Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Return of the 7 x 57 Mauser

@bunji a few here just to tease you with........ The last one is interesting!?
    https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/rifles...90321133659003
    https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/rifles...10511103235006
    https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/rifles...11209184303001
    https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/rifles...20114154721006
    https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/rifles...10216145714004
    Quote Originally Posted by bunji View Post
    @chainsaw Yep l have posted before that IMO the 7x64 is one of the most underrated hunting rounds going ,while l was in Africa another Guide had a French Built Mauser in 7 X64 & he hardly used it because we were supplied with a lot of RWS ammo & all he was given were from memory 174 Grn Soft points for it & they kicked him badly .I loved the classic stock on the rifle & used it a fair bit on Bait gathering hunts & the recoil never bothered me so he offered it to me just as l was leaving for a spell at home, l said l will take it on a few hunts here & try it with lighter weight bullets & see how it goes . Bugger me the thing loved 162 a-max doing around 2800fps in the 24" barrel & shot 150 gn partitions into 1/2 inch ,this is where l buggered up as l rang him & let him know l had taken 1/2 a dozen deer & a Tahr with those loads & they were very mild too shoot & he decided he would hang onto the rifle & take it home to Germany & try my reloads .It has always been in the top 3 guns l should have brought .

I have a small collection of older Sako's & have always said l will add a Sako AV in 7x64 if one comes up here ,other wise the next time we go to the US l will put the word out as they use them for Moose & Elk rifles.
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

@Sideshow You bastard, another Rabbit Hole to fall in to
    csmiffy likes this.
    "Fair Winds and Following Seas" - Capt Ron You Glorious Bastard.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Huntfisheat View Post
    Your bullets, having longer brass, weigh more than mine do, so I can carry more rounds for the same weight and therefore shoot more animals.
    Worse for you, Hornady Superperformance, which I don't bother to load myself because they are super accurate,at 2950 FPS, are showing no signs of pressure whilst producing 10mm 200 metre 15 shot groups, which I refuse to display because I don't want to make you all envious of my superior shooting skills, mostly due to the virtue of the practically non existant recoil of this far superior round. The 7mm08 in an 8 pound rifle using a 140g projectile has 12.6lbs of recoil, whilst the 7 X 57 in an 18 lb rifle using the same weight projectile has 31.9lbs of recoil. I did NOT just make that up.
    I feel like saying "nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah again, but I'm too mature for that.

My cartridges are longer than yours.

18lb rifle producing 31.9lbs recoil..........a 50 BMG maybe

7x57 is an awesome round...the mighty 270winchester is often compared to it...and thats good enough for this K1W1.
    Waldo Peens and rewa like this.

@bunji if it wasnt so hard to get into NZ ad get rifles on my ticket here Id pick that Parker Hale and get it to you! mind you the first three on the list are also bloody good! @Huntfisheat 18lb rifle time for another beer lol
    Quote Originally Posted by bunji View Post
    @Sideshow You bastard, another Rabbit Hole to fall in to

The Dynamit noble has a funny looking stock and the cut out by the action looks naff.
    The Schultz and Larson looks like a cracker. Bet the mounts are a bit pricey.
    Parker hale would work well, 4th one is gone so won't comment but not a real fan of that Mauser 66. I'd have it if some gave it to me but other rifles id buy before I would buy that.
    Sideshow likes this.

Banned
    On the cover of the old mountain safety council firearms handbook is a photo of a beautiful custom 98, engraved and slimmed but not over done. That in something traditional ( 7x57 7x64 etc ) would be my dream rifle.
    Sideshow likes this.

Yeah @Moa Hunter my custom BSA is a heavy bugger Id not want to lug it up some kiwi hills ok for the flats of Berkshire. Might look at sliming it a bit but Im getting good groups so a little bit lothed to just enjoying it at the moment. The last buck dropped so fast he didnt even get time to spit out his grass!

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    On the cover of the old mountain safety council firearms handbook is a photo of a beautiful custom 98, engraved and slimmed but not over done. That in something traditional ( 7x57 7x64 etc ) would be my dream rifle.

That is fantastic news, looks like my son is getting my Sako 30-06 so I can make room for one.

If the Mauser M18 in 7x57 makes it here it will be a nice option in what is a really solid performing rifle. Just hope that along with them is a supply of 7x57 ammo and components otherwise they won't get off the shelves like the 6.5prc isn't at present.

There's a lot of nostalgia that goes with the 7x57 for us older types. Even accepting that the 7-08 is as good or better.
    nor-west and rewa like this.

If anyone really wants to play the 'my rifle is faster than yours ' game, Alpha Muntions now have 7mm08 brass with their optimised case head design. Supposedly takes insane pressures.

I think the 7x57 will lose out due to the fact that no one really bothers to make exceptional brass for it. RWS maybe...

Lapua make 7x64 brass...

But some of the old CRF Mauser actions will probably let go long before the cases will, not saying anyone should ever go out of their way trying to burst a brass case of course!
    grandpamac likes this.

JLF
    Very good decision from Mauser. The 7mm is one of the best calibers.
    bunji likes this.
    There is still gunpowder left, the Grim Reaper can wait.

Plain Jane Ruger M77 7x57, but special to me.
    Shoots great, and now with bedded stock, shoots even better.
    Prefers round nose projectiles.
    Name:  Ruger M77R 7x57 Mauser.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  53.3 KB
    john m, erniec, Pauli and 3 others like this.
    The Truth shall make ye fret.

I used an old Parker Hale 7x57 for culling in the Scottish Highlands, great calibre. Obviously it wouldn't work now as it hadn't had lots of money spent on customising and load development, etc, etc.
    308, Woody, Basenjiboy and 1 others like this.