Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Arsenal

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Quad bikes

Pure-bred Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    just looking at an elite brand trailer for my quad , just over 2k new. have been looking at a hand winch that uses a rope of whatever length you have at hand its only rated to 750kgs as an extra to the winch on my quad.
    Run it through a pullez and it becomes 1500...

Onlz problem with hand winches.... they're hand winches.
    Fat ninja likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by 308
    not smart enough to be useful
    Diligentia Vis Celeritas
    Life Advice

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Run it through a pullez and it becomes 1500...

Onlz problem with hand winches.... they're hand winches.
    yep but i liked the fact that this winch you just fed in the rope and it fell at your feet when winding , seen it on tv when a guy was winching a heavy load he had been towing with a snowmobile and used about a 100m length of rope to get to an anchor point and could winch it all the way without having to reset rope.
    Fat ninja likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by outlander View Post
    My old 300 Suzuki, I consider it to be like a 1960's Land Rover. Rough tough and gets you stuck, just to show who's boss. Great old things.
    still like them , neighbour had the 250cc model and it had seen better days but kept on going.cant understand why suzuki never brought out a 400cc version with the full diff lock and super low range i would be real keen on that. would actually prefer a manual bike but nothing around when i was looking but over priced honda's .
    outlander and Fat ninja like this.

First small 4WD I had was the Suzuki Jimney with the 2 stroke 530cc 'sewing machine' motor in it. Being hard up I used a Hayes fence strainer as my winch. Purchased a longer piece of the same high tensile chain it used. Very effective. And a WHOLE lot easier than using a hand winch on my old Unimog. Gave that up as a bad joke after getting the Mog 5 metres in 20 minutes

With quads it pays to figure out exactly what you want to do with it for 75% of the time. Smaller older quads can be far easier to get in and out of gnarly areas if push comes to shove. The bigger newer more powerful quads are pretty impressive performers, but get them stuck and they are up to 150 kgs heavier than the 1990/s early 2000's quads. And you will feel each of those kilograms if you are stuck there out on your own with no winch.

Almost forgot. Make sure you have a spade or some such digging device with you. Even one of those folding spades. And a folding hand saw. Saw and spade and small hand winch and the world's your oyster
    Brian, berg243, outlander and 1 others like this.

Pure-bred Mutt
    Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    Fwinch.

Almost forgot. Make sure you have a spade or some such digging device with you. Even one of those folding spades. And a folding hand saw. Saw and spade and small hand winch and the world's your oyster
    Being older and wiser, and averse to apprentice bullshit, I would upgrade that to "A decent spade (those folding ones are pretty arse, even the solid kids' spades are an improvement) and a chainsaw and a power winch"

I have an old steel shaft atlas? spade that's moved more cubes than I want to think. Does double duty as a lever, anchor, brace, gin pole etc
    Quote Originally Posted by 308
    not smart enough to be useful
    Diligentia Vis Celeritas
    Life Advice

Cheers for all the input. I will have a spade, winch and silky saw with me when out on the bike

I used to have a 2007 Honda 420 4x4. Was the last one they made before they came with powersteering, which in my view was a good thing. It was also fuel injected which got rid of some of the troubles my mates used to have.

Try and get one thats not full time 4x4, means when your not in the rough its easier to steer, also less wear on the drivetrain.

These older models are around 4-5 grand and last ages, mine got serviced every year and only ever really needed oils and brakes adjusted, nothing major

Mines the one on the right, the Suzuki infront was also a reliable work horse, similar era and auto
    Name:  IMG_20160525_172705.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  99.2 KB
    outlander and Fat ninja like this.

Name:  ATV's in snow.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  2.80 MB

Something different - a 2015 Polaris Ace - single seater with custom Rhino rack and a Honda last winter in the High Country. Agree Polaris parts expensive, but happy with my one. Better used as a recreation ATV than commercial use on farms -need cleaning after each use to keep the mud building up inside the body work. Have owned since new, good for river deep river crossings, air intake up high. Nice to have a steering wheel after many years of using the thumb throttle on my old Suzuki Kingquad.
    ishoot10s, berg243 and Fat ninja like this.

had an ace on the dairy farm they roll a bit easier than a quad as you cant use weight transfer as the farm manager found out trying to head off a cow but easy enough to put back on its wheels. nice to drive though and the 570 is pretty quick.

After asking a similar question earlier in the year I have ended up with a 2009 TRX420 manual power steer. It’s bloody awesome. Probably lacks a little grunt in the steep gnarly stuff but it counters that by being nice and light and simple to handle. My only issue is the ground clearance is poor due to the rear brake being centre in the axle rather then up against the wheel like a lot of models. A TRX350 or 500 both have very good reps too from everyone I spoke to and know using them.
    Fat ninja likes this.

I was looking into this a while back, and everyone recommended going away from quads to the sxs type machines for H&S on the sites I was working at the time. Took a look at parts, and went nup - the cost was ridiculous in the extreme. The outfit ended up going to the Suzuki Farmworker type machine, second hand and parts available at Repco or Supercheap. Came with a tipper deck, diff lock at the back and they fitted a winch - extremely capable vehicle. Literally 1/3 the cost for repairs and being automotive based rather than ATV servicing intervals were longer and easier to actually do. Quieter inside, better cab sealing and still small enough to be towed on a trailer. L

ikely too big to do some jobs that a 4x4 bike would get through but...
    bigbear and Fat ninja like this.

we have talk about this a few times now, while suzuki farmworker would not be suited to most country around here they are very good value.
    top honda bike about $20g
    500 sxs 20g with roof and screen
    700 sxs 26g with roof and screen
    1000 sxs 30g with roof and screen
    The suzukis were selling for around 20grand at one stage and have proper doors, heater, gearbox, roof etc so seems we again are getting shafted again and as said can service every 10 thou kms.
    Sure makes you wonder how much profit the bike manufacture's are making

Don't forget for about $30K you can get the suzuki with abs, traction control, side intrusion beams and airbags now too. Just doesn't come with a deck and is a little less agricultural in appearance
    bigbear likes this.

It also depends where and what you are using it for. Most places I take my quad there is no way a sxs could go.
    XR500 likes this.

Yip. Just spent some time down in the Tongariro forest. Some excellent hunting possies there. Once off the main drag there's only just enough room for a standard sized quad or a two wheeler. SxS need not apply