Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: Kaimai hunting areas

Quote Originally Posted by possummatti View Post
    Sounds lie Tahu track brother.
    Not many deer there now though apparently theres a few goats in the area.
    Are you meaning the Tuahu Track?...the spot lighters keep going back there so they must be getting something for their troubles.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

I was at around the 500 metre (asl) mark yesterday and was surprised at the amount of new grass growth that there was, usually this does not come until two weeks into September...the kowhai's have been in flower at the 200 metre mark for a week...you can read into this whatever you like but looks like an early spring.
    mucko, Pengy, phillipgr and 2 others like this.

Im looking forward ta spring growth both hunting wise , and buying in tukka for my nags is getting old quick .
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt !!

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    Are you meaning the Tuahu Track?...the spot lighters keep going back there so they must be getting something for their troubles.
    Yea thats probably the one. Just down the road from thompsons right?
    By spotlighters do you mean in vehicles or on foot. I though that was doc land and my permit says no spotlighting?
    Hunt4life likes this.

Yea thats probably the one. Just down the road from thompsons right?
    By spotlighters do you mean in vehicles or on foot. I though that was doc land and my permit says no spotlighting?
    Spotlighters do the rolling country up and around the lakes (Killarney) by vehicle and the tops and clearings off Tuahu and the private land above the pines by foot...when they were felling the pines security patrolled the area, but since they have gone it has been open slather...locked gate don't stop them, they either have keys or just ramp their quads over the gates...As for DoC, yes a lot of the land is theirs but I have never heard of them policing it. Of course the spotlighters would not know of DoC's policy on "no spotlighting" as they probably have never seen a permit.
    NZHTR and Hunt4life like this.

About bloody time it was policed IMO

Doc never used to care about spotlighters as they were doing them a favor removing pests.
    Since a few high profile incidents they probably are more strict on it but how do you police it?

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Spotlighters do the rolling country up and around the lakes (Killarney) by vehicle and the tops and clearings off Tuahu and the private land above the pines by foot...when they were felling the pines security patrolled the area, but since they have gone it has been open slather...locked gate don't stop them, they either have keys or just ramp their quads over the gates...As for DoC, yes a lot of the land is theirs but I have never heard of them policing it. Of course the spotlighters would not know of DoC's policy on "no spotlighting" as they probably have never seen a permit.
    interesting that there are deer down at the lakes. wouldn't have expected it. not really anyway to stop them I suppose . there will always be people out there that are exempt themselves to the rules

interesting that there are deer down at the lakes. wouldn't have expected it. not really anyway to stop them I suppose . there will always be people out there that are exempt themselves to the rules
    If you are ever heading that way, let me know and I will point you to an area that I have found productive over the years.

If you are ever heading that way, let me know and I will point you to an area that I have found productive over the years.
    cheers Spook
    are you a local around there mate or just a frequenter. last time i went up tuahu was just after duck shooting . me and my mate walked up to the hut at the top and stayed the night then headed along that west ridge for about 10km. saw a little bit of old goat sign but nothing pointing us towards any deer. recently i havent been out lately thou managed to get up thompsons a few weekends ago although cannot really venture much further than 5km either side of the track dues to me being only sixteen and prefer no to get too confident and finding myself in a predicament. im currently looking for a riffle as i will soon have my restricted drivers licence therefor i will be able to go up in my time rather than pesting mates to take me up. i have experience with riffles and have my firearms licence. would there be any particular riffle you would recomend to me as i will basically be hunting just the kaimais for now and being a student im a tight arse so dont have as much coin as you more experienced hunters. appreciate any help. thanks

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    he frequents lots of strange places. haha and a local at others. I'm sorry Spook, had to bet Rushy and his apprentices
    Spook and possummatti like this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

some say he sleeps standing up
    possummatti likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Some say the stench of his feet rots a pair of crocs per day

sounds to me he is the stig by the way your explaining him .

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    Some say that he has a chip on his pocket knife, half way down on the blunt side
    "ars longa, vita brevis"