Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree307Likes

Thread: Deleting profile to escape n get out of this place

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Sapper View Post
    There is no ability for the user to delete their profile. A possibility which the creators of this site never apparently considered. I wonder why?
    Anyway, you've said bye bye so I wish you Bon Voyage and never expect to see another post from you on this site again, 'cos that would mean we just have another one trick Show Pony.

P.S. The first workable prototype of the Internet came in the late 1960s with the creation of ARPANET so to achieve Nirvana you will have to go back further than the 19070's ,,,,,,,I suggest the 1940's as so much was unavailable or rationed then your life would be really simple. i.e you would probably told what to do and not to do by the Government of the day .............something we seem to be heading back to.
    One has to go further back than that Slapper, this is my late mums registration booklet...looks like she last paid in 1945.

Name:  IMG_3326.JPG
Views: 369
Size:  448.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_3327.JPG
Views: 376
Size:  517.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_3328.JPG
Views: 364
Size:  355.4 KB
    Moa Hunter and Phil_H like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    One has to go further back than that Slapper, this is my late mums registration booklet...looks like she last paid in 1945......
    You missed the OP's stated avoidance action."...... I'm going to jettison the internet and go back to the 1970s"

Your example The Social Security Act 1938 was the first Labour government’s welfare programme, which overhauled the pension system and extended benefits for families, invalids and the unemployed. Seems to me the OP's comment was avoidance of the internet, not Government control. Were it to be that, then he would be in the midst of the "Musket Wars" 1800 to 1840.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    It is comments like this (highlighted) that have killed the hunting reports and magazine section. That is a shame because for many that was the corner stone of the forum.
    Since the "event" the forum (to me) has been populated by (some) people who only seem to have a passing interest in hunting and shooting but a particular interest in expressing their political discontent and resentment in most nasty and personalised ways, and/or wish to explore the fringe ends of topics that have nothing to do with the forum's (former) core purpose. That "common interest and camaraderie" might suit some, but not me.
    Some may have considered the posting of dead animal photos in isolation 'the cornerstone of the forum'. But for me whilst I respect that, especially hard won trophies. I like to see that balanced with photos of meals prepared from these hunted wild foods and the sharing of recipe's, photos of kids out hunting, the birds of the forest, sunsets, the things that are the foundation of a happy well rounded existence and enjoyment of the wilds.
    These things represent us as good and decent people, connected to the cycle of life on earth.
    Tahr, the respect I have for you comes from your generosity in giving away meat to charity. I would like very much to see photos of that posted
    Kiwi Sapper likes this.

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Some may have considered the posting of dead animal photos in isolation 'the cornerstone of the forum'. But for me whilst I respect that, especially hard won trophies. I like to see that balanced with photos of meals prepared from wild foods and the sharing of recipe's, photos of kids out hunting, the birds of the forest, sunsets, the things that are the foundation of a happy well rounded existence and enjoyment of the wilds.
    These things represent us as good and decent people.
    All of those topics do exist on this forum MH... Along with reviews of gear, reloading info etc.
    BRADS, zimmer and Micky Duck like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Some may have considered the posting of dead animal photos in isolation 'the cornerstone of the forum'. But for me whilst I respect that, especially hard won trophies. I like to see that balanced with photos of meals prepared from these hunted wild foods and the sharing of recipe's, photos of kids out hunting, the birds of the forest, sunsets, the things that are the foundation of a happy well rounded existence and enjoyment of the wilds.
    These things represent us as good and decent people, connected to the cycle of life on earth.
    Tahr, the respect I have for you comes from your generosity in giving away meat to charity. I would like very much to see photos of that posted
    But here's the thing. For these things to flourish as you want, that ought to be where your energy goes. How often do you begin them? How often do you contribute to them? Compared to how often you dwell on Covid and towers??

I repeat, there is a segment on here that simply want to dwell on the negative, the unrelated and the bull shit. They make a fool of a very good hunting and shooting forum.

so when you go out to the pub for a beer , is beer all you talk about ?

when you go out for a hunt with mates , is hunting all you talk about ?
    born to hunt - forced to work

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Sapper View Post
    You missed the OP's stated avoidance action."...... I'm going to jettison the internet and go back to the 1970s"

Your example The Social Security Act 1938 was the first Labour government’s welfare programme, which overhauled the pension system and extended benefits for families, invalids and the unemployed. Seems to me the OP's comment was avoidance of the internet, not Government control. Were it to be that, then he would be in the midst of the "Musket Wars" 1800 to 1840.
    Oh, I didn't miss it at all, just wrote it all off as 'bush sickness' which I think is brought on by Tutu in the drinking water, inhaling possum fur, cabin fever, maybe a touch of cyanide, poor grade of cannabis...the list goes on.

Actually the booklet was the registration of all females of a certain age, and they either thought the war was going to last many more years or gave up on the idea...of course the only people who may remember it happening would all be 100 years old now.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

northdude
    Bring on the hate speech laws and wait for the tenticles to spread.. I wouuld of thought demonstrating that we talk about everything normal joe public talks about would be good. Otherwise we look like a bunch of rednecks that all we talk about is guns...
    Moa Hunter, outlander and Dago like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ftx325 View Post
    so when you go out to the pub for a beer , is beer all you talk about ?

when you go out for a hunt with mates , is hunting all you talk about ?

