Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Wagon change but what to get

Quote Originally Posted by longrange308 View Post
    Mmmmmm and 7500tho oil changes
    Makes me want to run down and get one
    The trouble is tho is what do you get instead? there is no popular brand I can think of that I havent heard of issues ,some very expensive ,with there later models.... pick the one with cheaper issues?
    JoshC likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Yeah most have issues but 70k plus for vehicle and you have to put 9l of oil in every 7500k please it’s 2018

Yeah most have issues but 70k plus for vehicle and you have to put 9l of oil in every 7500k please it’s 2018
    Well they did use to be comparatively more expensive and take 10.5 liters including a ridiculously expensive oil filter every 5000km or less and shit the bottom end regardless in 20-80 thou km?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Shame Nissan Patrols are only coming in with the petrol engine. They were a pretty damned good wagon with a diesel and hair drier.
    csmiffy likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    The trouble is tho is what do you get instead? there is no popular brand I can think of that I havent heard of issues ,some very expensive ,with there later models.... pick the one with cheaper issues?
    +1

The days of brand X is most reliable bar none are gone I think, to meet emission standards and customer expectations (power, comfort etc) most of the vehicles are much of a muchness. The best thing you can do is actively look after your vehicle, when something doesn't feel/look/sound right get it looked into, as a lot of small issues can become expensive if ignored.

Have to remember that most folk only post on the internet bad experiences so you don't hear about all the good vehicles out there that have been hassle free.

Personally I'd buy an vehicle model that's been out for a few years and look through forums to find out potential issues, often you will find an issue has had a recall or a Service Bulletin issued after a few years.

Mmmmmm and 7500tho oil changes
    Makes me want to run down and get one
    Stupid 7500 service intervals was done to keep an eye on the oil consumption issues. Bit like Holden's Colorado longer dipstick fix really
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    Stupid 7500 service intervals was done to keep an eye on the oil consumption issues. Bit like Holden's Colorado longer dipstick fix really
    Yeah I know, 5l between oil changes is normal tho a
    cambo likes this.

In saying they'e shit, we have a customer that has done 420ks in his and its all good. It gets driven hard, and I mean hard, all the time.
    Most of the worst oil burners we've seen have only been Merivale tractors.
    veitnamcam and JoshC like this.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

You can get the early post 2007 Prado 120 GXL wagon with the D4D motor here for 17K. They are pretty good as long as you change the injectors when the start to rattle. Cost of injectors has come way back from where they were to some thing almost reasonable.

I went through the same thing recently after a bad run with older diesels crapping out. I went with a 90 series prado but went for the 3.5 v6 petrol. Mine is an 01 with 140000km and got it for 10k. These engines are bullet proof, plenty of grunt and the only downside is fuel consumption. It’s thirsty but not ridiculous and is a great vehicle. The equivalent diesel woulda set me back another 7k. For a hunting vehicle and not a everyday run about it suits me perfectly. Good for towing too. For the price difference it would pay to consider petrol.

H.M
    Cool thanks, yeah petrol wouldnt worry me as it will be just used for hunting and fishing so just a w.e veichle but have 2 dogs and it gets bloody smelly when they are in the cab, even worse when they are wet and muddy, thats the main reason id rather a ute with a canopy. Otherwise the prado would be bang on.