Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: Quad bikes

Just looked up the press release for Aussie. Its for NEW quads only (thank fuck).

Problem being these regulations are made by people who never ride quads: certainly not 4 hours day every day of the week. Just like the Coroner in the 1990's who recommended quads all be fitted with seatbelts!!! I shit you not

Any tool will bite you if you don't concentrate on its operation. Quads must be actively ridden. Actively riding also permits the rider to bail a whole lot easier than the rider who in reality is just a passenger (sits all the time).

Quads replaced horses in a lot of situations. Horses killed and maimed an awful lot of farmers. But the job couldn't be done without them. We have changed our farming practices to the point where a quad is a necessity.

What really grinds my gears is when those in authority go on about the damage inflicted by quad accidents, the next day they'll be silent on the biggest killer around. Poor road driving skills and decision making among the populace.
    cambo, Survy and outlander like this.

Get this: Helmet on quad on farm is compulsory, but drive out the gate and head on down public road to your runoff at less than 30kph and helmet not required

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    Just looked up the press release for Aussie. Its for NEW quads only (thank fuck).

Problem being these regulations are made by people who never ride quads: certainly not 4 hours day every day of the week. Just like the Coroner in the 1990's who recommended quads all be fitted with seatbelts!!! I shit you not

Any tool will bite you if you don't concentrate on its operation. Quads must be actively ridden. Actively riding also permits the rider to bail a whole lot easier than the rider who in reality is just a passenger (sits all the time).

Quads replaced horses in a lot of situations. Horses killed and maimed an awful lot of farmers. But the job couldn't be done without them. We have changed our farming practices to the point where a quad is a necessity.

What really grinds my gears is when those in authority go on about the damage inflicted by quad accidents, the next day they'll be silent on the biggest killer around. Poor road driving skills and decision making among the populace.
    Ghengis Khan put studs on his riders seats so they could never sit down.

This would probably save more people than roll over protection.

Yip. Size and weight have grown incrementally, to the point where they are seriously heavy.

A 2 wheel drive old suzuki sports quad weighs 116kg

The latest Canam 2 seater(in line) quad weighs 365kg

Your 'average' 500cc farm quad weighs about 315 kg

There's no crawling out unaided from one of those if you tip it in a difficult location.

Mini tractors have far more flexible uses, and are no fun to do doughnuts or race your mate in, so end up being a bit safer.

But for hauling you, your camp gear, rifle and meat in and out of, say the Tongariro forest along rudimentary quad trails nothing really comes close to a medium sized 4x4 quad.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat ninja View Post
    Lads,
    I’m going to get a new quad in the near future. It’ll be used as a meat hauler, I will work it hard. I’m hoping the collective wisdom of the forum can point me in the direction of what the best one for my needs will be. More to the point what to avoid. I’m aiming to spend under 10 grand. All thoughts, feedback or tips welcome.
    Are you in a position to try out demonstrators ? It could give you an indication on which one to go for. I had to do that down country as nothing in Auckland, as a result, I’ve just got me a Yamaha 450, it was cheaper that the Honda/Suzuki’s out there but for what I am using it for it matched the fit and price range, wider wheel track and I found it had more than enough cc (421) for me but it wasn’t under 10k and I did throw a farm kit on it.
    I’m hoping to get into trail rides for quads/sxs, nothing extreme but for good fun etc. As I’m new to the scene.
    Grouchy Smurf had it right all along...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat ninja View Post
    Lads,
    I’m going to get a new quad in the near future. It’ll be used as a meat hauler, I will work it hard. I’m hoping the collective wisdom of the forum can point me in the direction of what the best one for my needs will be. More to the point what to avoid. I’m aiming to spend under 10 grand. All thoughts, feedback or tips welcome.
    Easy

750 Kingquad
    cambo, Snowgrass and Magnus like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Easy

750 Kingquad
    Correct, nuff said.

Ghengis Khan put studs on his riders seats so they could never sit down.

