Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Supressors.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    [/B]
    Use a really high tensile steel (read high carbon) so you can run thinner wall thickness.Unfortunately this will result in a very short service life as toughness seams inversely proportionate to strength
    Sorry but bs. If that was the case then please explain all the XXS pipe going into the ground in Aussie? 1000's of km's of pipeline that won't last?.......

UB and UC is the same as comparing that 16mm rod to 32mm rod. To different horses, yet funnily enough the prefect example. No one uses UB then welds stiffeners onto it to make it stronger, they go get UC cause it is so much stronger. So why flute for the 10% gain that Spanners(?) was talking about. That logic you are talking about says go heavier.

In fact all the engineers, sorry, engineering consultants, seem to be up-spec'ing of late to build some factors into thing's when it comes to piping. Haven't seen one yet ask for stiffeners or fluting.

Of course that doesn't alter the fact some of them are dreamers.

Ductility would be more inversely proportionate to strength.

A materials toughness is based on a combination of ductility and strength.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    You're missing the point BIGTIME Wirehunt
    Direct comparisons in size or weight

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    Sorry but bs. If that was the case then please explain all the XXS pipe going into the ground in Aussie? 1000's of km's of pipeline that won't last?.......

UB and UC is the same as comparing that 16mm rod to 32mm rod. To different horses, yet funnily enough the prefect example. No one uses UB then welds stiffeners onto it to make it stronger, they go get UC cause it is so much stronger. So why flute for the 10% gain that Spanners(?) was talking about. That logic you are talking about says go heavier.

In fact all the engineers, sorry, engineering consultants, seem to be up-spec'ing of late to build some factors into thing's when it comes to piping. Haven't seen one yet ask for stiffeners or fluting.

Of course that doesn't alter the fact some of them are dreamers.
    Exactly.
    No one welds flutes onto ub or uc BECAUSE THEY ARE ALREADY THERE!!!!! THAT IS WHY IT IS STIFFER1!!
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Some good design advice for suppressors in here. We have done our bit

Ejected
    Bloody jafa's I don't see how Spanners. If I want something stiffer I don't go machine steel off it, I'd get a heavier steel to do the job properly. If I wanted stronger for less I'd change the steel grade to something that would fit my requirements. I have never ever seen machining done to make something stronger. EVER!

The story with fluting we all heard at the start was lighter and cools faster. Now unless your the weakest person in the world you'll never notice the weight. Cooling, ok, is has a larger bearing surface exposed to atmosphere so maybe, but even that is so small is it worth worrying about? I know the Kimber shoots like shit when you get it hot, fluting gonna change that? Not that I will ever notice. Shit is shit. Or hot is hot.
    Now anyone that will notice the 10% stiffer you talked about will never notice the two I mentioned, cause they will not be shooting quick OR carrying their rifle far because these are so fine a points your talking about that in the field they will never be noticed.

You forgot to mention that it looks cool

Ejected
    This all however neglects the fact that wall thickness of the tube has been made thinner, how thin? So you are in fact risking the pressure numbers of these rifles/calibres not being what they are designed for.

Are you drinking??

Go through and read your posts again and the replies

If I want something stiffer I don't go machine steel off it, I'd get a heavier steel to do the job properly.
    Back to the whole point - weight for weight, size for size, apples and apples,
    If you have 4lbs to work with to make a 24" barrel, a fluted barrel that weighs 4lb is stiffer than 4lb non fluted barrel
    If you have a minimum diameter of 18mm, then a fluted barrel with the bottom of the flutes measuring 18mm is stiffer than a 18mm solid barrel (however the fluted barrel is heavier)

Oww.. look what I just found Varmint Al's Fluted Barrel Stiffness Analysis READ the page.

CONCLUSION ON BARREL FLUTING....

When comparing two barrels of equal weight, length, and material but one is solid and other is fluted, the fluted barrel will have:
    • A larger diameter
    • Greater stiffness (depending on how the extra diameter/weight is distributed)
    • Vibrate at a higher frequency (depending on how the extra diameter/ weight is distributed)
    • Less muzzle sag (depending on how the extra diameter/ weight is distributed)

Fluting a solid barrel will:
    • Reduce its weight
    • Reduce its stiffness
    • Increase its natural frequency of vibration
    • Decrease its muzzle sag.

• Reducing the weight of a barrel by fluting makes a stiffer barrel than reducing the weight by decreasing its diameter.

A shorter barrel of the same section, solid or fluted, will sag less and vibrate at a higher frequency

Ejected
    Yes as a matter of fact. Got a fucking wet arse up the hill this arvo so pulled pin before dark, pub for a few then donga

Now did you read it?
    Reduce its stiffness********** Hello, anybody home???
    And this is just dumb "Reducing the weight of a barrel by fluting makes a stiffer barrel than reducing the weight by decreasing its diameter." Of course it does. It doesn't make it stiffer, it retains some inherent stiffness from the parent diameter, and this is my point. He does NOT say it's stronger than that original diameter.

I see no were in this were it says the barrel will be stronger or stiffer.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Tui4Me View Post
    You forgot to mention that it looks cool
    And you've hit the nail here Tui

But they won't admit that

Never have I said anywhere stiffness was ADDED to the barrel, its a comparision between equals (weight for eg)

Reducing the weight of a barrel by fluting makes a stiffer barrel than reducing the weight by decreasing its diameter.

Ejected
    I just went back for a read Spanners and worked out were some of the confusion is coming from.

If you have a barrel at 25mm diameter with whatever sized hole up it, that's how strong it is. Fluting that barrel will not make it stronger as such, or so small an amount that it's not worth worrying about.
    You are now talking about weight, so for the same weight you would be slightly larger in diameter of that same barrel. If that was the case then yes it will be stronger cause the extra metal has got to go somewhere.

Or have I still missed it?

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    I just went back for a read Spanners and worked out were some of the confusion is coming from.

If you have a barrel at 25mm diameter with whatever sized hole up it, that's how strong it is. Fluting that barrel will not make it stronger as such, or so small an amount that it's not worth worrying about.
    You are now talking about weight, so for the same weight you would be slightly larger in diameter of that same barrel. If that was the case then yes it will be stronger cause the extra metal has got to go somewhere.

Or have I still missed it?
    there you go
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

ding!!!

Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!