Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: Kaimai hunting areas

Quote Originally Posted by possummatti View Post
    sounds to me he is the stig by the way your explaining him .
    Not the stig, he is simply the spook!
    veitnamcam and Pengy like this.

Very catchy

Spooks the stigs new zealand cousin
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by possummatti View Post
    cheers Spook
    are you a local around there mate or just a frequenter. last time i went up tuahu was just after duck shooting . me and my mate walked up to the hut at the top and stayed the night then headed along that west ridge for about 10km. saw a little bit of old goat sign but nothing pointing us towards any deer. recently i havent been out lately thou managed to get up thompsons a few weekends ago although cannot really venture much further than 5km either side of the track dues to me being only sixteen and prefer no to get too confident and finding myself in a predicament. im currently looking for a riffle as i will soon have my restricted drivers licence therefor i will be able to go up in my time rather than pesting mates to take me up. i have experience with riffles and have my firearms licence. would there be any particular riffle you would recomend to me as i will basically be hunting just the kaimais for now and being a student im a tight arse so dont have as much coin as you more experienced hunters. appreciate any help. thanks
    Yeah pretty much local, I live on the lower slopes of Mt Motutapere...I have never hunted north of Tuahu track as I have heard deer numbers are low and where you have goats you wont have deer, pigs yes but deer, no...as for a choice of rifle on the tight budget to shoot the Kaimai's, I say .303. If you have a few dollars, then maybe .308. I used a .270 as my choice of firearm for many years until I had my STW built for me, but then that rifle was for a particular style of hunting. My advice is don't go under 7 mm until you have the confidence of placement of shot and good tracking skills as the Kaimai's are littered with the bones of lost animals. The Kaimai's is a hard place to track woundies and you need something that will put them down on the spot. Many on the forum will cry out in anguish but you asked for my opinion and you got it...opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one.
    veitnamcam, Bryan, NZHTR and 5 others like this.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Dont agree with your 'got goats you wont have deer' comment spook. Where I was hunting roar gone there was shit loads of both. Sometimes metres apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    Yeah pretty much local, I live on the lower slopes of Mt Motutapere...I have never hunted north of Tuahu track as I have heard deer numbers are low and where you have goats you wont have deer, pigs yes but deer, no...as for a choice of rifle on the tight budget to shoot the Kaimai's, I say .303. If you have a few dollars, then maybe .308. I used a .270 as my choice of firearm for many years until I had my STW built for me, but then that rifle was for a particular style of hunting. My advice is don't go under 7 mm until you have the confidence of placement of shot and good tracking skills as the Kaimai's are littered with the bones of lost animals. The Kaimai's is a hard place to track woundies and you need something that will put them down on the spot. Many on the forum will cry out in anguish but you asked for my opinion and you got it...opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one.
    cheers spook I appreciate your opinion.

Some say, he has a third nipple (always erect) and that he was the inspiration for a 'Bond villain'.........
    Gibo likes this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Dont agree with your 'got goats you wont have deer' comment spook. Where I was hunting roar gone there was shit loads of both. Sometimes metres apart.
    And yet there are areas where there is almost a line through the Forest. Goats on one side and Deer on the other.

Deer are the ones that don't like sharing their grazing with other animals, they are always in the best paddock.

Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    And yet there are areas where there is almost a line through the Forest. Goats on one side and Deer on the other.

Deer are the ones that don't like sharing their grazing with other animals, they are always in the best paddock.
    I suspect it depends on the amount of feed available. I will admit this place could have easily sustained Dundee's entire herd for the year

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    I suspect it depends on the amount of feed available. I will admit this place could have easily sustained Dundee's entire herd for the year
    Was it hard climbing over the fence ???
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    Was it hard climbing over the fence ???
    Drove them flat
    Happy likes this.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    some say that if you pronounce his name backwards, there's a mysterious message there. Some say that it's a cryptic message for the meaning of life
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

One of my hunting blocks in the Cntrl NI have goats and deer on the same grass clearings , guts an ridges ,where the goats are you will the find deer , things must vary from place to place in the country id say .
    veitnamcam and BRADS like this.
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt !!

Quote Originally Posted by NZHTR View Post
    One of my hunting blocks in the Cntrl NI have goats and deer on the same grass clearings , guts an ridges ,where the goats are you will the find deer , things must vary from place to place in the country id say .
    Yes I think so too, a property have access to deer are NEVER with sheep yet will mingle with beef while @BRADS shoots deer in the middle of his flock of sheep.
    Dundee and NZHTR like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

The place I hunted in Wanganui had deer and goats chilling out together. But I have heard of them not liking each other to.