This would probably save more people than roll over protection.
    Got yelled at by the box once for riding standing up (flat ground). Reckoned I was raising the centre of balance too much and I was gong to tip .
    My daily driver is a honda trx500 manual non power steer. Bit like an old Hilux. Bullet proof but as basic as hell. Hate the solid rear axle. Like riding a see saw. Ride is rough as hell. Expensive because of the honda badge.
    Also ride a 1000 ads Most days. Awesome machine. Near enough a truck/ tractor. Bit scary fast and very heavy. Has taken over from the Hilux or trailer or the farm but at about 35k new bloody expensive.and thirsty
    Can am are a bit fragile for my liking but fast as hell and well priced.
    Yamaha seem to be a great all round farm bike but are big and heavy. Might be hard pulling out of abog. Very good ride on them.
    Not had a new Suzuki for a while but always liked them. Good value for money. Never had any issues with them. I think often over looked. Smoothe ride.
    Depends what you are looking for really. To shoot from. Just to get to camp. How many people gear. I would want 500cc min anyway

Banned
    CVT transmission. Nothing else comes close.

Certainly more cruisy than a manual transmission, but are not that keen on deep water crossings. CVT housings are not renown for being watertight, plus water can get in through the air cooling passages and bingo! no drive Had to pull a mates big Yammie with CVT out of a river crossing with the ultimate waterproof non electronic can handle the steepest of terrain quad: a horse
    Barefoot, BRADS, 6x47 and 2 others like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    Certainly more cruisy than a manual transmission, but are not that keen on deep water crossings. CVT housings are not renown for being watertight, plus water can get in through the air cooling passages and bingo! no drive Had to pull a mates big Yammie with CVT out of a river crossing with the ultimate waterproof non electronic can handle the steepest of terrain quad: a horse
    Not the Suzuki. I'm in a river channel which floods. I've spent days operating it like a boat. Roads turning into swift flowing rivers where forcing up stream results in jets of water squirting out of the plastics. No dramas.

Not the Suzuki. I'm in a river channel which floods. I've spent days operating it like a boat. Roads turning into swift flowing rivers where forcing up stream results in jets of water squirting out of the plastics. No dramas.
    Yeah I'd agree with that as well had our 750 up to the seat a few times and never had any belt slip.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

One thing I would recommend if you get a King quad is to have the dealer swap the stator out for one from one of their roadbikes (can't remember what model but lot more capacity and direct swap) my old man runs one of these shooting for a dollar, he trades for a new one every year and had two of them let him down out in the back of nowhere because the stator can only just keep up with running the engine and lights on the bike, run a spotlight or a thermal on charge for a couple hours and they won't keep up and end up killing the stator packs, the battery dies and ultimately you're left stranded, even having an extra light bar on the bike itself and a uhf hardwired to the bike puts them at their very limit. Last two he's had they have fitted the upgraded stator and no problems. He also has a pull start off one of his old 500s and has it fitted to his new bike each time he gets one as the 750s don't come fitted with any kind of auxillary start, they're a bloody mission to pull start but can get you out of the shit
    berg243, Fat ninja and XR500 like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    One thing I would recommend if you get a King quad is to have the dealer swap the stator out for one from one of their roadbikes (can't remember what model but lot more capacity and direct swap) my old man runs one of these shooting for a dollar, he trades for a new one every year and had two of them let him down out in the back of nowhere because the stator can only just keep up with running the engine and lights on the bike, run a spotlight or a thermal on charge for a couple hours and they won't keep up and end up killing the stator packs, the battery dies and ultimately you're left stranded, even having an extra light bar on the bike itself and a uhf hardwired to the bike puts them at their very limit. Last two he's had they have fitted the upgraded stator and no problems. He also has a pull start off one of his old 500s and has it fitted to his new bike each time he gets one as the 750s don't come fitted with any kind of auxillary start, they're a bloody mission to pull start but can get you out of the shit
    Good advice, we don't have any auxiliary electrics and still replace stators regularly.

I can say ours get absolutely flogged. I have two at the moment because I like my old one so kept it. It's got 46,000km on it and right now I'm pulling to its absolute limit in 4x4 on the original belt.

Sent from my CPH1701 using Tapatalk

Good advice, we don't have any auxiliary electrics and still replace stators regularly.

I can say ours get absolutely flogged. I have two at the moment because I like my old one so kept it. It's got 46,000km on it and right now I'm pulling to its absolute limit in 4x4 on the original belt.

Sent from my CPH1701 using Tapatalk
    Yikes! Now that is impressive