Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: Quad bikes

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    Yikes! Now that is impressive
    I'm genuine when I say I have never dealt with a piece of machinery of any kind that is this tough. Really good things. Take day to day abuse and still pretty low maintenance. My family can be very very hard on machinery. This bike was a bull chaser ridden like a dirtbike for years and has been pulling big K-lines since new. Asked the shop to go over it as it was old and due to trade and was told "basically nothing wrong with it". We don't have Utes (which is super annoying). You want to carry a load of fence posts or literally anything else, it does on the quad.

If you are a hunter using it recreationaly, as long as basic servicing is kept up with and it's stored well, given a run occasionally, I can't imagine them giving any trouble.

Sent from my CPH1701 using Tapatalk

Mine is a 09 king quad 750, best machine I've owned, never had an issue with the stator problems you guys are talking about, there is a mod that can be done to the regulator rectifier by using a bigger gauge cable to the batt from memory due to the standard one being a shoestring, have done this with mine and haven't had any issues especially with doing extended Winch pulls. There's a few tricks you can do with the CVT clutch system to get them going better too, I've machined 2mm off the primary clutch and fitted a 0.5mm shim Bettween the primary sheeves which allows the belt to ride deeper which calculates to 30% more torque low down but decreases top speed by like 5kmh. Added a vdi copperhead ecu which changes ignition and fuel tables and is live mappable it Lso removes the rev cut with diff lock and when in reverse. One thing to keep an eye on is cracking in the frame if you really giving them a hard time I ended up welding in som supports and braces to help stop this. All in all great machines. Mine ears the big canams for breakfast.
    Cursed be the ground for our sake. Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for us. For out of the ground we were taken, for the dust we are... and to the dust we shall return.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Mine is a 09 king quad 750, best machine I've owned, never had an issue with the stator problems you guys are talking about, there is a mod that can be done to the regulator rectifier by using a bigger gauge cable to the batt from memory due to the standard one being a shoestring, have done this with mine and haven't had any issues especially with doing extended Winch pulls. There's a few tricks you can do with the CVT clutch system to get them going better too, I've machined 2mm off the primary clutch and fitted a 0.5mm shim Bettween the primary sheeves which allows the belt to ride deeper which calculates to 30% more torque low down but decreases top speed by like 5kmh. Added a vdi copperhead ecu which changes ignition and fuel tables and is live mappable it Lso removes the rev cut with diff lock and when in reverse. One thing to keep an eye on is cracking in the frame if you really giving them a hard time I ended up welding in som supports and braces to help stop this. All in all great machines. Mine ears the big canams for breakfast.
    I would like to get one and fiddle with it. They also go quite fast, though due to the fun police, I am no longer allowed to do this. 4WD power slides are a lot of fun.

Got any suggestions for gearing the gearbox up? My uncle bought the 500 as a hair shirt. He hates it with a passion. Its geared way down, so it sounds like its in low ratio when you cruise around.

The suspension on this new 500 is nuts. Much better than the older ones, on hills it feels like it just won't tip over.

Cvt quads don't really use a gear box as such, they use a primary and a secondary clutch consisting of 2 sheeves per clutch. Both clutches work together depending on engine rpm and wheel speed. From a dig the primary is wide open allowing the belt to ride low in the sheeves while the secondary is pulled closed so the belt rides high. As engine rpm and wheel speed increase counter weights in the primary under centrifugal force force it closed pushing the belt up to ride high and its the opposite for the secondary. It like the gears on ya mountain bike but it's constant velocity. You can't really gear them up as the clutches would have to be a bigger diameter. Taller tyres may make a difference but at the sacrifice of low down torque. The cvt is pretty cool to tinker with heaps can be done, from machining the sheeves, lightening the counter weights in the primary, uprated secondary clutch spring. Doing all that to 750cc big boy quad makes it another machine. Mine will wheel stand from a get go for along as you can keep in balanced or run out of road lol.

If the vid below works it illustrates how the clutchs work

https://youtu.be/JRHIfoZMD74
    Last edited by Magnus; 06-12-2020 at 02:40 PM.
    Cursed be the ground for our sake. Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for us. For out of the ground we were taken, for the dust we are... and to the dust we shall return.

Has anyone seen in NZ or use snorkel kits on their quad, as said in the post, river crossings can be killers if water enters them.
    Grouchy Smurf had it right all along...

Theres heaps of snorkel kit available for different quads, plenty of YouTube vids of guys doing the DIY thing too. I never have othered with mine and its been in some deep water main thin is not to go deeper then the air intake for the engine, the intake for the cvt sys is under the under the handle bars for the king but the exhaust for it sits low under the rear carrier. They have a drain bung but I've never had anything come out of it.
    Survy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    I would like to get one and fiddle with it. They also go quite fast, though due to the fun police, I am no longer allowed to do this. 4WD power slides are a lot of fun.

