Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Trailer recommendations

northdude
    Reid trailers is just up the road from us they can custom build them. Seem a well built trailer and they are always busy...must be a reason
    Survy likes this.

Thanks everyone for their input, a couple of companies are repeated throughout the page so that’s a good indicator and start.
    Interesting some companies didn’t show up on a generic google search list for trailers so it was good to actually go searching for them from your recommendations.
    I’ll start firing off emails with my specs and see what I get back.
    Will also look at some site visits, even learnt a few things especially around drawbar Length.
    Grouchy Smurf had it right all along...

I think any of the NZ manufactured, (not to be confused with assembled) will fit the bill. South Island trailers to buy are either Helmack(Supreme) or Briford.
    A lot of imported,NZ assembled trailers are using inferior materials, and sometimes wheel bearings etc are odd ball sizes, or made of unobtainium. Axles aren’t overly strong either. .
    Also consider brakes... most unbraked towbars are only rated to 750kg. A 300 kg trailer doesn’t leave much of a payload. And insurance will use it to get out of paying out if she’s merging should happen. Police are also starting to look hard at this now to.
    Survy and Mathias like this.
    Farmers Feed The World..
    The Only Thing Not Delivered By Truck Are Babies...

Quote Originally Posted by oraki View Post
    I think any of the NZ manufactured, (not to be confused with assembled) will fit the bill. South Island trailers to buy are either Helmack(Supreme) or Briford.
    A lot of imported,NZ assembled trailers are using inferior materials, and sometimes wheel bearings etc are odd ball sizes, or made of unobtainium. Axles aren’t overly strong either. .
    Also consider brakes... most unbraked towbars are only rated to 750kg. A 300 kg trailer doesn’t leave much of a payload. And insurance will use it to get out of paying out if she’s merging should happen. Police are also starting to look hard at this now to.
    That should read ....they will use it to get out of paying if anything should happen...
    Farmers Feed The World..
    The Only Thing Not Delivered By Truck Are Babies...

Another vote for Kea.
    Mine is now 11 years old.
    Bought with crate to carry animals.
    Tows/tracks superbly, wife tells me to slow down all the time.
    Quietist trailer I have ever owned (leaf sprung), no clatter when going over bumps.

There's also Trailer World in Pukekohe who has a good reputation. Reasonably priced for custom builds.
    https://www.trailerworld.co.nz/
    Survy and Micky Duck like this.

Had our briford 10years and that's on stewart island with the rust and salt, no issues and it's done a few kms up and down the south 8island as well
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chur Bay View Post
    i have a Tuff trailer. Pretty sure its Chinese. Had no worries with it
    100% New Zealand owned and built. Over engineered if anything.

if buying as firewood trailer.....go bigger with lower crate. My Brother did this and I was a bit ho hum over his thinking...but having recently done a few loads with mate whos trailer is like this..lower and larger for similar m3 lower is DEFINATELY easier on the body....poking bits over the top is so much easier with lower crate.

@Survy be careful if buying a trailer of the internet, there is a guy hawkes bay/ waipuk that builds trailers takes a deposit and ask for more money to finish them and its the last you here from him.been on fair go couple years ago but still ripping people off.

Another vote for kea trailer had the heavy duty single trailer 10 plus years ( only thing i would do different is a ply deck not alloy ) alloy deck in pretty good condition excellent if stored out side. I have just found it can be like a cheese grater.
    Also have a prescott flat deck trailer for work and been excellent also 10/10 customer service, had a issue with the ply deck took it back to them (boss forgot to let them know i was coming) turn up in the morning and they dropped tools that day to replace deck so i could pick it up on the way back past that night.
    Next trailer i buy will be from one of these two places.
    Survy, Micky Duck and mimms2 like this.

Also i brought a kea 2.1x1350 at the time it was good but later on i wish i had gone to the 2.4x1350 now
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    @Survy be careful if buying a trailer of the internet, there is a guy hawkes bay/ waipuk that builds trailers takes a deposit and ask for more money to finish them and its the last you here from him.been on fair go couple years ago but still ripping people off.

Another vote for kea trailer had the heavy duty single trailer 10 plus years ( only thing i would do different is a ply deck not alloy ) alloy deck in pretty good condition excellent if stored out side. I have just found it can be like a cheese grater.
    Also have a prescott flat deck trailer for work and been excellent also 10/10 customer service, had a issue with the ply deck took it back to them (boss forgot to let them know i was coming) turn up in the morning and they dropped tools that day to replace deck so i could pick it up on the way back past that night.
    +1 on the ply deck. Just replaced mine for the first time after 17 years of use. Always stored out doors.
    Survy likes this.

Thanks for the heads up, yep I’m thinking Kea could be it, easy drive down to their site from Nor-west Auckland to check them out.
    Grouchy Smurf had it right all along...

I went with the alloy deck. Liked the way the deck and sides are one piece/folded. Wanted non slip surface but my animals slip like mad on it but like you say if I slipped and fell on it it would probably be like a cheese grater. At the time when I bought mine some of the cheaper trailers were using second hand rims. Doubt that would be the case now. I went with their heavy duty model. The Kea came with brand new rims. I bought a brand new spare rim from Trojan Trailer Parts and picked up a near new tyre for a cheap price from the local tyre shop.

I bought a crate as part of the deal and the price for that didn't seem too bad. Later I wanted a middle gate but the price for that on its own was highway robbery. I made my own.
    bigbear likes this.

Yeah Kea are a good trailer however a couple of things that made me buy a Prescott.
    The tail lights on the Kea stick out from the side of trailer where as the Prescott the tail lights are tucked away in the "c" shape channel of the chassis.
    The area from the rear of the mudguard to the base of the taillight on the Kea is a shit design, way tidier on the Prescott.

Down here in Canterbury, Briford the go. NZ made and solid welding with tough wheel bearings. My trailer spends a bit of time on shingle roads.
    Micky Duck and Localman like this.