Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Which Island/Regions have it best for Public Land meat hunting?

Which Island/Regions have it best for Public Land meat hunting?

Is there any database to the public, perhaps from DOC, that predicts the number of game mammals on Public land?

If you hunt (or fish for that matter) to survive the most important factor I would say is having plenty of target species to shoot.

I see a lot of big bucks come out of the South Island, usually private farmed hunts, more so than the North Island. Is this just coiincidence or does the South Island have it better for Public Land game numbers?

Ive always wanted to try the tops of Marlborough/Tasman region heading southward. Not because it has a lot of deer, but it looks like a beautiful place based on what I have seen. Otago and Canterbury seem like a dream to hunt compared to the bush in the North Island covered in enjoyable supplejack :-). But I wonder, how much of the public land holds enough deer to keep hunters fed year round? Does Otago only look good in the high country due to private land hunts, or are the numbers there for meat hunters on public land?

It always seems there is nowhere perfect in NZ for hunting and fishing but each region has something perfect on offer. Even Auckland with its large number of Snapper, Wellington with its Paua and Crays (not to mention plentiful under rated butter fish). Northland holds lots of epic fish.

Just as we are getting older the Mrs and I debate where we should make camp (move to). Im pretty keen on the top of the South. It doesnt hold the fishing Auckland Northland does, but its improving, Paua look accessible and maybe the deer arent in huge numbers but the open grassy highlands a bit further south are just a drive away.

Has anybody else contemplated this and has anybody else ever tried to figure out which regions (not asking for spot x here haha) have the best numbers of deer to fill the freezer?

Cheers all.

southland hunting is bloody awesome but unable to compare to any other reigon as its all ive known, fresh water fishing is awesome with the mataura, mid upper oreti and various lakes, saltwater fishing is pretty average and theres a fairbit fof paua if you know where to look

Quote Originally Posted by Howa1500 View Post
    southland hunting is bloody awesome but unable to compare to any other reigon as its all ive known, fresh water fishing is awesome with the mataura, mid upper oreti and various lakes, saltwater fishing is pretty average and theres a fairbit fof paua if you know where to look
    Didnt they have to do a helicopter cull as of late. Sounds like the feral market is too full to process, a real shame, needs some coordination with hunters, hunters get dropped off and come back with the cull required etc, dunno, logistics are hard, but I see that kind of thing occuring in NZ some time soon. NZ isnt the only country that struggles to manage feral game that it wants to keep but at quota.

It sure sounds good there mate. What is the terrain like, tussock or all forest? As I get older the steep forest is too much for me. Prefer to stalk open areas and maybe glass edges of pockets of forest etc,

I thought the cod out from Inners was quite good? Heaps of paua and oysters? Always the humble butterfish. With a decent boat, scoot over to the Island for something a bit different?

I figure if I move to Marlborough, I can still go sailing or fishing, but I have access for multi day hunts in the hills for deer. Im sure I will meet some like-minded friends in time. The one place that still suits me is Tongariro NP and Kaimanawa. I wish I could bring a 4wheeler in haha.

Not so keen on Tahr and stuff like that. High country meat sacks is what I hope to live off and have fun harvesting in semi-retirement.

MB
    If you're actually hunting to survive, target goats.
    Micky Duck and Happy Jack like this.

According to TV last night (Sunday) deer are running rampant all over the country.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Back2Hunt View Post
    Is there any database to the public, perhaps from DOC, that predicts the number of game mammals on Public land?

If you hunt (or fish for that matter) to survive the most important factor I would say is having plenty of target species to shoot.

I see a lot of big bucks come out of the South Island, usually private farmed hunts, more so than the North Island. Is this just coiincidence or does the South Island have it better for Public Land game numbers?

Ive always wanted to try the tops of Marlborough/Tasman region heading southward. Not because it has a lot of deer, but it looks like a beautiful place based on what I have seen. Otago and Canterbury seem like a dream to hunt compared to the bush in the North Island covered in enjoyable supplejack :-). But I wonder, how much of the public land holds enough deer to keep hunters fed year round? Does Otago only look good in the high country due to private land hunts, or are the numbers there for meat hunters on public land?

