Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree283Likes

Thread: SPCA call out 1080 for what it is - good on you !!

Very interesting that after all these years the SPCA has come out of the closet and spoken out. I know in the past that branches wished to but got told to pull their heads in by their controlling power which is now trading as MPI.
    Last edited by tetawa; 09-01-2019 at 07:59 PM. Reason: stuffed up

Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    Very interesting that after all these years the SPCA has come out of the closet and spoken out. I know in the past that branches wished to but got told to pull their heads in by their controlling power which is now trading as MPI.
    Hmmm, I wonder what’s changed there mind or bought this on....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tiroatedson View Post
    Hmmm, I wonder what’s changed there mind or bought this on....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Let's just assume the message that 1080 is a cruel poison, the deliberate use of which will deliberately inflict cruelty on a fellow creature.

Once you get that - especially if you are also called "Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals" - then you have to pull the plug.

I am really pleased to hear SPCA came out and did the right thing. Stoked. How do I join???
    jakewire, Maca49 and Steve123 like this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Look good they came out and call foul.
    But I'd not trust them as far as I could throw them...... yes they do a lot of good, but man when they get it wrong they can be worse than vegans and antis rolled into one
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Forgotmaboltagain+1

Thanks Pengy:

Quotation: "By "hypocrisy" Mr Morgan is referring to the SPCA saying they do not condone cruelty towards animals, while also condemning 1080. He is of the opinion that by opposing 1080, the SPCA is condoning cruelty to animals via introduced pests."

Why, Gary, is it more cruel for a native species to be killed by an introduced species rather than by an indigenous species??? And do said species kill slowly, causing an agonising death that takes a mean of 11 hours?

Morgan does not admit that 1080 is cruel to animals who have done nothing wrong except be born in the wrong place. He could at least contradict that it is cruel. His omission to contradict speaks volumes.

Deliberate cruelty to animals should be limited to medical textbooks on psychopathy, but in NZ it's mainstream. The shame of it.
    veitnamcam and MB like this.

Whilst there is some merit in the old adage "The enemy of my enemy is my ally" I suspect the SPCA would throw hunters under the bus without hesitation.

Imagine if they got hold of video footage of pigdogs bailing and holding a sow, before being knifed by the hunter.
    veitnamcam, tetawa and Steve123 like this.

I agree, this is a very tricky combination.
    veitnamcam likes this.

morgan is known for his extreme greenie views anyhow .personally i wouldnt piss on the guy if he was on fire at my feet.just another mr rich man gobber!
    chainsaw likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rockland View Post
    Whilst there is some merit in the old adage "The enemy of my enemy is my ally" I suspect the SPCA would throw hunters under the bus without hesitation.
    Imagine if they got hold of video footage of pigdogs bailing and holding a sow, before being knifed by the hunter.
    I see what you mean. That could be very emotive/sensational, but would not stand up in the court of reason. Pig hunters don't deliberately take their time killing off pigs but do it as quick as reasonably possible, including with a knife. Much quicker than if wolves got to finish it off. The word "deliberate" in "deliberate animal cruelty" is key here. Can't imagine any sane pig hunter standing back to enjoy watching his dogs fight a pig -- whether from the animal suffering aspect, concerns about spoiling the meat, or out of concern for his dogs' welfare.

Please don't shoot me down, but I see no absolute problem in developing a hunting code of ethics, maybe worked out by NZDA together with the SPCA. "Prevention of cruelty towards animals" is a good practical concept which gets applied by hunters every day -- not to be confused with vegetarianism or so-called 'animal rights'.
    veitnamcam and Steve123 like this.

Here is the 07 January 2019 SPCA Article from their website: Original Article With Images

1080 - what is it, and what can be done about it?
    07 January 2019

1080 - what is it, and what can be done about it? Share this
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Email
    Copy url
    URL Copied!

What is 1080?

Sodium Fluoroacetate, more commonly known as 1080, is a poison that is mixed into baits used to control the numbers of a range of species considered to be pests, particularly possums and rats. The use of 1080 and other poisons such as brodifacoum, pindone, and cholecalciferol are part of New Zealand’s goal to become pest-free by 2050.

Is SPCA against 1080?

SPCA is against the use of poisons to kill animals due to the level of suffering they cause, as well as the nature of their use. We would like to see a ban on the use of poisons such as 1080, because these substances cause such intense and prolonged suffering to animals that we believe their use can never be justified.

There should be greater emphasis on looking for solutions that would enable species who cannot be completely removed, to co-exist in the environment instead. SPCA also encourages the research and development of humane alternatives to species control, including the replacement of lethal methods with humane non-lethal methods, such as limiting reproductive abilities.
    An example of a human e pest control trap - A24 gas-powered rat and stoat trap
    An example of a human e pest control trap - A24 gas-powered rat and stoat trap

What does SPCA think about 'pests' in New Zealand?

Although SPCA does not regard the lives of one species over another, we do recognize that there is a concern regarding the impact of so-called ‘pest’ animals. Sometimes it is necessary to capture certain animals or manage populations of species for various reasons, including biodiversity, conservation, and sustainability.

