Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Newbie: Suggestions for first binoculars?

7mm mag is a great choice for Canterbury tops hunting. If you do get a Tikka make sure you put a limbsaver recoil pad on it. Spend as much as you can on binoculars, they are what find you deer on the tops. Often you will see them from over a kilometre away. 10x42 of some sort are a good idea for tops hunting.
    Yep $4k will be closer to your end budget. If you can buy once, cry once.
    In order of importance
    1. binos (got to find them first)
    2. rangefinder ( can be really hard to judge distance on the tops, also good for, the deers 800yds away, but that knob is 550yds so when I get there the deer is about 250yds )
    3. scope (needs to be reliable and preferably be able to dial repeatably)
    4. rifle
    Frodo and uk_exile like this.

Seems I need difference advice! Was thinking along lines of buy new popular rifle and keep it for long time, upgrading the accessories as need and budget allows.
    What's an example of a used 7mmRM $800 rifle to seek out?
    FYI got my FAL interviews & security check happening tomorrow so it'll be a few weeks before I buy rifle.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    These are a great buy and perform way better than some more expensive bino's. My son has a pair, so I can vouch first hand. https://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/hun...366c01f5ec0797

Nothing wrong with buying a new Tikka T3, it will shoot well without any fuss. There aren't many 2nd hand $800 7mm mags in good condition out there. Are you going to be hunting with someone else or by your self?
    If I was in your place I would buy a Tikka T3 7mm mag and a leupold VX3i 4.5-14x40 CDS scope, there is about $2.5K there. Next a reasonable pair of binocs, last a secondhand rangefinder that just gives range.
    25/08IMP and uk_exile like this.

Quote Originally Posted by uk_exile View Post
    I'm real new to this so a bit uncertain about your comment. Tikka seems to be very popular and hence seemed like a good choice. At moment $800 seems a lot for binos, particualry as first pair. Maybe at later stage I could upgrade but reluctant to spend big now. Initially I thought $2k for basic gear to start (rifle, scope, binos) but now it's seems like at least double that as being told rangefinder, bipod, etc ..........
    Tikka are pushed very hard here by the distributors / big green chain store, so it’s more marketing than the product. Bang for your buck you can do a lot better. T3s are a bargain basement rifle marketed as a high end rifle. Yes, they tend to shoot well, but almost all modern stuff does. I’ve seen some scary accurate Ruger plastic lumps of shit too; but budget is budget. A used, good quality rifle will get you a lot further. There’s some absolute bargains on here from time to time. You will here a lot of Tikka fan boys as the nice man at the shop told them it’s the besterest, and they’ve likely not owned much else. Steyr Prohunter are on sale at the moment for around $1500, again, their bargain model, but much nicer than a Tikka. If it’s your first rifle I suspect 7mm rem mag isn’t a great choice either...

Seems your local - might be an idea to get behind a few different rifles to see what’s for you? Have you handled /shot many different sticks to date?

To answer questions, will sometime to alone but most often will be with wife as she's keen for long fitness walks too. Hope in time to be with other hunters. Will seek out HUNTS course later this year when next being run.

Recently shot T3 in 7mmRM and a Remington 300WSM at local range. Both were ok with muzzle brakes. I outshot the owner ;-)
    Used to have FAL about 25yrs ago but let it lapse as wasn't using it. Prior to that was in school shooting team so hundreds/thousands of rounds of .22 and also was in Air Training Corps so shot hundreds of SLR .308

The reason I asked if you were hunting with others was hopefully they would have a good pair of binocs and rangefinder so you didn't need to splurge on them just yet.
    uk_exile likes this.

Ah, of course. Well equipped friends would be useful! I'm resigned to the fact I'll need to cover the equipment alone.
    Might delay the rangefinder as have done a reasonable amount of orienteering and map navigation via adventure racing. Of course no way near as accurate as a laser but do have an idea of distance.

