Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: HRE VS DPT suppressor

Just deferring from the topic a wee bit, but I am curious as to what caliber people are putting suppressors on and for what purpose? Maybe I should start a new thread?

7mm08 - I'm just a skinny bugger so putting a DPT on for a few reasons, to reduce muzzle rise, recoil and noise reduction

I have a suppressed .25-06 and .223. My 223 is basically a 22 with the DPT can on it, hearing safe. The 25-06 is… less of a horrendous cannon with a Hardy can on than it used to be. Unsuppressed I'd get ringing ears even with earplugs; suppressed I still have to wear plugs with it, but at least I'm not wrecking my hearing anymore. (Always wore earplugs playing drums in a band too.) Suppression also makes it a lot nicer to shoot with other people; my 25-06 was downright antisocial unsuppressed.

With the less-than-huge calibers, I think noise is a bigger contributor to the "oh shit" flinch factor than recoil is.

Animals react a bit differently to suppressed shots sometimes too, spook a bit less, or come running back towards you instead of away from you.

Dpt can had a wok out today on the hills. May have converted a couple of guys with muzzle breaks to a dpt
    Kscott and PERRISCICABA like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mattdw View Post
    my 25-06 was downright antisocial unsuppressed.
    I can confirm this statement.

Quote Originally Posted by FletchNZ View Post
    We did a test with a heap of suppressors on AR15's a while back (HRE, DPT, ODL, Waitaki and one more) - HRE was the loudest of the bunch (tested with same ammo and same conditions), gutting cause I owned the HRE suppressor and I paid double what others paid for DPT and Waitaki cans.
    Not surprised at these results at all. Would be good to see some data on the relative sound pressure levels of all units tested on the same rifle though?

In general, larger heavier units will cool and suppress gas and noise better than compact feather weight units, and last longer. It really depends on what is a major factor to consider for the customer - maximum noise reduction, or is weight a major factor. It is all about what is the best compromise for you. Can't have your cake and eat it too, there is no perfect suppressor out there that is what a lot of guys seem to want:

Light, effective/durable, cheap.

Pick any 2, cry about the third.

D.

Effective and durable are separate IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Effective and durable are separate IMO.
    Yes, you're right. Length is another thing guys tend to bitch about too. (No subliminal message intended....! )

Love my DPT. Sits on my FR8 mauser. Makes the 308 sound like a mouse fart with subs. With full power it makes it a nicer beast to shoot with less bark and felt recoil. I have the muzzle can and i like that I can add or remove modules at will. Awesome little unit.
    I am 100% happy with the DPT.
    Lead delivery technician, Bulk orders welcome!!

I had the pleasure of being involved with Daren doing some range testing with a VU meter when he was developing his Blast Reducer. I ran it on my 25-06 and compared it to my full length Magnum suppressor also produced by Daren.
    The peak measurements were taken at a distance of 1 meter at 90 degrees to the muzzle.
    The difference in peak volume between the two units were minimal ( I seem to recall values of approx 2db, and the difference in felt recoil hardly seemed to e noticeable)
    I have been hunting for some time now with the Blast Reducer and love it.
    It's minimal front protrusion (45mm approx) and low weight make it ideal in the bush and on your shoulder.
    I first started using DPT suppressor a when I work for the Outdoorsman Headquaters in Rotorua and can recommend Daren's professional service and great product.
    Kia Kaha. Graham.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 - DPT vs Hardy vs Gunworks Suppressor Review

From the "other" forum, which I also spend a bit of time on. This thread may be of interest to anyone contemplating suppressor purchases in the future.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by LJP View Post
    Overwhelming support for DPT! Does anybody bother cleaning theirs.....or just ignore & keep on shooting??

I have one for my .260 barrel and when Abe was mucking around with it he said the first baffle/part was pretty worn. I have never cleaned it. I still use muffs when load testing and rarely use it in the field, but have not noticed if it has got any louder over time, so I'm still happy. It has had a heap of rounds thru it.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.