Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: First AR reccomendations

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    Let's not forget that even a short or long stroke piston system accumulates deposits, and typically have to provide a gas adjustment to cater for the decrease in operating reliability as they get dirty or in adverse conditions...

Think about the design brief that brought about the development of the M16, weight and simplicity were key inputs. The outcome was an ingenious solution with few compromises, and resulted in a tool much more surgical and precise than many alternatives and certainly it's commie counterpart. Something a lot of us Service Rifle shooters take advantage of now.
    Banana likes this.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

So slightly back to original post, what do you get from a Daniel Defence over a say windham carbine or NEA for the extra $800 ish?
    P38 likes this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    So slightly back to original post, what do you get from a Daniel Defence over a say windham carbine or NEA for the extra $800 ish?
    Pretty much sitting with the same question ...

Just better quality. Sort like asking what does a Sako get me over a Remington 700? That isn't a great analogy though.

P38
    +1

Are you really getting $8 hundy more rifle?

Cheers
    Pete

It may or may not "look" nicer or have better fit and finish, the quality is in the material the gun is made from and the quality control measures it goes through.

For example all the alloy, barrel steel, bolt material, fastener quality etc etc will adhere to or exceed mil spec.

Well the 2014 Daniel Defence edition AR Magazine sold me!
    I would pay the extra, if i did not buy my current AR...
    Name:  DSCN9461.JPG
Views: 523
Size:  162.8 KB

You get sweet fuck all in my opinion other than a nudge to your ego and the ability to make others who place their self esteem on "labeled brands", quiver in their boots.

Depends on what model you get. Feautures, better QC, correct spec parts, etc. Much less chance of it being a turd than a Norinco, for example.

+1 for DI.

AR`s were designed to be DI. You don't even need to clean them if you don't want to (not advisable), just keep some ballistol handy for when it seizes

If your uncle's club is a Service Rifle branch, best to get a rifle that can be easily made into Service Class. Details on the website.

Quote Originally Posted by sAsLEX View Post
    DI has however proven to be less reliable, however the open source articles I can find are rubbish - M4 may get tougher barrel, better mags | Army Times | armytimes.com

I know what I would prefer, and am happy at that

That article refers to the flawed 'Fall 07 Extreme dust test III' from the Army’s Individual Carbine competition. It tested the MK16, HK416, XM8 and the M4. 6,000 rounds were fire through each gun. 10 rifles of each model were tested.

Here it is
    Name:  EDT-6.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  34.9 KB

Notice the difference between the fall and summer tests for the M4. The M4s tested were used service issue guns sent over from the army. In the fall test 6 of them were worn and insufficiently sprung (buffer spring, ejector spring, extractor spring) and were responsible for most of the stoppages. The testers also didn't know how the burst mode worked and counted it as a stoppage every time they yanked the trigger and got less than 3 rounds (the trigger needs to be held to get a full burst).

The M4s in the summer test were still used, but serviceable. The other rifles were new, hand picked by the manufacturer to compete in the test and even 'hotted up' by increasing cyclic rate to give the bolt more energy to overcome dust in the action. THE M4 STILL HAD LESS WEAPON STOPPAGES THAN THE PISTON DRIVEN HK416 AND MK16

The US Army canned the individual carbine competition last year and are sticking with the M4.

If you still think relocating the piston to above the barrel increases reliability, then send me a PM, I've got some magic jelly beans you might be interested in.
    Last edited by Banana; 27-03-2014 at 09:01 PM.
    Bill999 and Herbmiester like this.

these magic jellybeans increase girth, length or both?
    Banana likes this.

Shut up and Shoot
    I tested 2 Wyndhams recently and accuracy wise the Carbine (M4 style pencil barrel) shot sub MOA with 69's and 77's and just on MOA with 55 Vmax's. The VEX 20 inch shot 1/2 MOA or close with many loads. Fit and Finnish were very good. The standard issue trigger was the only let down.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    these magic jellybeans increase girth, length or both?
    Nah, they increase the reliability of your AR.

Sounds like you need some magic erection skin cream. Guaranteed results when applied vigorously.

Name:  0030521069100_500X500.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  79.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Herbmiester View Post
    I tested 2 Wyndhams recently and accuracy wise the Carbine (M4 style pencil barrel) shot sub MOA with 69's and 77's and just on MOA with 55 Vmax's. The VEX 20 inch shot 1/2 MOA or close with many loads. Fit and Finnish were very good. The standard issue trigger was the only let down.
    I have the VEX 20in. It shoots better than I do, with everything (ok, sure, only been fed the cheap American Eagle and the cheap Hornady brass training stuff) and it's been fantastic.
    Trigger sucks. Currently putting money together for a trigger upgrade from Digit/NZAR15