Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Climbing & killing deer with my 6 XC

Great vid. thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Norway View Post
    A short outing on the hill. found a few cull beasts in a suitably scenic location.

https://youtu.be/6BhTZdtm4EA
    The word cull caught my eye,really enjoyed that,thank you.

Very nicely shot video - thanks. Whats in you pack (besides quite a bit of video gear obviously) that takes you to over 15 Kgs? Do you always carry the front pouches?? I used them in army days and despite thinking a lot about a slimmer hunting version, have never ben "brave enough" to try them hunting as I feel they would make it too hard to move across really steep terrain.

Can you tell us about the 6XC ?
    Does it fit into a 308 size action ?
    Why is it better than the 243 ?
    What sort of ballistics are you getting from yours ?

Quote Originally Posted by doinit View Post
    The word cull caught my eye,really enjoyed that,thank you.
    Yeah, I really used to enjoy hunting good bucks but at one stage it just snapped and it gave me absolutely nothing. So I'm happy to leave the good beasts to people who can appreciate them better than me, I'm in it for the hunt and the filming.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Very nicely shot video - thanks. Whats in you pack (besides quite a bit of video gear obviously) that takes you to over 15 Kgs? Do you always carry the front pouches?? I used them in army days and despite thinking a lot about a slimmer hunting version, have never ben "brave enough" to try them hunting as I feel they would make it too hard to move across really steep terrain.
    Yes, the front pockets are the only way I can get the cameras in/out fast enough. Not how I constructed mine, they are only sewn to the harness along the top. They are soft backpack pouches made by Kifaru, nowhere near the stiff feel of military webbing.

As for weight, the backpack is shit. 2,5 kgs and that's me removing frames, lids and unnecessary fabric. The tripods are 3,5 kgs each the cameras about 2 ea. Outside camera gear, I only carry a gralloch kit, syntethic insulator, mittens and hat plus water and a snack.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    Can you tell us about the 6XC ?
    Does it fit into a 308 size action ?
    Why is it better than the 243 ?
    What sort of ballistics are you getting from yours ?
    Ballistics = 6,5x55 trajectory with a little less punch in a short action.
    I have been told by a ballstician at Norma that 6 XC is easier to load develop for and it is inherently more precise/ predictable. The Swedish team won the world championship when they started using 6 XC. The 243 can see pressure spikes and fliers as the throat start to wear, this has been removed from 6 XC. I don't really know, I just parrot the information. My 243 shot ok, but 6 XC is definitively in a different league for precision.

Quote Originally Posted by Norway View Post
    Ballistics = 6,5x55 trajectory with a little less punch in a short action.
    I have been told by a ballstician at Norma that 6 XC is easier to load develop for and it is inherently more precise/ predictable. The Swedish team won the world championship when they started using 6 XC. The 243 can see pressure spikes and fliers as the throat start to wear, this has been removed from 6 XC. I don't really know, I just parrot the information. My 243 shot ok, but 6 XC is definitively in a different league for precision.
    I know that any load I've tried in my 6XC has shot well, from 85gr to 105gr projectiles. It operates on a little higher pressure than the .243 so you get the same performance for a little less powder.
    Norway likes this.
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

Nice vid, some interesting country there.

Quote Originally Posted by Elrond View Post
    Great video

Looks like Slioch in the background, Kinlochewe
    No, a few valleys further north