Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: "Shooting" day pack vs "normal" day pack

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Looks like the Lions beat you to the deer Gibo
    Drop bears i think

I'm a tight arse. I just use a Macpac Torlesse 35. Got for about $100 on the clearance list. Depending on how it stands, on back, side or end and where along it I rest the rifle I can vary the height. Carries enough for me and if wet it has a built in rain cover. Doesn't worry me that it isn't camo; if anything can see it it's behind me where I'm not looking. Tighten the compression straps if not carrying much and expand when needed.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

agree with Bruce on this one...Ive shot many animals using the frame of pack as a rest...yes its a dreaded hand samwich but it works to get me above tussocks.
    soft pikau works good prone,you just screw it up tighter rather than have to stuff it over full

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    I have a small Markhor 32 L pack it has a wire frame that is light but makes it strong enough that you can stand it on end and shoot off the top of it for elevation. It is designed to be quite low on your back, so doesnt suffer from getting hung up.
    I've got the Markhor 45L Elk Mtn pack and really like it. It's actually the second one I've owned. It has a metal support slat down the back so stays rigid enough to use as a rest for sitting shots. Ideally I prefer to get prone, but I did recently take a deer at 250m with a sitting shot using the pack for a rest as I couldn't get prone due to terrain. Worked well. The 45L pack I regularly use for 2-3 day hunts, but it's also not too massive for a day pack, although usually for day trips I just use a 22L Kathmandu pack.

I use a fleece Pikau from huntech.

Unless it's full its not very useful as a rest.

Do people find that they prefer a small day pack over a Pikau? It's pretty quiet and cheap.
    Nathan F likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    I'm a tight arse. I just use a Macpac Torlesse 35. Got for about $100 on the clearance list. Depending on how it stands, on back, side or end and where along it I rest the rifle I can vary the height. Carries enough for me and if wet it has a built in rain cover. Doesn't worry me that it isn't camo; if anything can see it it's behind me where I'm not looking. Tighten the compression straps if not carrying much and expand when needed.
    Perhaps I'll have to give my Deuter 38L day pack a go, seem's like all packs/bag suffer the same fate if not loaded full of stuff.
    As it has a bit of a frame it may be an improvement though.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    What about the traditional time proven method using your mustering / hill stick as a rest ? Sitting position with point of stick trapped in your right instep and the stick laying across at 45 degrees onto left knee. Stick and fore -end gripped with left hand.
    Or if you're a 21st century dude and use trekking poles, loop each wrist strap over the opposite pole's handle to create a small saddle and splay the poles out into a bipod. The neat thing about trekking poles is that (if you've got time) you can adjust the length to get the perfect height for uphill / downhill / cross-slope shots.
    Cliff likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    I've got an 18l macpac and a 22l osprey. The osprey has a lot of pockets and elasticated bits that make it handy as well as a gap in the back for a camelpack. It does sometimes get hung up in the Bush though but I can squeeze a good sized nanny into it along with all the other stuff I carry. For overnight trips I either use a 65l osprey or 45l spika pack. The spika pack has a rifle scabbard but the zip ends have started to Come off. It's not a bad pack though.

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Drop bears i think
    That was out the back of Tarawera ? Haven for them, just like Canterbury is for tahr ?

I use a fleece pikau. Seldom any shortgage of junk filling it up. I rest it on top of a rock or log if needed. Bumbags can give extra height.

My Macpac Pursuit 40 NZAT is good too and naturally big enough with overnight gear in it. It doesn't seem to be available at present. It has no frame except a removable slab of closed cell foam. Sits very well on my back for carrying loads and doesn't have a waist band worth mentioning. It rests on my waist bumbags.
    Last edited by Bagheera; 29-01-2020 at 11:21 AM.
    Russian 22. likes this.

MB
    I've finally sorted out a bumbag/belt system that works for me. So nice not to have anything on my back.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    I've finally sorted out a bumbag/belt system that works for me. So nice not to have anything on my back.
    This sounds interesting. Do tell!

MB
    No rocket science. I got some stiffish webbing, added a quality fastex buckle, then added pouches to suit my needs.

- Small pouch for emergency equipment
    - Large pouch for waterproof jacket
    - Large pouch for torch, meat sack/strap, knife and a few other bits and pieces
    - Drink bottle pouch which has a pocket on it which will hold 3 x OSM and some beef jerky (enough for a day hunt)

I also have an additional large pouch which will hold a light down jacket.

I used triglides to hold the pouches on either end in place (pouches sliding around is really annoying) and have a shoulder strap which takes the weight of the drink bottle, so the belt doesn't sag.

In the unlikely event that I actually shoot an animal, harvested meat goes in the meat sack which can be carried on my back.

It sounds more complicated than it is! The right side of the belt does not have pouches on it, so good for putting rifle sling on shoulder, and as I eluded to in my previous post, no more sweaty back!

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    I use a fleece Pikau from huntech.

Unless it's full its not very useful as a rest.

Do people find that they prefer a small day pack over a Pikau? It's pretty quiet and cheap.
    screw it up with off hand when you want to use it.....you dont need buggerall in them to be enough.
    Russian 22. likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    No rocket science. I got some stiffish webbing, added a quality fastex buckle, then added pouches to suit my needs.

- Small pouch for emergency equipment
    - Large pouch for waterproof jacket
    - Large pouch for torch, meat sack/strap, knife and a few other bits and pieces
    - Drink bottle pouch which has a pocket on it which will hold 3 x OSM and some beef jerky (enough for a day hunt)

I also have an additional large pouch which will hold a light down jacket.

I used triglides to hold the pouches on either end in place (pouches sliding around is really annoying) and have a shoulder strap which takes the weight of the drink bottle, so the belt doesn't sag.

In the unlikely event that I actually shoot an animal, harvested meat goes in the meat sack which can be carried on my back.

It sounds more complicated than it is! The right side of the belt does not have pouches on it, so good for putting rifle sling on shoulder, and as I eluded to in my previous post, no more sweaty back!
    F**** rocket science that’s pure genius! Good job. Would love to see a pic if you have the time. But I know it’s fiddly.

I use a Markhor 35ltr for day and light overnighting.
    It's a great little pack with lots of features, pockets etc so you can get to stuff easily without dumping everything out. Including 2 on the waist belt
    The light wire frame is great at keeping it off your back in this hot weather. Just the waist belt and shoulder straps get sweaty.
    Down side is weight 1.8kg and cost. Does included Fluro hood, rain cover, whistle, rigged for hydo tube and bladder.
    Also have a single pocket mackpac 25ltr day bag and while it's light it's useless as a hunting rest. It's a loner now.
    The Markhor is stiff enough to use flat or sideways. Never thought to try it on end but could be handy for down hill sitting shots.
    Z
    Beetroot likes this.