Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Return of the 7 x 57 Mauser

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    If the Mauser M18 in 7x57 makes it here it will be a nice option in what is a really solid performing rifle. Just hope that along with them is a supply of 7x57 ammo and components otherwise they won't get off the shelves like the 6.5prc isn't at present.

There's a lot of nostalgia that goes with the 7x57 for us older types. Even accepting that the 7-08 is as good or better.
    There is plenty of brass around as factory ammo, and 7mm is the second most common calibre for projectiles after .308
    The 7mm08 is only better if you keep the 7x57 to the low pressures of a Remington Rolling block. There is no reason not to run the cartridge at the same pressures as a .308 or a .270, 60-65psi, in which case (pun intended) the 7mm is a better cartridge all round, unless you insist on a short action. 7x57 are usually loaded in long actions unless they come in the Mauser action the cartridge was developed for.

If you have a 7x57 you have to handload. Otherwise I would have a 7mm08.

Nostalgia? Nostalgia doesn't make my 140 bullets go over 2900 fps and my 160 grainers hit 2700fps and shoot half inch groups. That's the Mauser magic that does that.
    WireWorking, Barnes130 and Longrun like this.

I think a selling point of the older 7x57s were a twist and throat suited to heavier projectiles.
    If going to big round noses for bush hunting stags then maybe a selling factor.
    Ultimately probably bugger all difference in reality

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDuxbury View Post
    There is plenty of brass around as factory ammo, and 7mm is the second most common calibre for projectiles after .308
    The 7mm08 is only better if you keep the 7x57 to the low pressures of a Remington Rolling block. There is no reason not to run the cartridge at the same pressures as a .308 or a .270, 60-65psi, in which case (pun intended) the 7mm is a better cartridge all round, unless you insist on a short action. 7x57 are usually loaded in long actions unless they come in the Mauser action the cartridge was developed for.

If you have a 7x57 you have to handload. Otherwise I would have a 7mm08.

Nostalgia? Nostalgia doesn't make my 140 bullets go over 2900 fps and my 160 grainers hit 2700fps and shoot half inch groups. That's the Mauser magic that does that.
    yes, this is my experience with the 7 x 57. Loaded to same pressure has a bit more smoke than the 7mm08 and as smiffy mentioned can seat heavy and long projectiles out with the looong throat.
    I still shoot my 7mm08 supressed tikka better though

One for you @bunji pretty flash with a bit of history.
    27"+ barrel so could be loaded quite quick

https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=101829287
    Sideshow likes this.

My experience with a long throated 7 mm mauser (of which most are) it is difficult to better and some cases match 7mm-08 velocities with similiar weights without walking the pressure tight rope.
    Longrun likes this.

my 7x57 with strong action will get 120 nosler at 3246fps with W760
    csmiffy and shananah like this.