Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: First AR reccomendations

Pretty keen on the VEX myself - but would prefer a shorter barrel say about 16" so I can run a suppressor and keep the length down. What does chopping the barrel involve - you obviously need to adjust the gas port size or fit an adjustable one (but you would need to do this when running a suppressor anyway?) but otherwise is there anything else involved? I am completely ignorant about AR rifles hence the question ...
    Last edited by Shamus; 28-03-2014 at 12:31 PM. Reason: extra information

A friend has got a VEX cut down to 18" with no port adjustment. Works fine.

If you cut it down to 16" it would probably only cycle when suppressed.

I put a carbine barrel on a mid length lower then cut it back to 12.5 inches from 16 and it runs perfectly as of the 250 shots so far
    when you start changing things you are at risk of FTE and soforth

Lower doesn't matter for barrel length/gas system. Unless you have nonstandard buffers.
    E: like, there's no such thing as a mid length lower.
    DAF and Willus like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    Macca I would forget about getting a Tavor. They are too short to qualify as E-Cat.
    I have seen a Tavor in NZ, so they are available. The person also had a FN SCAR-H, first one I have seen in the country.

Another option is the Rainer Arms RUC that SAI Guns has imported. Excellent components and build quality. Rainer Arms are building an excellent reputation for producing ARs.

Rainer will sell directly to you as well so long as you pay for the export permit their end, and have the paperwork done this end. Good guys to deal with

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    So slightly back to original post, what do you get from a Daniel Defence over a say windham carbine or NEA for the extra $800 ish?
    Hammer forged barrel and individually HP/MPI tested bolt and barrel.

res
    The newer NEA's have MPI inspected bolts now

If you can afford it,get the DD-they are very nice rifles. As a the windhams to be fair.

It's actually hard to go wrong with a AR of any sort,some (like the norincos) are just over priced in NZ
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Banana View Post
    Hammer forged barrel and individually HP/MPI tested bolt and barrel.
    And QC and all small parts actually made in house and better features like free float tubes/rails

Quote Originally Posted by res View Post
    The newer NEA's have MPI inspected bolts now
    Last I heard they were only batch testing bolts and barrels. I see on their website it lists HPT and MPI in the specs for the barrel and bolt, so maybe they are testing all of them.

Windhams are only batch tested.

res
    After all the egg on there face with bolts breaking(that the made right) I'm guessing they decided that checking them all was the only way to get any credibility back.

Regardless of brand I will now only use bolts that are marked as being inspected,had a bushmaster one lose two lugs on me. I only found out when I went to clean the rifle so probably still safe but it put the wind up me. Also,it's "easy" to get parts now but I can see a day when a broken bolt could put your rifle out of action for a long time-so I am trying to make sure the parts I have are less likely to leave me with a parts rifle in the future.
    Using Tapatalk

not that I don't believe you but , I googled around a bit to see about nea bolts breaking but can find anything online , as im going to get one of theses rifles I want to know as much as possible , do you have a link to the breaking bolts saga please
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by res View Post
    After all the egg on there face with bolts breaking(that the made right) I'm guessing they decided that checking them all was the only way to get any credibility back.

Regardless of brand I will now only use bolts that are marked as being inspected,had a bushmaster one lose two lugs on me. I only found out when I went to clean the rifle so probably still safe but it put the wind up me. Also,it's "easy" to get parts now but I can see a day when a broken bolt could put your rifle out of action for a long time-so I am trying to make sure the parts I have are less likely to leave me with a parts rifle in the future.
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

res
    Feel free to ask the nz agent when you ring him to order,he has replaced a few for people. I only know about it from seeing broken bolts at the range.
    This is a old problem and not one that you would encounter with a new nea rifle.
    There were threads on the old imas forum about it,but that's gone now
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    not that I don't believe you but , I googled around a bit to see about nea bolts breaking but can find anything online , as im going to get one of theses rifles I want to know as much as possible , do you have a link to the breaking bolts saga please
    cheers
    Some of the very first NEAs into NZ were part of a batch that had flawed bolts fitted that spat lugs at relatively low round counts. For those that had problems, and my brother in law was one, digit shipped them new bolts straight away no questions asked.

From what I've seen amongst our american cousins, shearing bolt lugs is not all that uncommon on a lot of brands of AR, and if your bolt lasts over 10k rounds, you've done quite well.

It looks like NEA are into the 4th generation of rifles now, and it is very unlikely you'll have any problems. Mine is a gen2, and I've run over 3 k rounds through mine without any problems whatsoever.