Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Remington in a Spot of Bother

yes their shot guns are a different story imo
    Beaker likes this.

When I was 16 I looked after a remington 700 in 7RM for a bit. Even at 16, holding that thing made me feel old. I knew if I held it for too long, that I would gain 30 years and buy a corolla. It was as close as a teenager can come to a midlife. Promptly gave it back and bought a sports car
    veitnamcam, Beaker, Gibo and 1 others like this.

If they made a machined accurate action with a Timney good trigger with their 5r barrels and a better stock and charged the same as a tikka they would do a lot better. There are a lot of custom rifles here in nz being made from 700 actions and having another $700 ish spent on them to make them good and changing barrel, trigger and stock and they shoot great why not do it themselves. That's what the market wants.

No one clones a tikka t3 action because why would you. Too light for heavy long or just long barrels which is what the rage is.
    Tikka t3 is very popular because it is the most pushed rifle by the big brand retailers. Not because it is the best rifle. I've seen them doing it in the shops. They thrust a t3 at an unsuspecting young guy and when they are not sure they pull down a browning x bolt and the customer say that's nice.
    I will probably get flack from the t3 brigade. Sorry but I can't stand them. Browning all the way.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    Remington were the go to standard for an accurate rifle back in the 90's. There are probably more aftermarket parts for Remingtons for a reason. They had a lot of innovative models; Sendero, Alaskan Wilderness Rifle; Mountain Rifle; Titanium; Model 7 to name a few.
    They were the benchmark for accuracy, like a T3 is now.
    Pity they tried to race the others to the cheapest rifle.
    I am quoting Stug again, however I think he is correct
    I have a 1990 made rem BDL 30 06 that will , every time, print less than a 1 " group with Winchester 150gr ammo
    My Mountain rifle which I replaced the Remington trigger on for a timney only went to buy a Finn light It was very accurate easily 1.5 inch with factory 280, this is good from a pencil thin barrel

Remington with the push rd feed was, in the day considered a more accurate rifle than the Winchester with their controlled rd feed as it was the considered opinion of everyone that wrote to and for magazines that it locked up tighter, though, some writers had some difficulty explaining the excellent accuracy or the post 64 push feed as they did the Remington 788, which was hurriedly discontinued as accuracy seemed to far exceed the 700
    788's in 22 250 etc are still very much valued today.
    The Remington triggers, apart from the 40x , are shit, they either don't go off or they go off when they shouldn't.
    Last edited by jakewire; 01-12-2017 at 08:34 PM.
    csmiffy likes this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    I am quoting Stug again, however I think he is correct
    I have a 1990 made rem BDL 30 06 that will , every time, print less than a 1 " group with Winchester 150gr ammo
    My Mountain rifle which I replaced the Remington trigger on for a timney only went to buy a Finn light It was very accurate easily 1.5 inch with factory 280, this is good from a pencil thin barrel

Remington with the push rd feed was, in the day considered a more accurate rifle than the Winchester with their controlled rd feed as it was the considered opinion of everyone that wrote to and for magazines that it locked up tighter, though, some writers had some difficulty explaining the excellent accuracy or the post 64 push feed as they did the Remington 788, which was hurriedly discontinued as accuracy seemed to far exceed the 700
    788's in 22 250 etc are still very much valued today.
    The Remington triggers, apart from the 40x , are shit, they either don't go off or they go off when they shouldn't.
    Good point 788s seem to be a nicely made rifle. Maybe they should have shelved the 700 design and continued the 788?

The only Remington I have ever owned, is a versamax tactical 12g. Still have it and really really rate it. Only mod was to extend the carrier, so it didn't remove the end of thumb while 2 up loading.

The center fire range of rifles - museums are created for a reason.
    Plus they just seem ugly and crap.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

I have a V3 and in my opinion it is the best semi I've ever owned.
    A330driver likes this.

Remington has either been too innovative too fast or too slow to react.
    They were the first to come up with the carbon wrapped barrels in the 90's as well as the electronic ignition , but the 260 Remington launch was probably one of their big flops ( with the 6.5 Remington magnum and the 244).
    the 260 was launch in only a couple of rifles( 700 bdl and mountain), with only two loads and what killed it was the 1 in 9" factory twist. Just when long range shooting was becoming more and more popular!
    Had they produced rifles in 1 in 8" twist and in their varmint/police configuration with a couple of match loads , they would had lead the industry and sold them like hot cakes.
    They came with their short magnums when Winchester was already ahead with theirs.
    And they are just starting to produce rifles in 6.5 creedmoor when they could have done so 5 or 6 years ago!

