Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree168Likes

Thread: Will COVID-19 change your purchasing decisions?

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Yes. If a family had managed to save NZ$100,000 as at January 2020 it would have been worth about US$90,000 (The major international trading currency).
    Today our NZ$100,000 is devalued to approx US$60,000; so our NZ family has lost 40% of its tradeable equity almost overnight. On top of that we are goung into a massive national debt because the COL failed to shut out the covid19 by decisive decisionmakung action. The opposition too, and the "expert" economists failed to scream "DANGER" loudly and quickly enough.
    I hope the gullible NZ state dependents now created will demand accountability from the mutts that have sold us into servitude.
    I mean, fair context and all, Comparitovely our government has been massivly restrictive and aggressive with the management of this shit. There is no magic wand anyone could have waved that would have stopped the economy crashing. Its been a bubble ripe to burst for the last while anyway.

For hunting and fishing gear support direct to consumer and non distributor models (55six, cactus etc as much as possible.) Competition benifits the consumer.

End of the day this will be like any other recession. Ride it out, start spending when you can and confidence will restore. Great time for whichever government we end up with to borrow and spend big on Infrastructure.
    Steve123 and Russian 22. like this.

Govt was too slow to act. Consequences could have been less.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat ninja View Post
    Is there a “chat” where all the places we have had good service, pricing etc is? Would be good to know who is good to deal with and who is in the league of HnF. Thoughts, suggestions?
    There is a good service type thread or two on here I just cant recall the exact titles atm
    Fat ninja likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I intend to do a lot more bullet casting to save some dosh.

Avoiding Chinese made stuff is difficult but definitely buy local made if possible.

Govt was too slow to act. Consequences could have been less.
    To be fair woody we will never know. That’s in our past. We have to make the moves going forward count. Hopefully we get it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tahr likes this.

There has to be an accounting and a reckoning.
    sightpicture likes this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

The COL fucked it up. We warned them. Cinders was focused on Burqa-virtue. You can disagree. Whatever.
    outlander and Mr Browning like this.

MB
    I thought the border should have been shut to all non-citizens/residents much sooner, but that had to be balanced against harm to New Zealanders due to economic factors. There are still people saying the effects of lockdown are going to be worse than the virus itself. I don't agree, but it is a valid opinion. I'm glad I don't have to make those decisions.

Back to the topic. I find another issue is being able to see items locally. I like to buy good quality shit. And often not just go with the norm etc. Trying to find a set of Leica Ultravids recently was quite difficult. And locals require you to buy it to get it in for you. Luckily I found the last set at a local photography shop. Happy to pay a little more than I could get them online. But in cases where they are just going to order them I may as well do it myself. I have been buying a few things from a local provider recently. I asked whether they could query about an item and they made it seem a huge hassle. I had taken a $400 hit buying things from them I could get online for a lot less. I obviously feel like I've done them a favour and feel they should maybe show a bit more euthasiuasm in helping because if I can buy it online for 400 less in NZ they made atleast that much or better sharpen up on business as I'm not happy to pay for poor business decisions just to buy local.

Also on niche items like I'm looking at setting up a bow at the moment and we don't have the options I want. And for the price of middle rate gear here I can bring in top of the line gear from the US for the same or less even with the shit conversion. Black Gold Sights aren't available here as far as I can tell we have limited rest options etc. I will buy my bow here as I can find most options here but I can't go try them all but luckily I tried a bunch in the US at Pro shops my cousin uses.

I'm a Montana Native so I often find myself supporting montana companies as they make some of the best gear hunting wise. I brought a Stone glacier pack when in Bozeman last year when I stopped in a the factory. They gave me a 10% professional discount as I said I was about to head to Canada wrangling then knocked of 5% extra. They spent half and hour fitting me and showing me all the features etc. Let me know which accessories weren't suitable for my intention, talked to me about the unlimited sheep hints etc. Then at checkout they told me to go pick out a short and it was free. I didn't need the shirt but it made me feel appreciated and I will talk them up any opportunity I get as the pack is awesome but more so the guys that run it are. Some local businesses could learn a lot from the US market.

Quote Originally Posted by sightpicture View Post
    Sadly, I do not think we will ever get to the stage of tar & feathers. Usually, New Zealand gets no further than the stage of Tahring and Dithering, because we have so many ex-university lecturers as our government.
    I see how you did this. True too.
    Steve123 likes this.

It will change my purchasing decisions if the shit Im ordering from China goes missing in the mail like it did last year after the other bullshit event where Cinders turned NZ on its head.
    outlander likes this.
    GUN CONTROL IS A TIGHT 5-SHOT GROUP.

I don't buy a lot new. Usually second hand.

I usually tend to buy stuff from nz retailers if the price is reasonable. I factor in the cost overseas and how long til I get it.

I prefer to have it straight away if they're reasonably priced and have a local human being that I can annoy if there's any issues as opposed to emails back and forth when they might not be obliged to do much for me.

There has to be an accounting and a reckoning.
    No doubt. We’ll have to get out of lockdown first though....emergency powers and all that...

Woody likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sightpicture View Post
    The COL fucked it up. We warned them. Cinders was focused on Burqa-virtue. You can disagree. Whatever.
    Not disagreeing. Just gotta make the right moves going forward whilst taking on board the lessons of the past. I not saying ‘THEY’ will but yeah....

Woody likes this.

Think you'll find what's on the retailers shelves today will be priced at as good as it gets. When the results of the $ kicks in prices will only go one way, UP.
    Woody likes this.