Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: 22 magnum on reds

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    Out of interest, how much margin for error is there in hitting a deer brain with a 22LR? I ask as once I had a young goat just stand there bleating at me after 3x 22mag rounds to the head at maybe 70m. It was incapacitated enough for me to walk up and cut its throat without it running away, but not a nice feeling making an animal suffer.

Checked my zero afterwards and it was shooting an inch to the right as I'd grabbed the wrong box of ammo, it didn't take much for me to have hit a bit far forward on the skull and missed the critical part of the brain.
    Not much if front or side on but looking away there is a larger margin for error height wise.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

You can club a deer to death with a stick, doesn't make it ethical. Leave the .22 for small game and break out the centre fires for reds.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    ok by the sounds of your first comment i thought you meant taking a lung/heart shot on a deer with the 22.

A brain shot with any calibre is going to kill a deer carlsen, you dont need to explain how it does it haha

Perazzi, I only spelled it out because a bunch off people think that a .22lr will richochet off a deer's skull. but its not true.

my 5 cents worth ...
    good on you for having the confidence and ability to use such a small underpowered round
    BUT coming here and claiming "bragging rights" dosnt sit right with me

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bavarian_Hunter View Post
    You can club a deer to death with a stick, doesn't make it ethical. Leave the .22 for small game and break out the centre fires for reds.
    Now, you say that, but I really doubt you could beat a deer to death with a stick. I mean, I really doubt it. It would be like trying to strangle one with your swanndri. I would take the .22 in a flash over the bow and your stick or the swanny...
    R93 likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sakkaranz View Post
    my 5 cents worth ...
    good on you for having the confidence and ability to use such a small underpowered round
    BUT coming here and claiming "bragging rights" dosnt sit right with me
    Are you talking to me? There are two other people on this thread who have killed over thirty - forty deer with a .22. As far as you know I havn't shot one! I was trying to help the OP with his question.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsen Highway View Post
    Are you talking to me? There are two other people on this thread who have killed over thirty - forty deer with a .22. As far as you know I havn't shot one! I was trying to help the OP with his question.
    sorry was meaning the original post

R93
    Are you talking to me?
    Watch yourself mate...............DeNiro is getting angry

Now, you say that, but I really doubt you could beat a deer to death with a stick. I mean, I really doubt it. It would be like trying to strangle one with your swanndri. I would take the .22 in a flash over the bow and your stick or the swanny...
    .22 over a bow? Mate I think that's a biiiig exaggeration unless you have genuinely no idea about what a bow is capable of doing.

Name:  1359469161282.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  27.4 KB
    Timmay likes this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Bavarian_Hunter View Post
    .22 over a bow? Mate I think that's a biiiig exaggeration unless you have genuinely no idea about what a bow is capable of doing.
    I am sure he is meaning in regards to a clean shot with a .22 at a sensible range. I agree. A clean shot from a .22 will immediately immobilise/kill a deer or the like. An arrow in most cases allows it to run off and bleed out.

I honestly dont get carlson highways point...
    Anything to the brain will kill a deer, drop it on the spot, i could put a arrow in a deers brain and it would drop it on the spot. FACT

If we are comparing apples with apples you would need to compare the same shot placement e.g lung/heart. A bow is going to be FAR more effective than a 22lr.....
    Bavarian_Hunter and Toby like this.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I am sure he is meaning in regards to a clean shot with a .22 at a sensible range. I agree. A clean shot from a .22 will immediately immobilise/kill a deer or the like. An arrow in most cases allows it to run off and bleed out.
    If the only way to cleanly kill an animal with a certain weapon is to head shoot it then I think the question has been answered as to whether it is an ethical choice or not.

who says you cant shoot a deer in the head with a bow?

whitetail Head shot with bow - YouTube
    Dundee and PerazziSC3 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    I honestly dont get carlson highways point...
    Anything to the brain will kill a deer, drop it on the spot, i could put a arrow in a deers brain and it would drop it on the spot. FACT

If we are comparing apples with apples you would need to compare the same shot placement e.g lung/heart. A bow is going to be FAR more effective than a 22lr.....
    +1

As a non-bow hunter I have no idea, what sort of accuracy do you get from a bow?