Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree155Likes

Thread: Petrol v diesel economy

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Are you confident the European 2.0L TO 3.0l turbo charged diesels with a million gears are going to get to 800Thou K or even half that.
    I'm not.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Well, perhaps not a million.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

No. My "new" vehicle was made last century
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Don't own a vehicle (car/truck/tractor/dozer) that is younger then 25 years, so finicky electronics are not a worry for me.

Yeah, can't see me selling any of the Patrols now. Happy with their consumption at 10L/100km. A big plus is that they are almost entirely maintainable by joe average home handyman.

Diesel has inherently 15% more energy per litre than petrol.

Didn't know that modern petrols had become so expensive to maintain either.
    striker, Trout and Carbine like this.

Yeah - it's bloody eye opening when you get the mechanic mate to do the plugs on the mother's little '07 Tiida. Ahhh, bro - that pile of parts includes an intake manifold. Yep, gotta get that off to get to the plugs...

Now - don't get me wrong, the Tiida plugs are cheap by comparison to some of the modern petrols at $45 a piece and only four of them - but even that is three hours of labour just to change 4 spark plugs (including a couple of seized fasteners and other fartarounds). It's a bit of a joke really, Tiida spark plugs are dearer than some diesel engine glow plugs.

The older diesels like the patrols are good in some respects, including not being particularly fussy about fuel (as long as it's compression ignition compatible it's good to go). Biggest issue with them are they are getting hard for some parts, or you are forced to use some aftermarket bit that doesn't really meet the grade for lifespan. I went through three sets of mounts in one of my Safari's, first set were the original factory and lasted 16 years, second set lasted just over the warranty period and the third set were 10 months so I got a refund on them under warranty (rubber parts were separating off the steel sections). I ended up building a set of solid steel and red urethane mounts - they were still going last time I checked after 11 years. Probably need to get a bloody cert if you did that today...
    Shearer likes this.

The Original Striker
    Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    Don't own a vehicle (car/truck/tractor/dozer) that is younger then 25 years, so finicky electronics are not a worry for me.

Yeah, can't see me selling any of the Patrols now. Happy with their consumption at 10L/100km. A big plus is that they are almost entirely maintainable by joe average home handyman.

Diesel has inherently 15% more energy per litre than petrol.

Didn't know that modern petrols had become so expensive to maintain either.

A lot is to be said for the TB/TD 42 motors, old school reliability,
    Trout likes this.
    Bigger Better Faster Stronger
    Handle the Jandle, or get off the Beach

The Original Striker

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    Yeah - it's bloody eye opening when you get the mechanic mate to do the plugs on the mother's little '07 Tiida. Ahhh, bro - that pile of parts includes an intake manifold. Yep, gotta get that off to get to the plugs...

Now - don't get me wrong, the Tiida plugs are cheap by comparison to some of the modern petrols at $45 a piece and only four of them - but even that is three hours of labour just to change 4 spark plugs (including a couple of seized fasteners and other fartarounds). It's a bit of a joke really, Tiida spark plugs are dearer than some diesel engine glow plugs.

The older diesels like the patrols are good in some respects, including not being particularly fussy about fuel (as long as it's compression ignition compatible it's good to go). Biggest issue with them are they are getting hard for some parts, or you are forced to use some aftermarket bit that doesn't really meet the grade for lifespan. I went through three sets of mounts in one of my Safari's, first set were the original factory and lasted 16 years, second set lasted just over the warranty period and the third set were 10 months so I got a refund on them under warranty (rubber parts were separating off the steel sections). I ended up building a set of solid steel and red urethane mounts - they were still going last time I checked after 11 years. Probably need to get a bloody cert if you did that today...
    Hope you replace with platinum, nothing like snapping a stud off in an alloy head!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

My 2012 Hilux is at 135,000 so just run in. It’s the RUC that pisses me off.
    The member formally known as Spitfire

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Hope you replace with platinum, nothing like snapping a stud off in an alloy head!
    I think that Platinum Iridium Newfangled Unobtanium were the only choice we had if I recall correctly. Everything cheaper were out of stock, and by cheaper I mean only a couple of bucks...

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    Are you confident the European 2.0L TO 3.0l turbo charged diesels with a million gears are going to get to 800Thou K or even half that.
    I'm not.
    The ZF 6 and 8 speed autos have been around since 2000 and many are still going with minimal maintenance.
    The newest of diesel engines with emissions crap up the wazoo im less confident in.
    veitnamcam likes this.

For the most part diesel will be cheaper to run on a ute or big SUV, especially when towing.

A simple rule that runs mostly true is if you can get the same fuel consumption from a petrol and a diesel vehicle the petrol will be cheaper to run.
    Typically for the same fuel consumption a diesel with have more torque and probably more power, often a petrol engine in a ute will have considerably worse fuel consumption to get the same performance.

When you add in towing it seems like petrol fuel consumption will go up 50-100% depending on load/terrain where as a diesel is more like + 10-40%.

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    Probably because diesel is so entrenched in our 4wd history and logic. Plus I can albut gaurantee that some of the patrols are way worse than they should be scaring them off.
    Also suggest if the road tax was on the bowser, not on a separate ticket people might get it.
    In aussie I think diesel is either real close to petrol or dearer.
    Unless you really need it for water crossings etc, petrol isnt so bad
    Yes, Diesel is more expensive in AUS than 98, slightly.
    Always used this app or website when it came time to fill up, would be good if we had one similar in NZ. Gives you the price of different fuels on a map.
    https://petrolspy.com.au/map/latlng/...40673104509017

I know a lot of farmers (I know) like diesel, as they can run their vehicles off their tractor fuel supply (negating some road tax in fuel prices ~ 20C/L) but "only for farm use" and "require" pump gas for road use

Quote Originally Posted by Jukes View Post
    Yes, Diesel is more expensive in AUS than 98, slightly.
    Always used this app or website when it came time to fill up, would be good if we had one similar in NZ. Gives you the price of different fuels on a map.
    https://petrolspy.com.au/map/latlng/...40673104509017

I know a lot of farmers (I know) like diesel, as they can run their vehicles off their tractor fuel supply (negating some road tax in fuel prices ~ 20C/L) but "only for farm use" and "require" pump gas for road use
    https://gaspy.nz/
    paremata and Jukes like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Yeah, gasspy is good but Iwouldnt drive two hours for cheap fuel as it is sometimes quite slow to take the user corrections onboard...
    Trout likes this.

We have signed up with Gaspy, and now get 24 hrs warning of their 10 or 15 cents per litre discount Thursdays, often its the 3rd Thursday of the month. With the usually cheapest diesel in NZ, its worth the half hour drive to fill up the 2000L tank. We don't consume sufficient qty of fuel on farm to warrant bringing in a tanker to refill, as they charge 18c/L delivery on top of pump price. Yeooowza!
    7mmwsm likes this.