Savage and ruger have always been on the forefront to launch guns in the new fashionable calibres .
    Rich007 likes this.

Bus driver
    Quote cowboy6...”I will probably get flack from the t3 brigade. Sorry but I can't stand them. Browning all the way.”

None from me mate,and I have both..The Browning 300,and the Tikka 300,enjoy both.Personal selection is what we are talking here,I certainly don’t begrudge anyone’s choice.Remington shotguns are great,some of their centrefires IMO are shit,so be it.There was a time in Kiwi,where selection was the Pitts,not anymore,so we will have more opinions than a bull can shit,I’m ok with that.

My first rifle,was a 303 out of a rubbish tin,(there were a dozen of them)from the gun Shop at the top of Cuba st in wgtn ,$20,I still have the bassturd,shoots just fine.....looks ugly,but then again,so am I ...and I still get laid!
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

A330,driver You must have got a pretty one, mine was $17.50, and like you Ive still got it, the lee bolt is a thing of beauty to operate.

Bus driver
    MH...lol....agree totally,I picked through all of them,they were all beat up,had know idea WTF I was looking for.Uncle and I stripped the bugger down,sanded,resanded rear and front stocks,a bit of stain,varnish etc,and she looked a bloody beauty to behold.........didn’t take long before I fell over and dropped it in the Tararuas and put a bloody big dent in it........the novices we once were mate

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    A330,driver You must have got a pretty one, mine was $17.50, and like you Ive still got it, the lee bolt is a thing of beauty to operate.
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

This thread is quite humorous, a bit like Hilux, or Ford vs Holden debate.
    Many of comments are correct regarding triggers, terrible safety system(ok in its day) etc but there's no denying Remmington pretty much dominated the boltaction rifle market internationally for decades for a good reason and I guess they just rode that gravy train untill the others caught up. These things never last and other brands rise to the occasion and companies cut costs and quality drops off.
    Rifles are very cheap today so we often get what we pay for, pretty sure 20~30 years ago were simular price, in fact might have paid a bit more for my 870 pump 25 years ago.
    There are many other reasons to still buy them as often the cheapest way to semi custom to shoot long seated hi bc bullets in a number of calibre that much harder with Tikkas.
    A Ruger American or Savage in simular price point shoot just as well out of the box as a Tikka or Browning for much less. The later 2 much nicer finished/machining of course but no difference getting job done.
    One thing for sure, many posters haven't actually shot a nice Remmington, admittedly tuned and trigger replaced.

DLW
    Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    well just shot my rem 700 long range in 7mm wont extract without a bit of force. groups well but what the point if you cant reload in a hurry
    REMINGTON make your first shot count cause there might not be second

https://www.remington.com/

Ask at your local hunting and thieving.

I've got a couple Remington rifles, and sold on several others, both the .17 fireballs I had m7 & m700 didn't feed well, and would sumtimes double feed, also not great in accuracy, the stainless mountain rifle I bought in late 80,s had to have the machining finished, on the top of the ramp and the ten lb trigger fixed, got a limited run stainless CDL stainless, in 6mm Remington left, really like it.

Remington's problem is the lowered quality, they concentrated on lower end fire arms, and reduced the options and choices, in there high end guns for years, Winchester, Montana, browning, Kimber, Henry, Ruger, have expanded, and continued to make quality, accurate, and well supported rifles, shotguns,
    New arrivals into American marked, have increased, and others expanded product lines, ie Sako, Tikka, Howa, CZ, Markel etc
    The bean counters at Remington, tarnished remington reputation, and other manufactures have capatialized on it.

I live much of the year in Alberta, Canada, and its obvious, when going into a madjor sports store, that others have gained market share, Winchester M70 are so popular, that they are luckily to have any on hand, henery, Howa, Will both have as many firearms on display as Remington, a lot of guys who started out with a cheap rifles, are looking for a better rifle next time, and skipping Remington,
    Personally, I rather a M70 over a m700, and my gun safe now consists of Sako, Kimber CZ, Winchester, and coopers, with one ruger 77 in .358 win
    Two Remington M700, a 6mm Remington and an old m700 in 300H&H.