Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: NZHS Rimfire Postal Shoot

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillie View Post
    The longer the distances get the harder it will be for people to compete. Nothing about their ability just about finding places to shoot.
    The caliber/BC restriction is an interesting point. I tried to get round that by dividing the 300m score by the projectile BC i.e. the lower the BC the more your score would be increased with the conversion of course you still have to hit a scoring ring...

Fair enough, that could/would be a better way to do it. Getting an area to do the shoot will be a problem for some.

Impure Lead Flinger
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Fair enough, that could/would be a better way to do it. Getting an area to do the shoot will be a problem for some.
    Yes but making a timeframe of almost 2 months gives plenty of time for people to get access to somewhere to participate!!

R93
    Get a format done up and we will get into it. What size V bulls will be on the targets to score? Or will they be the same?

Impure Lead Flinger
    Get a format done up and we will get into it. What size V bulls will be on the targets to score? Or will they be the same?
    I thought we were doin the one that simon suggested? Varmint type!
    Run with that for now as it sounds like alot of fun and easy for most to participate..
    Then we can run something longer over the summer when time and weather lets us out more...

But i think it will be really hard to do anything really LR postal

R93
    Ill find out.

Quote Originally Posted by baldbob View Post
    Good point on the time limit but 5 shots is barely enough to warm the BBL... I usually do about 6-8 in my good BBLs before I let emm cool...
    Ok drop the time limit then?

Id host it but ill be at sea from 22nd sept to 28th oct..

If simon was still to host then plenty of people have the targets around here to email them anyway and 6th oct to the end of the month gives people plenty of time to get the targets in to him?

So are we agreed and a GO???
    Sorry baldbod, i thought you were suggesting we fire 5 shots at all four targets in 3 minutes i.e. 20 shots in 3 minutes....
    I like the time limit though, did this at a long range shoot in Rotorua. It screwed quite a few people up... You aren't allowed to have any gear waiting at your shooting position though, you have to carry it all with you those 5m (Shooting mat, spotting scope, rear bag, pedistal rest....)

So sighters or not? You don't really get sighters out in the field...
    5 shots on each target?
    A caliber or BC restriction? Divide the 300m target score by the bullet G1 BC? Or just don't worry and allow anything with no gauging or "grading"? This would certainly give an advantage to those keen to shoot it with larger calibers - asuming their shooting ability does not degrade with caliber.
    How many people run a varmint rifle caliber .270 or larger though?
    Last edited by Gillie; 10-09-2012 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by baldbob View Post
    I vote we drop the BC conversions as 300 is not enough to make much difference.. We will just get guys using accurate low BC pills to increase score...

At that range its all about the accuracy of the rifle and the skills of the shooter..
    Not disagreeing with you but at 300m using a projectile with a higher BC will help, particularly with the size of the scoring rings.
    Yep and most F-Class guys i have talked to agree that the 300yard range is basically an accuracy race as the wind doesn't have enough of an effect. Of course their v-bull is about the size of our target...

Impure Lead Flinger
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillie View Post
    Sorry baldbod, i thought you were suggesting we fire 5 shots at all four targets in 3 minutes i.e. 20 shots in 3 minutes....
    I like the time limit though, did this at a long range shoot in Rotorua. It screwed quite a few people up... You aren't allowed to have any gear waiting at your shooting position though, you have to carry it all with you those 5m (Shooting mat, spotting scope, rea bag, pedistal rest....)

So sighters or not? You don't really get sighters out in the field...
    5 shots on each target?
    A caliber or BC restriction? Divide the 300m target score by the bullet G1 BC? Or just don't worry and allow anything with no gauging or "grading"? This would certainly give an advantage to those keen to shoot it with larger calibers - asuming their shooting ability does not degrade with caliber.
    How many people run a varmint rifle caliber .270 or larger though?
    No sighters would allow a more field orientated sense to the shoot...
    300m is to short to effect a BC restriction I feel.. as BC means F...all that short, I rekn you will need to be calibre restricted ie 6.5 or less...
    I dont think it will give to much advantage to the larger calibres...
    If it makes you feel better you could implement gauging on it?

But its an accuracy race lol

ok then that sounds like a plan then:
    Rabbit at 100m, magpie at 150m, possum at 200m, wild cat at 300m
    5 shots at each target - no sighters - honesty required
    3 minute time limit for each target starting 5m back from the shooting position carrying all the gear you require i.e. no gear pre-setup at the shooting location.
    Caliber restricted to 6.5mm and under. No gauging. Inward scoring.
    No other rifle or sight restriction.
    No restriction on type of rest or shooting position (shooting off a bench would be fine, you just have to carry it 5m!)
    Targets submitted by the 16th of November 2012

Hows that sound? Basically an accuracy race to 300m (i.e. meters not yards... )

Impure Lead Flinger
    I reckon your on to something...

Better start a new thread For it ah?

Otherwise the rules will get lost in the kerfuffle and we will all get confused

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Im gonna need a varmint rifle now
    ANSCHUTZ M54 action in .222Start price: $850.00Closes: Thu 13 Sep, 8:00 pm Listing #: 510675332

Banned
    can I shoot it with my 243?

Banned
    Ive got a farm to shoot on its pretty much got a 350m range on it marked every hundy.
    Will it be 300 adv to 100? or not important.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    can I shoot it with my 243?
    If you think it will reach 3 hundy why not???

If you think it will reach 3 hundy why not???

wasting my time with the 308 then
    baldbob likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 31-07-2012, 11:08 AM