The package that Stug surgested would be a great set up.
    Nothing wrong with a tikka I have had a few and have also had custom rifles and a Blaser but now I just have 2 Tikka's cause they just shoot so well .
    Nothing flash but it doesn't hurt so much when you drop it on the rocks either.

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk
    uk_exile likes this.

After reading through this all I think that as a new hunter I would just be more confused than ever and possibly a little intimidated by the myriad of advice and opinions. I think that the journey to "becoming a hunter" is an experience in itself and getting your kit sorted is an integral part of that.
    My advice would be to slow down, dont rush into decisions, dont think "I have to have that, now" and if you have to just make do with what you have or can afford at the time then so be it. Dont go buying stuff that is obviously just straight up cheap but at the same time dont go thinking you cant get out and hunt because you dont have a $4000 pair of binos and a rifle thats built from titanium and melted down superyachts.
    You are damn near guaranteed to end up with a different rifle than your first one and this may also be the case with a lot of your gear. Try to at least buy stuff that is at a quality point that will allow you to move it on without too much trouble if the need or want arises. Second hand stuff is great from reputable sources and this forum is a great avenue for finding stuff like that, If you have decided you can spend $500 on a pair of binos then relax and take a breather and wait for something that may be worth $800+ to come up for sale second hand. Same goes for rifles etc. My opinion on tikkas is they are worth about $800-$900 second hand maximum and many sell at this price point, they are a good rifle for the money and will retain that price point if you want to then move it on again, this may not neccesarily be true with other entry level rifles as the demand is not there for them. As others have said you can hook up with others that may have gear you dont have as a way to share experiences and develop opinions on what you do and dont need.
    Enjoy the journey, dont let it all become a bit too intimidating.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Thanks Ryan. Your reply gels with me a lot! Getting equipment that is reasonably priced and popular hence easily resaleable if need be fits with what I was thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    After reading through this all I think that as a new hunter I would just be more confused than ever and possibly a little intimidated by the myriad of advice and opinions. I think that the journey to "becoming a hunter" is an experience in itself and getting your kit sorted is an integral part of that.
    My advice would be to slow down, dont rush into decisions, dont think "I have to have that, now" and if you have to just make do with what you have or can afford at the time then so be it. Dont go buying stuff that is obviously just straight up cheap but at the same time dont go thinking you cant get out and hunt because you dont have a $4000 pair of binos and a rifle thats built from titanium and melted down superyachts.
    You are damn near guaranteed to end up with a different rifle than your first one and this may also be the case with a lot of your gear. Try to at least buy stuff that is at a quality point that will allow you to move it on without too much trouble if the need or want arises. Second hand stuff is great from reputable sources and this forum is a great avenue for finding stuff like that, If you have decided you can spend $500 on a pair of binos then relax and take a breather and wait for something that may be worth $800+ to come up for sale second hand. Same goes for rifles etc. My opinion on tikkas is they are worth about $800-$900 second hand maximum and many sell at this price point, they are a good rifle for the money and will retain that price point if you want to then move it on again, this may not neccesarily be true with other entry level rifles as the demand is not there for them. As others have said you can hook up with others that may have gear you dont have as a way to share experiences and develop opinions on what you do and dont need.
    Good Advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Well said

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by uk_exile View Post
    Seems I need difference advice! Was thinking along lines of buy new popular rifle and keep it for long time, upgrading the accessories as need and budget allows.
    What's an example of a used 7mmRM $800 rifle to seek out?
    FYI got my FAL interviews & security check happening tomorrow so it'll be a few weeks before I buy rifle.
    Howa or Weatherby. As example I bought a Howa 7mmRM (SS) complete with Timney trigger for less $600 a while back. Bit heavier than Tikka (which is not a bad thing in a magnum) but good quality. After a bit ofload dev I had it shooting 0.7 moa in the standard hogue stock they come in. Just be patient, would be my advice.