It always seems there is nowhere perfect in NZ for hunting and fishing but each region has something perfect on offer. Even Auckland with its large number of Snapper, Wellington with its Paua and Crays (not to mention plentiful under rated butter fish). Northland holds lots of epic fish.

Just as we are getting older the Mrs and I debate where we should make camp (move to). Im pretty keen on the top of the South. It doesnt hold the fishing Auckland Northland does, but its improving, Paua look accessible and maybe the deer arent in huge numbers but the open grassy highlands a bit further south are just a drive away.

Has anybody else contemplated this and has anybody else ever tried to figure out which regions (not asking for spot x here haha) have the best numbers of deer to fill the freezer?

Cheers all.
    I was going to come on here a while ago and ask the same thing. Took an opportunity on this year but it’s definitely not somewhere we want to settle.
    Iv always been set on the Taupo/ Ruapehu area but have definitely been considering going south. The father in law is in Picton and he has great hunting and fishing opportunities but he also has plenty of private access available to him. I’ll follow this post, I’m thinking of heading south for a few weeks to scout the place to figure out if it’s somewhere I could settle.
    Micky Duck likes this.

MB
    I've always thought Tauranga or thereabouts would be a good mix of saltwater fishing, freshwater fishing and hunting, as well as climate. It's a shame that it's now in Auckland's sphere of influence re: house prices and busyness.
    1toeknee1, Micky Duck and Jukes like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Back2Hunt View Post
    Didnt they have to do a helicopter cull as of late. Sounds like the feral market is too full to process, a real shame, needs some coordination with hunters, hunters get dropped off and come back with the cull required etc, dunno, logistics are hard, but I see that kind of thing occuring in NZ some time soon. NZ isnt the only country that struggles to manage feral game that it wants to keep but at quota.

It sure sounds good there mate. What is the terrain like, tussock or all forest? As I get older the steep forest is too much for me. Prefer to stalk open areas and maybe glass edges of pockets of forest etc,

I thought the cod out from Inners was quite good? Heaps of paua and oysters? Always the humble butterfish. With a decent boat, scoot over to the Island for something a bit different?

I figure if I move to Marlborough, I can still go sailing or fishing, but I have access for multi day hunts in the hills for deer. Im sure I will meet some like-minded friends in time. The one place that still suits me is Tongariro NP and Kaimanawa. I wish I could bring a 4wheeler in haha.

Not so keen on Tahr and stuff like that. High country meat sacks is what I hope to live off and have fun harvesting in semi-retirement.
    Southland is terrible you don't want to come down here.
    tetawa, Micky Duck, hebe and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    Southland is terrible you don't want to come down here.
    The weather is terrible too �� couldn't think of a worse place to live to be honest.

Taupo has Sika..case closed for me.

Quote Originally Posted by The bomb View Post
    Taupo has Sika..case closed for me.
    Beautiful animals but like hunting ghosts with my level of experience haha

The only places I wouldn't live if I was solely choosing based on outdoor opportunities are Northland and Taranaki.

Even then, theres something for everyone in pretty much any region. We’ve got it pretty bloody good.

taranaki would arguably be one of the best for goats or fallow...plenty of low cost meat hunts scattered throughout entire region

anywhere outside of a city,where there is public land to hunt on and animals to hunt is good....animal numbers do vary but if you dont get up off the couch it wont matter.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by hebe View Post
    The only places I wouldn't live if I was solely choosing based on outdoor opportunities are Northland and Taranaki.

Even then, theres something for everyone in pretty much any region. We’ve got it pretty bloody good.

Agree about Taranaki. Number of goats is just staggering. Northland? Not for hunting. I would say the worst region for hunting in the country by some margin. Fishing is bloody good though. If you can get afloat, even on a kayak, you could feed a family every night of the week with not too much effort.
    Micky Duck and kukuwai like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    According to TV last night (Sunday) deer are running rampant all over the country.
    Did TV guy see fence too?
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.