Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Supressors.

Ejected
    Now we'll get into real life. Show me one person that upsizes their barrel then flutes it. Because that is what you would have to do for your method to work.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    Now we'll get into real life. Show me one person that upsizes their barrel then flutes it. Because that is what you would have to do for your method to work.
    You drinking still??

Buy a 10lb blank - decide you want it finished ~4lb
    2 options - thin contour or larger contour + fluted

This may be more painful than pulling your own wisdom teeth out...

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Exactly.
    No one welds flutes onto ub or uc BECAUSE THEY ARE ALREADY THERE!!!!! THAT IS WHY IT IS STIFFER1!!
    That's right and that's what I'm saying. BUT you wouldn't use UB and stiffen it, you would use UC. Which is my point!!

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    You drinking still??

Buy a 10lb blank - decide you want it finished ~4lb
    2 options - thin contour or larger contour + fluted

This may be more painful than pulling your own wisdom teeth out...
    Well it is raining again, but no.

You won't happen to be saying 4lb has to be 4lb to hold the strength Spanners? I really hope you are. But others buy XXXX rifle then get it fluted, they don't start with a 10lb blank all the time.

Right - time for me to start drinking - you've driven me there........

You have no conception of apple and apples

I'm done.

Quote Originally Posted by Tui4Me View Post
    Haha, careful I happen to have a 1m off cut of 16mm leaning up against the corner of my shed and I couldn't put an ants cock worth of bend in it over my knee

And I have had a few beers for extra strength!

hopefully here is a vid of me bending 16mm round bar over my Knee
    camvid.mp4 video by spudann - Photobucket
    As you can see its fairly easy but the whole point I was trying to make was that a pipe with the same mass would be nigh on impossible to bend like this
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

There is some serious miscommunication in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    hopefully here is a vid of me bending 16mm round bar over my Knee
    camvid.mp4 video by spudann - Photobucket
    As you can see its fairly easy but the whole point I was trying to make was that a pipe with the same mass would be nigh on impossible to bend like this
    I hope the cost for that material is coming out of your pay!

Well done

Cutting Edge Bullets Terminator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    There is some serious miscommunication in this thread.

+1
    1000yds is fun, 1500yds is getting interesting, 2000yds is exciting, 2500yds will blow your mind

Fluting.

If you flute a barrel, it will be less stiff than it was to begin with.

If you have 2 otherwise identical (length, calibre, etc) barrels of the same outside diameter, one fluted and one not fluted, the non-fluted one will be stiffer.

If you have 2 otherwise identical (length, calibre, etc) barrels of the same weight, one fluted and one not, they will be different outside diameters and the fluted one will be stiffer.

Is "stiffness" the single most important factor that makes a barrel 'accurate'? Probably not, given that you can get a sporter contour barrel to shoot extremely well with tuned loads.

Is it possibly better to have a slightly thinner contour non-fluted barrel and not risk inducing stress in the barrel? Don't ask me, I'm not an engineer or a person who gives a damn, I prefer the aesthetic of non-fluted and they work for me so that's what I go with. Also someone wanted to charge me $330 to flute parts of a 14" barrel. I'll go lift a weight instead I think. $330 nearly buys you a years gym membership!

Did you get it after 20seconds, or has it taken a week or so to work it out?

All the wank about the 'barrel opening up when fluted' (I've read up to a couple 1/10s thou?) where no consideration has been taken to the fact that every time a round is fired and the bore heats, the barrel expands.
    Get the bore to ~100 C on a 20 deg day ( 1 or 2 shots?) and the bores opened up ~ 0.5 thou on a 338 simply due to expansion.

Blah blah blah - it all gets lost in the noise when the lumps going downrange

Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    Did you get it after 20seconds, or has it taken a week or so to work it out?
    No I just didn't have time to post a simple summary earlier in the week. Ironically I'm now frantically loading ammo and decided to do it this morning?

So, apart from all of the theories and bullshit are you lot telling me that, say, the Gunworks Lite Tika that has had enough metal milled off it to sink the Rena, will be weak, that they have probably ruined the barrel (because it has been squeezed down a calibre or 2 when it was fluted), that the bolt will be squeezed around the firing pin (that's fluted), and that they probably won't shoot well? Surely not! Not a Gunworks product?
    Last edited by Tahr; 14-01-2012 at 12:34 PM.

Those that have an interest in the game may tell you that

Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!