The majority of non-hunting (political) discussions here are a case study in confirmation bias; angry people with a set opinion interested in "being right", not getting the right answer. There is little arguing in good faith or discovery through dialogue. Were a mate of mine to act such in real life, I would be happy to help them grow as a person but I'm not interested in running free online mentoring

This is besides the additional point that it isn't necessarily the discussions that are irritating the 95%, it is the tendency of some people to post in every single thread they can find about something political and unrelated. I get it, I don't like Jacinda or the government either (any flavour), I lost firearms at a loss in 2019 and I don't trust them or think they're telling the truth about everything. I also don't need to rant in every thread about it. It is what it is, focussing on the negatives all the time can be satisfying but leads to a feedback loop of negativity and bitterness. It's not good for your life.

There are 3 options as a moderator/admin of a forum where members are acting contrary to the way we would like members to act:
    1: Do nothing. This is very easy but leads to echo chambers and bullying cliques.
    2: Argue the point. This takes a lot of time and I personally don't receive a single cent for doing anything related to this forum, and I have much better things to do with my life, given the close-mindedness of those involved meaning that it is likely pointless - again, most involved say they are "seeking alternative information" or similar but are victims of confirmation bias.
    3: Delete people and close threads if they don't follow the simple rules. This is what I am leaning towards at the moment as it is becoming very tiresome.
    Wildman, Proudkiwi, ebf and 16 others like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 35whelen View Post
    I ask where's the button because I have looked at all the "My profile settings" and other options, and for the life of me It appears that it's not possible to remove an account and delete MY profile?
    Just out of interest have any of you noticed that this sight records and tracks your every move ?
    Once they control what you hate! They'll interfere with the things you like and will reach across the table and take whatever they want.... I always leave a party while its fun and before the Drunks are too drunk and ruin the place...
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i_aYli_1iqs
    There's no delete profile facility. I recommend hanging a few rows back. Its quieter and I don't have as much egg running down my face.

Enjoyed your prose and quotes. Stick around some
    Barefoot and Ben Waimata like this.

I hesitate to jump into this sort of thread being a "FNG" but i always felt one is only going to see what you choose to click on and open. And now I'm ankles deep in it, I like how this community supports each other, asking questions or for advice and not just on hunting and shooting, but the best ute, or help recovering an anchor at the bottom of the sea etc.
    Ive been a dozen or more forums, but this one by far has the best "esprit de corps" and good will

northdude
    It gets bought up all the time if you dont like the subject dont click on it but thats never going to change just the same as people talking about everything and any thing. At the end of the day both camps need to learn to just suck it up buttercups. Have a lovely evening fellow firearms enthusuests
    Kiwi Sapper, hamsav and outlander like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    .............There are 3 options as a moderator/admin of a forum where members are acting contrary to the way we would like members to act:..........
    The "we" of course, being hopefully the same as the majority of the members. So, with those "3 options" being:

1: Do nothing. ...................
    2: Argue the point. ...................................
    3: Delete people and close threads if they don't follow the simple rules. This is what I am leaning towards at the moment as it is becoming very tiresome.”

Interesting options and here, unasked for, are my observations on your three options".

1...That seems to be the current par for the course.
    2... “Argue.”? Is that your only response, why not comment on other’s views, or add your views?
    3...”Delete people and close threads..” Surely that is the just one part of the role of an active website moderator ?

My queries.
    Do you know what the readers want to read?
    Agreed, there are complaints about “politics’ entering into threads, but I also see complaints that there are not enough desired threads being created on hunting and shooting matters. So just who is expected to create these desired threads?
    Do you know how many members create posts as opposed to just those who reading?
    Do the scope of subjects within the “desired threads” need to be expanded? Are reader’s views on what they are interested in, evolving with the interesting times we have?

coming at it from another direction:

When did those who make decisions on this site's directions last consider:
    a...what readers want to read. In fact when did they last:
    b...do a count of the numbers of readers who make posts.
    c...Do a count of how many readers this site actually has?

The information on the last two should be easily gleaned from the systems databases and would be a starting point in deciding if you have enough posters to revert your site back to one with a good supply of fresh posts but only on “Hunting and Shooting” issues

OR

Consider some changes because reality changes.

One way to find an answer is to “Do it”. Delete those who breach the rules, (I anticipate being one of the first to be deleted,no problem) but remember the old saying, “be careful what you wish for” as there is a possibility the site content may be bit thin and stale if you try to "turn back time". and non conformers , once culled may neer be seen again.

Just saying.
    Moa Hunter and outlander like this.

OK to answer ORIGONAL POSTERS QUESTION...... go into your setting and change your forum name to full stop...your location to comma and anything else to an apostrophy...what you have posted in your time here will still be written but it will be written by full stop...and I believe you will be not a member you will be gone,or no longer member or something....
    or you can just log off...and everything will stay as it is forever and a day...you can log back in later...
    IF YOU quit...you cant reasume your old profile....
    Kiwi Sapper likes this.

I can understand wanting to erase all tracks of yourself and your opinions off the internet. If the account itself cannot be deleted, maybe delete all of your comments (not sure if that is possible) if you don't want someone finding out who you might be, do not use the same username you used here on another website in the future. I don't think 35whelen is saying they hate the site, but just want to delete their presence off the internet as a whole as much as possible. After all, maybe in some dystopian future, a dear leader will find something you said two decades ago that is worthy of prosecution, and your entire family line will be punished for it. Just joking, probably wont happen. Maybe. Heard cases of people getting fired from a job because an angry internet mob found out that their father said something 'offensive' on a website one or two decades previously.
    Steve123, Moa Hunter and outlander like this.