Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: 22 magnum on reds

Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post
    I agree, not a fan of shooting game out past 350ish either (also comes into the whole fair chase/is it hunting or shooting debate)
    Happy to play at 1km on the range though for a bit of fun.

Not having a go at you re the .22, yes they will kill a deer, but probably not the best thing for a novice hunter reading this to be trying (let alone a .17) and great ammo for the antis to grab off a public forum.

My point is what if something goes wrong? With a cattle beast it runs around the yards a bit till you can give it another one. A deer you will probably never see again.
    Why does everyone always say "what if it goes wrong", in regards to taking animals with "inferior chamberings" you say it like things cant go wrong with a bigger calibre, they can go just as bad. What if you hit a deer in the nose with a 308, will be the same result/possibly worse than if you hit it in the nose with a .22. Facts are if you no your gun and your abilitys shooting deer with a 22/17/22mag etc is perfectly fine, no two levels of dead, dead is dead mate. I dont think you will find to many people actively pursuing deer with those calibres as it does limit you to what shots you can take. Same thing can be said for bow hunting, if you fuck the shot no matter what your weapon/calibre of choice is it aint going to end well for the animal.

Its like people put the majestic and elusive deer on a high pedestal, many people seem to have no problem experimenting shot placement, distance etc on goats but when it comes to the almighty deer suddenly its a different story
    JoshC, bully and daniel12 like this.

Well goats don't feel pain
    Neckshot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    Why does everyone always say "what if it goes wrong", in regards to taking animals with "inferior chamberings" you say it like things cant go wrong with a bigger calibre, they can go just as bad. What if you hit a deer in the nose with a 308, will be the same result/possibly worse than if you hit it in the nose with a .22. Facts are if you no your gun and your abilitys shooting deer with a 22/17/22mag etc is perfectly fine, no two levels of dead, dead is dead mate. I dont think you will find to many people actively pursuing deer with those calibres as it does limit you to what shots you can take. Same thing can be said for bow hunting, if you fuck the shot no matter what your weapon/calibre of choice is it aint going to end well for the animal.

Its like people put the majestic and elusive deer on a high pedestal, many people seem to have no problem experimenting shot placement, distance etc on goats but when it comes to the almighty deer suddenly its a different story
    Sure, i agree, in the same way as the exponents of small calibres always decide that those using a bigger calibre suddenly stop caring about shot placement!

I am not a huge fan of headshots either for the fact that they move so much and jaw shots are always possible.
    A shot that creases the skull with a small calibre probably won't drop it and it will still be at full running health, a centrefire will render it unconscious.

I don't advocate bad shots on any species, even possums get head or chest shots.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Well gimps don't feel pain
    Fixed it for ya
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Fixed it for ya
    We feel it, we just enjoy it
    Scouser likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post
    Sure, i agree, in the same way as the exponents of small calibres always decide that those using a bigger calibre suddenly stop caring about shot placement!

I am not a huge fan of headshots either for the fact that they move so much and jaw shots are always possible.
    A shot that creases the skull with a small calibre probably won't drop it and it will still be at full running health, a centrefire will render it unconscious.

I don't advocate bad shots on any species, even possums get head or chest shots.
    Yeah good point and that is typically quite true also (about people assuming that if you use a big magnum you dont care for shot placement)
    Im not an advocate for small calibres, i would much prefer to take my wsm out hunting then the 243, even take the 9.3 out sometimes.

Was just saying that if i do come across a deer that i want to eat and i have a rimfire with me and the shot presents its self, im going to shoot it, i no the calibres limitations.

but the question on the thread was can you shoot reds with a 22mag or 17 etc, answer is YES, quite effectively.
    Should you shoot deer with a 22mag? as r93 said we all need to know our limitations and employ them.
    Spudattack likes this.

R93

22 magnum on reds

I should really clear one thing up.
    I do, at times, skip gayly thru the tussock.
    My rifle is always in the scabbard on my pack when doing so. Gotta be safe while skipping.
    Don't wanna have a wee woopsy should I miss a skip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    7mmsaum, JoshC, Neckshot and 1 others like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I should really clear one thing up.
    I do, at times, skip gayly thru the tussock.
    My rifle is always in the scabbard on my pack when doing so. Gotta be safe while skipping.
    Don't wanna have a wee woopsy should I miss a skip.

I would pay money to see you skip.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    I would pay money to see you skip.
    Ha Ha you wanker, you have witnessed my lack of co-ordination, so doubt my skipping ability.
    If someone starts me off I can maintain it for a minute or so till I get tangled up.

Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

LJP
    Ekkkkkk 22 Magnum on deer I sold my 22 hornet after neck shooting a goat at 100 yds with winchester factory ammo & had it run off screaming with a shallow splash wound. In perfect conditions I probably would but my personal imposed minimum calibre choice is 223.

anything is better than a bow...even shooting at 350m

Quote Originally Posted by sakokid View Post
    explain?

DAF
    Quote Originally Posted by sakokid View Post
    Your joking right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Such is life..." - Ned Kelly

.17 HMR, .22 mag/LR capable of downing deer?
    Yes.

Ideal?
    No.
    GravelBen likes this.

man we could talk about this all night. I myself would not use a 22mag on deer. yes it could drop a deer, but that's what I have got my 7mm for. save the 22mag for possums, hares, rabbits, and the odd goat.