In these instances, methods that are proven to be humane and effective should be used. The welfare of all animals should be viewed equally, and people should recognise that they deserve protection from suffering pain or distress, regardless of the species or where they came from. Whether an animal is native or introduced, any measures taken to manage their impact or numbers must recognize that these animals are sentient and have the capacity to experience pain, suffering, or distress, regardless of whether they are viewed or classed as a ‘pest.’

What does humane pest control mean?

A humane method is one that does not cause pain or suffering to any animals (regardless of whether they are target or non-target animals), and the humaneness of a method will be influenced to some extent by the skill and competency of the person in control.

A killing method can only be classified as humane where no pain is caused and an immediate state of unconsciousness is achieved, followed by a rapid death. SPCA encourages everyone concerned to do all that they can to ensure that there is minimum pain or distress to individual animals.

What has SPCA done to ban the use of 1080?

SPCA is deeply concerned over the use of 1080 and other poisons and is working hard to achieve positive change. As a charity, SPCA has limited resources, but the use of 1080 and other poisons is a priority for us as an organisation. SPCA is working wherever we can to change the law, publicly speaking out against the use of 1080 wherever possible. We have also made numerous submissions to government regarding the use of poisons, as part of the review of animal welfare regulations, the proposed 2017 and 2018 TB Free Plans, and will continue to do so at every opportunity.

Why can't SPCA Inspectors stop 1080?

SPCA’s Inspectorate is bound by New Zealand’s current laws specified in the Animal Welfare Act 1999, which unfortunately allow for the use of 1080 under a permit system and within permitted drop-zones. Therefore, if a poison is used to kill an animal and meets requirements, there is currently no legal course of action SPCA Inspectors can take. This is because no offences have technically been committed, even though the poison has likely caused suffering, pain and distress to the animal.
    The green baits contain the 1080 toxin
    The green baits contain the 1080 toxin

I just saw a really upsetting video of an animal dying from 1080 poisoning. Can SPCA please investigate?

Many videos have surfaced of animals suffering from suspected 1080 poisoning, which is very disturbing. If a poison was used outside of the conditions specified by the law, then there may be something SPCA could investigate.

However, photos and videos are not sufficient evidence alone to bring about a prosecution. An investigation would require solid proof of the animal being affected by deliberate 1080 use outside of the permitted drop zone or buffer zone, including evidence such as blood or post mortem results from the affected animal(s), photo or video evidence, and GPS location of the occurrence to prove that the 1080 was consumed by the animal outside of the permitted drop zone

What can I do to ban the use of 1080?

There are many things you as a member of the public can do to help end the use of 1080, including:

1.You can sign or create a petition to the government:Once a petition is closed a member of parliament must be asked to present the petition to parliament. This may be your local MP but does not have to be. Once presented in the House of Representatives, the petition will be considered by a select committee. At this point it may become open for submissions, allowing individuals to give their feedback in more detail.

2.You can sign up to MPI and NZ Government to receive alerts when select committees are accepting submissions: The more people who voice their opposition to 1080 use via submissions when opportunities arise, the more likely that the government will be to reassess the approach. You can sign up to receive alerts by following the link: https://www.mpi.govt.nz/news-and-res...scribe-to-mpi/

3.You can make your voice heard by meeting with or writing letters to members of parliament: It is particularly powerful to meet with government representatives in person, or at least to talk to them on the phone.

Hopefully, if enough people and organisations make their voices heard in opposition to the use of inhumane ‘pest’ control methods such as the use of poisons, the law will be changed and will no longer allow the legally sanctioned inhumane treatment of ‘pests’.

I don't think anyone wants to see any animal die slowly and painfully, but what I am reading here is that if something is going to die anyway, it's probably better if it is the fast multiplying feral predator which is not a threatened species rather than the slow breeding threatened natives that otherwise would not have a chance.

A question for you all. Imagine yourselves in a place with large kiwi population, that is suddenly under attack by a stoat. You happen to be in the right place at the right time to see the stoat in question, with a single .22LR round left. Unfortunately the stoat is largely protected by a rock. Are you going to
    1. take the shot and accept you may not get a clean kill, but try to protect the kiwi population and accept the stoat may die slowly and painfully OR
    2. assume you might not make a clean kill and let the stoat go on with the kiwi killing business rather accept the possibility of making it suffer?

It is not the fault of the predator that it has been born here. But equally it is not the fault of the defenceless native bird that the predator has been allowed to increase.

I don't use 1080 but I do use brodifacoum and cyanide for controlling possums and rats. I've seen unbelievable native tree regrowth and new bird populations in bush remnant stands when the rats are controlled. Yeah rats die slowly with brodifacoum but I think the higher ethic fault would lie with anyone who knowingly allows them to destroy our natural heritage to avoid hurting them.

Enough hunters/trappers might be able to control rabbits, possums, goats, deer, pigs etc. But I don't see how they could control rats, mice, stoats, weasels, ferrets, cats, hedgehogs etc. And getting human control into the difficult inaccessible spots is always an issue.

If this shit didn't kill deer most of us wouldn't give a toss about it or the RSPCA.
    kiwijames, ebf and Moutere like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    If this shit didn't kill deer most of us wouldn't give a toss about it or the RSPCA.
    Bullshit totally fucks our outdoors.Deer birds fish rivers soil freedom.Thar you should pull your head out of your collaborating arse.
    veitnamcam, Happy, Maca49 and 5 others like this.