Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Newbie: Suggestions for first binoculars?

There’s two second hand Savage 270 wsms on TM at the moment for around 700 (I.e. half the price of a Tikka) - they will do the trick, and will likely still be worth 6-700 in a couple of years time. Reloaders have Sauer 100 rem mags for tikka money too, i’d be looking at them.

Ryan is right - you can easily get lost, but the more sorted you get to start the cheaper it will be in the long run. Everyone has their likes and dislikes - I have to confess I’m a little allergic to tikkas - or anything where the action doesn’t fit the cartridge (not an issue in rem mag).

Back to binos - check out the “birder” reviews - those guys are binoc mad, but also good at sniffing out where the bargains lie. Vanguard seem to get a good rap for the $$
    uk_exile likes this.

It can get confusing as you are asking people for their own opinion on products and everyone likes different things. The idea is to get you thinking. If you have your heart set on certain products like tikka then go with your gut. I'm personally not a fan of buying anything hunting related or anything else that is purchased for it's resale or popularity value. But that is just me. If you are that way inclined then do it. It is an exciting journey whether you are starting out or up grading. Don't let opinions take that excitement away from you. That's all any of us are doing is offering our own personal opinion. Good luck and enjoy the journey.
    uk_exile likes this.

I recently bought a Sauer 100 7mmRM, as mentioned a couple of posts back, and the bro has a Tikka 300WSM, I prefer mine. There's a deal on them at the moment, the Cerakote version(came out just after I got my blued one), with a Zeiss(Terra, their entry level scope), rings, spare mag, and I think a bipod, for 2k. It's an entry level rifle, but its German quality, and there's no reason I can see for me to ever sell it, it should do me a good few years.
    My rangefinder is a SNDWAY off Aliexpress for approx 135$ delivered, nothing wrong with it, works fine.
    Good luck with your decision making, and hunting.
    uk_exile likes this.

Thanks all. Awesome helpful replies! I was concerned all suggestions would be “spend more & you must have this as very minimum” but the replies generally have been “spend right”.
    I’ll spend some time in the stores trying for a good fitting rifle before seeking used or new. Had thought tikka as popular usually becomes popular because it’s proven, but I agree sometimes popular can be due to price, marketing, etc and not value or performance

Quote Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
    I recently bought a Sauer 100 7mmRM, as mentioned a couple of posts back, and the bro has a Tikka 300WSM, I prefer mine. There's a deal on them at the moment, the Cerakote version(came out just after I got my blued one), with a Zeiss(Terra, their entry level scope), rings, spare mag, and I think a bipod, for 2k. It's an entry level rifle, but its German quality, and there's no reason I can see for me to ever sell it, it should do me a good few years.
    My rangefinder is a SNDWAY off Aliexpress for approx 135$ delivered, nothing wrong with it, works fine.
    Good luck with your decision making, and hunting.
    Will check them out & particularly if fits me. I’m 172cm so not the biggest person but do have long arms which might be helpful

The range finder hint is great! I’ve brought a lot of misc stuff, mostly minor tools & electrical/electronics, from AliExpress and it’s all been fine. Had wondered about them for rangefinder as they pricy in the gun stores
    Daithi likes this.

Another idea:

If you're starting out and you've got 2-3k to spend, I'd say just splurge as much as you can on a pair of second-hand top tier binos (Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski). Even if it eats up most of your budget. You can still 'hunt' (albeit not kill) with optics, and you'll be able to scout areas, glass them, and learn about your quarry. This will pay devidends in the longrun. Your binos will last forever, so they're a piece of gear you'd do well not to skimp on.

Then when your budget allows for it, pick up a rifle of your choosing. And by then, you would have done so much scouting and glassing that you'll have a good idea where all the animals are.

This approach may take some dicipline. I know that it's super tempting to run out and get a rifle once you've obtained your FAL...but to cut corners on your optics, just to spend extra on an overpriced rifle - it's back to front in my opinion.

At least this way you'll be able to save for quality kit but still get out and observe/stalk animals in the meantime.
    ebf, Sideshow and uk_exile like this.

^^^ @Frodo hunts deer in the nude with a stick and a pair of swaro EL's

True story
    ebf, 25/08IMP, Fireflite and 1 others like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Understood. The advice makes sense. My concern (& why I'm asking advice) is if I spend too much on binos the leisurely rate my budget comes at the animals I'd see via good binos may well have moved onto other areas well before I get the funds for the rifle. Hahaha.
    Frodo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
    One of these? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SNDW...3-ac9d3546cdce

Quote Originally Posted by uk_exile View Post
    Understood. The advice makes sense. My concern (& why I'm asking advice) is if I spend too much on binos the leisurely rate my budget comes at the animals I'd see via good binos may well have moved onto other areas well before I get the funds for the rifle. Hahaha.
    That's why glassing is so important! Because through repeated observation you'll begin to realize they don't tend to move around as much as you may think! Deer are creatures of habit and follow patterns.

But if you shoot the first few animals you see, they won't be able to answer any of your questions.

There's no such thing as spending too much on glass. Trust me. Go to your local store and have a look through some low end, mid range, and high end models. Even during the day you'll pick up on some major differences.
    tikka, Sideshow and uk_exile like this.

@uk_exile similar to one in your link, I got the 1000 model

Do a search on here for SNDWAY and read the thread started by Dougie

One word of caution on RFs try to get one which is rated as water proof. Some are & some aren’t - my first one was not and did not survive a very brief dip in the stream ( like 2-3 seconds) when I was boulder hopping..... or trying to
    Sideshow likes this.

GWH
    Starting out there's nothing wrong with $400 vortex diamondback 10x42s. Or Leopold Yosemites.

I started out with both and have never upgraded. I can still spot deer well beyond 1km away no prob, and see them in low light etc.

Some people seem to think that unless optics cost thousands of dollars you won't be able to see deer.

I'm sure a pair of 4k Euro binos will do everything that little bit better but not 10 times better.

Truth be told I wouldnt even bother with a rangefinder to begin with anyhow, get a rifle and some binos and get out there and hunt
    gadgetman, mikee and bumblefoot like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

The advice has been great! A lot suggesting second hand so I'll keep an eye out.
    One question, do most gun shops offer a pre purchase inspection for second hand rifles? I don't know how to check one myself even if its local and it might be from anywhere so would be buying unseen.