Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Hunting Jacket

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Another option is just getting wet and learning to deal with the cold. Then chuck on some warm/dry clothing at night. I imagine people have done that for thousands of years.

Take cold showers every morning. Don't wear socks or gloves. Wear as little clothing as possible when going out to town on a cold/wet day. Swim in cold water. Go barefoot running on frost covered grass. Don't put the heater on in the bedroom at night. Eventually you'll build up a healthy resistance to being cold.

As for goretex and similar lightweight fabrics - I don't like them, but they've got their place. It matters little whether you pay $300 or $1300. None of them are built to last, but they're typically very comfortable to wear while they're still intact. So just pick one that suits your budget and roll with it.

If you can handle a bit of weight and you want something that will handle heavy use, look into felted wool, Ventile (cotton), or waxed canvas and/or leather. Usually pretty expensive, but hard-wearing and easy to maintain.
    I surely hope you carry a plb/epirb with you...will make it much easier for LANDSAR to find you when you eventually succumb to hypothermia
    BRADS and thejamesjames like this.

Quote Originally Posted by H.M View Post
    Anyone tried the cactus rain jackets?
    Yes I have
    Have used the cactus rain jacket for 2 years now on the farm so reasonably heavy use and its buy far the best rain jacket I've had.
    The $ sit in the same league as the better Swazi jackets etc but it far out performs any of them I've used.
    As a hunting coat it doesn't pack down small compared to other coats. But I'd have no trouble highly recommending them.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    Danny and Moa Hunter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Also, you should slowly build up towards just eating whole deer raw and clubbing women on the head and dragging them back to your cave.
    I recommend starting out with shashimi and giving the Mrs a light tap on the noggin with a wooden spoon and work your way up from there

Thanks for feedback @BRADS. I am looking at a Cactus myself, have the jackets etc and wear them each day, hearty, and built to last a long time.
    WOE doesn’t do water proof jackets? He’s done a jacket for me that is extremely warm and hearty but I didn’t ask re water proof.

I’ll put in an order to cactus this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan M

H.M
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntfisheat View Post
    I've got 2 main jackets.
    One is a Swazi Tahr Anorak that I bought shortly after they came out in the new Aegis fabric. Good jacket, however it was $720 brand new to me and then, a month after my purchase, they dropped the price to $650 or so. Swazi didn't even reply to my request for a store credit for the difference.
    The other is a Huntech Tussock jacket. This was supplied to me by Huntech after an older model of theirs crapped out very prematurely after only 8 or so uses and started leaking badly around the shoulders and waist. I sent it back to them after a phone call and 5 days later I got the new model delivered to my door with an apology for my bad experience, so the new jacket cost me what I paid for the run out price on the old model, $149. Happy boy. Now they have their 20% sale on, it's majestic value, I believe, but I would be happy to pay the full price as I believe it's worth the coin..
    The Tussock jacket is the best I have owned. I've been using it full time in pest control for the best part of a year and it's been brilliant, though some won't like the weight at around a kg. For me, with the weight comes some advantages such as durability, which it has proven to have, as I work constantly amongst all sorts of nasty Central Otago spiky shit.
    What I really like are the two way zip, as I do a lot of climbing and descending, and the pit zips, which, for a prolific sweater, are now what I consider a necessity.
    The hood is a great design and easy to re align on the fly thanks to the way the cord retainers work. The cuffs are simple and effective too.
    It has a long enough tail for me to sit on if I choose.
    The two way zip is great in the kayak as I can roll the bottom up under the waist draw cord with ease and that helps big time with paddling long distances in the wet, although, of course, you can't paddle a yak in the dry.
    Above all, and over all the years I have been dealing with Huntech, their customer service has been utterly exceptional, so massive kudos to them for that.
    For me when I'm looking at replacing gear, the first question I ask is: "when this jacket has done it's time, would I replace it with the same item?"
    At this stage, the answer is I would with the Huntech.
    The Swazi is on Trade Me.
    Have to agree with the huntech costumer service, i went to sell my older soft shell jacket the other day, it just sits on the hook hardly used, would have been used 2-3 times a year in last 3-4 years, i noticed one of the seams had come away on the inside so i turned it inside out and bugger me every sealed seem had come off! Very bad for the little use it has had, anyway contacted them and after a couple emails they are happy to replace it with a New Mckenzie Anorak. Even tho its a worry the jacket did this in the first place it is excellent service so will keep shopping there.
    Moa Hunter likes this.