Got any suggestions for gearing the gearbox up? My uncle bought the 500 as a hair shirt. He hates it with a passion. Its geared way down, so it sounds like its in low ratio when you cruise around.

The suspension on this new 500 is nuts. Much better than the older ones, on hills it feels like it just won't tip over.
    I've got a ecu chip for a 500 if you want to try it, took it out when simplifying wiring pm address if you want to give it a go

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by distant stalker View Post
    I've got a ecu chip for a 500 if you want to try it, took it out when simplifying wiring pm address if you want to give it a go
    Cheers but will probably just leave it as is. He needs to trade the damn thing. Will cost him pocket change compared to most of his bills. He rides it all day, it's his favorite toy. This why I call it the hair shirt.

Banned
    Cvt quads don't really use a gear box as such, they use a primary and a secondary clutch consisting of 2 sheeves per clutch. Both clutches work together depending on engine rpm and wheel speed. From a dig the primary is wide open allowing the belt to ride low in the sheeves while the secondary is pulled closed so the belt rides high. As engine rpm and wheel speed increase counter weights in the primary under centrifugal force force it closed pushing the belt up to ride high and its the opposite for the secondary. It like the gears on ya mountain bike but it's constant velocity. You can't really gear them up as the clutches would have to be a bigger diameter. Taller tyres may make a difference but at the sacrifice of low down torque. The cvt is pretty cool to tinker with heaps can be done, from machining the sheeves, lightening the counter weights in the primary, uprated secondary clutch spring. Doing all that to 750cc big boy quad makes it another machine. Mine will wheel stand from a get go for along as you can keep in balanced or run out of road lol.

If the vid below works it illustrates how the clutchs work

https://youtu.be/JRHIfoZMD74
    I'm a CVT enthusiast. I like watching bench tests for something to do.

They have told him at the shop they can change something in here.

I think my old bike has a hole in the CVT housing or the breather is broken. It ends up geared high, where taking off its like its in third gear. Very hard to inch along slowly. If you peg the throttle it just launches.

Had it looked at once, they said it was crap in the housing stopping the weights from moving properly. Came back normal but it's back doing it again.

One thing I don't understand is why the brakes are so much better in 4x4?

I also notice when I stop very hard the belt slips a bit and it's like the brakes are stuck on.

Is this something to do with the engine braking?

If ya housing get full of dust etc youl wear out components, you can pull the primary apart and check the weights they do wear out eventually and end up with flat spots preventing them to roll as such. Belts in these quads apart from canam shouldn't slip the drive belt, they have a wet spragclutch that does all the slipping instead of the belt, canam choose to slip the drive belts instead of running a wet clutch which is why they smoke the drive belts under heavy load if not careful.

Banned
    If ya housing get full of dust etc youl wear out components, you can pull the primary apart and check the weights they do wear out eventually and end up with flat spots preventing them to roll as such. Belts in these quads apart from canam shouldn't slip the drive belt, they have a wet spragclutch that does all the slipping instead of the belt, canam choose to slip the drive belts instead of running a wet clutch which is why they smoke the drive belts under heavy load if not careful.
    Yeah, it needs cleaned out but has not happened last two services.

Maybe not slip as such, holds like the brakes are on, squeeks then takes off.

Seem to be the only one causing this. Something about being heavy and braking hard.

Got a '14 KingQuad a few months ago with 20k on it and loving it so far. A lot more comfortable than the TRX500 it's replaced. Fuel injection was a must for the range of altitudes it get's used in and having the low-range trans is useful as well. Like Ryan I've fitted a second hand pull start unit to it just incase. Will still need a bit of juice for the fuel pump but it's a good backup to have. Great engine braking too. Almost wants to stop when going down a steep hill in low. Rode a mates Polaris and that thing would run away bloody quickly unless you kept blipping the throttle quietly.
    The Suzuki range is definitely worth a look at anyway.

hey guys just thought id add my $0.02, after discovering this thread and always wanting to get a pull start for my quad I figured id put some effort into doing it.
    After some asking my very helpful mates at Ashburton Suzuki we found my 2012 Suzuki king quad 500 has the same crank as a 06-08 450 king quad, they then rang a quad scrapper in the north island and the part arrived Friday when only being ordered Thursday lunch.
    $100 and 5 min install and my quad now has a functioning pullstart despite being EFI.
    distant stalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Honda tin tank 300 if you can find a reasonable condition one. Go for ever and no fancy shit to crap out.
    Just bought one

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Just bought one
    Don’t think you’ll go to far wrong with that one.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gibo likes this.