the process"=im pretty sure if you hook up with a kiwi hunter over here who will show you a good time, they could re-home the meat etc.
    Scouser likes this.

NZ is unique in that we have all these introduced "game animals" no predators other than ourselves, very small ranges of some species, globaly rare/hard to hunt species all classed as pests with no limits or guidelines on what to shoot or not shoot.
    Then you have the "kill every mammal with 4 legs" idealist who want to turn NZ back into how it was before humans arrived.
    And the complete other extreme the "anti every control measure"
    Both of which are nutters and should be treated as such as you back out the hut door and go pitch your biv a safe distance away.

The majority of NZ hunters sit somewhere in the middle, we generally have no animosity towards foreign hunters in fact quite the opposite we like to show off how bloody good we have it.
    http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...s-waldo-16661/

Just one thing that pisses us off is not getting ballots because foreign hunters flood the ballot for our land and our animals, In my opinion balloted blocks should only be open to NZ citizens and there mates(wherever the mates come from is irrelevant)

Hope you enjoy your trip to the land of the long red tape and if I can help you out I am happy to.....except with a ballot.

Maybe it is a cultural difference but if someone pipes up with how foreign hunters should "keep their hands off OUR (KIWI) animals: because of the alleged wastefulness but does not propose a way for a foreigner to make the carcass useful, i.e., to allow for the meat to be utilized in some fashion b/c a foreigner is usually forbidden from exporting the meat because of governmental regulations, then that, in my book, is bitching without a solution.

Vietnamcam, I have no understanding of the ballot system or the locations for which it is applicable. I don't know if the locations are more highly prized because there is greater game population but I will assume that is the issue. Is that the case? Are there greater numbers of trophy animals in the balloted regions?

But to the topic of the thread, whether hunting in NZ is too easy and therefore attracts the wrong element of foreign hunters, would not requiring foreign hunters to hunt on private reserves hurt the local hunter? If the foreign hunters were only allowed to hunt on private land, wouldn't the private land owners want to expand there range for economic gain and eventually eat up the public land for the local hunter? While that may seem absurd at this moment look at the lands in California, which are roughly the same size as NZ. I cannot find many public lands to hunt wild pigs (which I think everyone will agree with are just as big as pest as rats with tusks) or Wapiti (Elk). In part because even the "public" land has been leased out to ranchers, who in turn have control to the access to the land. For me, as a CA resident, to hunt Wapiti in CA I would expect to spend $14K US for a tag and guide (that is unless I had a rancher invite me onto his property and he provided me with the hunting tag).

Scotty

Not so much greater game numbers or trophys but some are in wilderness areas and the ballot period allows flying in in most cases which would otherwise be illegal, unless due to a loophole you are aerially assisted trophy hunting with a operator permitted to do it, it is a bloody disgrace to the country that it is allowed at all let alone in wilderness areas where someone may have walked for days to get there only to have a helicopter herd animals toward "hunters" they have just dropped off or just shot from the air.

Please be patient while I am learning about the ballot process, which appears to unsettle at least several members of this forum. The underlying issue is that by winning the ballot a local has the privilege to engage a helicopter to facilitate in the hunt, which would otherwise be illegal for a Kiwi but not necessarily so for a foreigner?

Learn to laugh at yourself and never be left unamused.

Well that is one issue yes, another is kiwis missing out on hunting our animals in the rut.