Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree283Likes

Thread: SPCA call out 1080 for what it is - good on you !!

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    If this shit didn't kill deer most of us wouldn't give a toss about it or the RSPCA.
    That's bullshit.

I care about the unknown long term effects of the stuff.
    Where I live gets hammered with the shit.
    It gets in our waterways and so into us.
    Does long term exposure to minute traces cause cancer or any other ailments? No one knows.

I am not anti or for 1080 but I am anti trusting what the government says.
    The stupidity of predator free by 2050 is a political rant. It will never happen.
    There are just stupid politicians and people that believe the hype.
    At what cost to the environment and people will the attempt have in the long run?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam, Happy, Ryan and 7 others like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

If this shit didn't kill deer most of us wouldn't give a toss about it or the RSPCA.
    When it kills your dog 2 years after the drop you would.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    You're not wrong. The amount of healthy young dogs that die here after a walk on the beach is staggering.

I had no idea it could last so long in a bit of skin or dried up leg of an animal killed by it.
    There's fuck all places I can run my mut here without the risk.
    He will not wear a muzzle. Hates it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    That's bullshit.

Does long term exposure to minute traces cause cancer or any other ailments? No one knows.

The stupidity of predator free by 2050 is a political rant. It will never happen.
    At what cost to the environment and people will the attempt have in the long run?

Trace exposure to 1080 does cause reproductive abnormalities. It seems that in some areas and with some bird species ie Kokako which being nectar feeders are not poisoned that there is a positive effect on population. The forest benefits from removal of possums and more flowering takes place. These are the studies that are presented to polli's. However in the case of the South Island, Kea and Kakariki colony's are killed out totally and Morepork and Falcon populations disappear.
    The issue for SPCA is cruelty - not ' Is this cruelty justified' 1080 causes a cruel death without question. F&B also need to be honest if asked ' Is 1080 Cruel'
    The 'grey area for me is that I admit here to leaving poisoned baits for Rats and Mice, knowing that their deaths will be 'cruel' the only difference with what I do and airdrops is that it is targeted but still cruel.
    veitnamcam and Cordite like this.

This comment mate is quickly running out of traction for a huge amount of people ,hunters,fisherman etc.
    Many lies and deceit has gone on now for far too long,most people can now see through the fog.
    It's not all about deer etc,goes way way beyond .

You're not wrong. The amount of healthy young dogs that die here after a walk on the beach is staggering.

I had no idea it could last so long in a bit of skin or dried up leg of an animal killed by it.

Many moons ago I spoke with a gentleman from the then called DSIR. He made a statement that it will stay in the marrow in a dead deer bone for 7 years. He hated the stuff, that was in the 1990's.
    tiroatedson likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by doinit View Post
    This comment mate is quickly running out of traction for a huge amount of people ,hunters,fisherman etc.
    Many lies and deceit has gone on now for far too long,most people can now see through the fog.
    It's not all about deer etc,goes way way beyond .
    I agree with Tahr to the extent that poisoning of Deer is the catalyst that got me concerned about air drops of poison. The poisoning and extinction (they have never returned) of native bird species on our property 15 years ago is what has really got me angry
    veitnamcam, chainsaw and Cordite like this.

We had the same problem at my last abode R93.
    Got to the point where I was actually asked by locals that did not own a fire arms ticket if I would come and put their dog out of it's misery.
    These people simply walked their animals around the estuary and the river mouth.
    The remains from dead animals were turning up for a long time.
    Whole animals were seen floating down into the estuary after drops,some were quickly pulled ashore and gone after reports to DOC.
    Just one of the joys of living on the Coast eh.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by H&K MAN View Post
    Bullshit totally fucks our outdoors.Deer birds fish rivers soil freedom.Thar you should pull your head out of your collaborating arse.
    Care to provide evidence to back the totally fucks claim? Because there is plenty around showing it to be a net positive to native biodiversity.

Its cruel and it sure as shit aint perfect, but whats the alternative? No more native birds? Even if we had the budget gifted to us tomorrow it would take years to set up train and transition into a full trapping network. What happens in the mean time?
    kiwijames likes this.

R93
    I try to be bloody careful with where I take my dog and am very familiar with poison summaries.

But I reckon I would likely turn into one of the worst anti 1080 types if it ever kills a dog I have.

I don't get it. People should not have to live in fear for their livestock and pets because of some government agenda.

In my district you never see dead possums, stoats or the like on the roads anymore. People say they haven't seen a possum for years on their farms.
    Reminds me of the early 80s when every man and his dog was trapping due to the value of pelts.

So 1080 like trapping works but only if you keep piling it on endlessly.

veitnamcam and Cordite like this.

That's bullshit.

Its been around for a while now, there is a fairly good scientific understanding of the long term effects of 1080 exposure and its risks.

Trace exposure and long term effects likewise have a pretty good understanding of the toxicity, its bio availability, half life and how the body breaks it down. As they understand very well how the toxin works it is pretty simple to track its potential side effects.

There is no added risk profile noted in any of the studies I have read with regards to cancer. Do you consume bacon? Because that is scientifically proven and well understood to increase risk of cancer over time. Botulism sucks ass though so we take the trade off with the cancer causing preservatives.

Thoroughly agree with the predator free 2050 thing though. No chance it happens short of some crazy advancements in genetic engineering. Certainly wont happen with todays techology. I think we could probably get close to getting rid of possums and maybe mustelids but good luck getting rid of rats any time soon.

Its not perfect and I would love to see a reduction of its use, but I fail to see viable alternatives in many cases. I also think people who are vehemently against 1080 so often ignore the fact that it does in many cases help the native wildlife. Focus so much on the negatives that they forget the net result (as least as the credible evidence I have seen shows) is a positive one.

I try to be bloody careful with where I take my dog and am very familiar with poison summaries.

But I reckon I would likely turn into one of the worst anti 1080 types if it ever kills a dog I have.

I don't get it. People should not have to live in fear for their livestock and pets because of some government agenda.

In my district you never see dead possums, stoats or the like on the roads anymore. People say they haven't seen a possum for years on their farms.
    Reminds me of the early 80s when every man and his dog was trapping due to the value of pelts.

So 1080 like trapping works but only if you keep piling it on endlessly.

Yeah man, its a big issue with dogs. They are very vulnerable to the toxin. I witnessed a pig dog die from 1080 poisoning as a kid. Pretty Fucking horrific.

Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    Ive lost a dog to it too. Not nice. But it was my own fault. Stopped using the muzzles too soon.
    Last edited by Tahr; 10-01-2019 at 02:42 PM.

That's bullshit.

The forum represents a very small sample of hunters, and likely the thoughtful ones. Of course it was a generalisation - but I believe it to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by H&K MAN View Post
    Bullshit totally fucks our outdoors.Deer birds fish rivers soil freedom.Thar you should pull your head out of your collaborating arse.
    @H&K MAN You are entitled to your opinion, but could you please explain the collaborating bit?? Facts and details would help. Otherwise it seems that we both have our heads up our respective arses.