Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Hunting Jacket

Hunting Jacket

My old gore-tex jacket has deteriorated to the point it lets in rain and traps in sweat, looking at a replacement, Swazi Torrent, Huntech Tussock or Ridgeline Moonsoon. Not sure if any or all are gore-tex but need a waterproof breathable jacket for normal hunting, (not Tahr in middle winter). Any other options? Thanks

H.M
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohawk .308 View Post
    If you want a cheaper option, these are very good quality, roll up small and very waterproof

https://www.armyandoutdoors.co.nz/co...pm-jacket-used
    Nor-west, i have one of these in the desert colour that i have never worn as it is too big for me, it is as new condition as far as i can see. If you pm me your size and if it will fit you you can have it.
    nor-west, Micky Duck, MB and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by H.M View Post
    Nor-west, i have one of these in the desert colour that i have never worn as it is too big for me, it is as new condition as far as i can see. If you pm me your size and if it will fit you you can have it.
    They are really good - I have the pants, $59 brand new - can’t go wrong. Sizing tend to run large - sized to fit over gear.

If commercial, kuiu are great, fabrics a step up from goretex, but best to wait for a sale and they seem to have supply issues at present.

My swazi wapati coat carked it after 15 years or so it was the now superceeded gortex model - seam seals came off unfixable apparently- good coat when it got really wet it held alot of water became heavy

So off to hunting and fushing with stoney crk glasnock in mind - spotted their Suppressor jacket damn near identical to the wapiti coat and to warm the cockles of a scotsmans heart 1/2 the price at $350. So far very pleased after a tryout 4 days Lewis pass- nice tuatara pattern huge front pockets that keep my ultra lite downjacket in one other useful stuff in tother. Kept me warm n dry it rained but did not piss down tough.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

I've had quite a few of those sort of jackets and have now just settled on my Earth Sea Sky Hydrophobia. Brilliant jackets that pack down small and keep the rain out 100% and still breathe very well
    25 /08 IMP likes this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    I've had quite a few of those sort of jackets and have now just settled on my Earth Sea Sky Hydrophobia. Brilliant jackets that pack down small and keep the rain out 100% and still breathe very well
    How’s the seam sealing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All good no problems. Have two of them including one I wear on the farm quite a bit and it gets a thrashing and put through the wash heaps and seams still holding up well
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

MSL

Hunting Jacket

Good, I’ve been pretty disappointed with some of the ‘premium’ branded stuff, seam sealing coming away inside 12 months of occasional use. Have some earth sea sky thermals, and they’re great. As you well know, the hunting branded stuff generally doesn’t compare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve123 likes this.

Banned
    I have been comparing jackets when feeding out etc in the rain and I have found that I am only completely dry if I wear two jackets - a gortex one with a Line 7 on top. the gortex one is a swazi Tahr which is heavy and gets heavier when wet - the bit hanging out at the arse end and is difficult to dry.
    What is the best value lightweight gortex jacket to use as an under layer ?

H.M
    Anyone tried the cactus rain jackets?

Another option is just getting wet and learning to deal with the cold. Then chuck on some warm/dry clothing at night. I imagine people have done that for thousands of years.

Take cold showers every morning. Don't wear socks or gloves. Wear as little clothing as possible when going out to town on a cold/wet day. Swim in cold water. Go barefoot running on frost covered grass. Don't put the heater on in the bedroom at night. Eventually you'll build up a healthy resistance to being cold.

As for goretex and similar lightweight fabrics - I don't like them, but they've got their place. It matters little whether you pay $300 or $1300. None of them are built to last, but they're typically very comfortable to wear while they're still intact. So just pick one that suits your budget and roll with it.

If you can handle a bit of weight and you want something that will handle heavy use, look into felted wool, Ventile (cotton), or waxed canvas and/or leather. Usually pretty expensive, but hard-wearing and easy to maintain.

Quote Originally Posted by H.M View Post
    Anyone tried the cactus rain jackets?
    Brilliant! Heavy but super durable, if I'm expecting an extended period of shite weather on a trip it what goes in the pack.
    Design is really good with all the stuff you want but none of the stuff you don't.

I have the new model Huntech Tussock jacket. Been using it for a year now and it does everything it says it will. Very water proof and breathable. Not quiet in the bush though if that's a consideration. Still have my Swazi Wapiti which leaks after 18 years. Only thing probably not as good as the Swazi would be the hood set up in my view.
    AMac and Moa Hunter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Another option is just getting wet and learning to deal with the cold. Then chuck on some warm/dry clothing at night. I imagine people have done that for thousands of years.

Take cold showers every morning. Don't wear socks or gloves. Wear as little clothing as possible when going out to town on a cold/wet day. Swim in cold water. Go barefoot running on frost covered grass. Don't put the heater on in the bedroom at night. Eventually you'll build up a healthy resistance to being cold.

As for goretex and similar lightweight fabrics - I don't like them, but they've got their place. It matters little whether you pay $300 or $1300. None of them are built to last, but they're typically very comfortable to wear while they're still intact. So just pick one that suits your budget and roll with it.

If you can handle a bit of weight and you want something that will handle heavy use, look into felted wool, Ventile (cotton), or waxed canvas and/or leather. Usually pretty expensive, but hard-wearing and easy to maintain.
    Also, you should slowly build up towards just eating whole deer raw and clubbing women on the head and dragging them back to your cave.
    I recommend starting out with shashimi and giving the Mrs a light tap on the noggin with a wooden spoon and work your way up from there
    Brian, BRADS, Steve123 and 5 others like this.
    10! has 270 divisors

make sure to drag from hair...if you drag by ankles,the girly bits will fill with gravel.....
    Carbine likes this.