Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: 22 magnum on reds

Banned
    All you ALL talking to me??
    you have to read my posts in context of what they were replying to.

I said, at 75 metres you cant kill a deer reliably with a bow because you cant hit the damn thing. I am well aware however that an arrow from a longbow will go through four inches of oak at 100 metres. My point is that I can still head and neck shoot a deer at 75metres with a .22 and he will expire with alacrity, whereas you cant hit it. So my money goes on the .22 shooter.
    Last edited by Carlsen Highway; 26-07-2013 at 01:29 PM.

:
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlsen Highway View Post
    Now, you say that, but I really doubt you could beat a deer to death with a stick. I mean, I really doubt it. It would be like trying to strangle one with your swanndri. I would take the .22 in a flash over the bow and your stick or the swanny...
    having never beat any animal to death with a stick let alone a red deer can anyone here recommend the minimum weight of said stick .. the minimum diameter and if the type of wood used would make a measurable difference ?? and will i be expecting a one hit kill ??cave:

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    As a non-bow hunter I have no idea, what sort of accuracy do you get from a bow?
    Outside of 40 metres they cant gaurantee anything. I have seen a goat shot straight through the heart at exactly 51 metres, a mighty fine shot and done with a longbow too.

If someone put a gun to my head and said you have to kill that deer over there at 50 metres - right now - do you know what are you going to use - the .22 or the bow? Well, do you punk?
    I would volunteer for the .22.
    Last edited by Carlsen Highway; 26-07-2013 at 01:31 PM.

All you ALL talking to me??
    you have to read all of my posts in context of what they were replying to.

I said, at 75 metres you cant kill a deer reliably with a bow because you cant hit the damn thing. I am well aware however that an arrow from a longbow will go through four inches of oak at 100 metres. My point is that I can still head and neck shoot a deer at 75 metres with a .22 and he will expire with alacrity.
    I doubt he'll go down so happily! I consider myself handy with a .22 but I wouldn't be confident of shooting deer in head from 75 m shot after shot. A slow, light projectile like that can be blown a mile by the wind over that distance and only needs to move a couple of inches if you are perfectly still to cause an agonizing death and not an instantaneous kill.

If you think people can't shoot with a bow out to that far you've never heard of Tm Wells my friend. This guy is my hunting idol.

New Zealand Tahr, Relentless Pursuit - YouTube

Classic Grizzly Hunt, Relentless Pursuit - YouTube

Kill of the Week 5 - Mid-Air Head Shots! (Argentina Hunt) - YouTube

Tim Wells -- Long Shot -- Hunting Alberta Mule Deer with Trophy Hunters Alberta - YouTube

Some go for a while so skip through if you want but there is good stuff in there, I have 6 of his DVD's at home

Quite accurate, only shoot groups at 20 and beyond or you start getting robin hoods, splitting arrows etc which gets expensive.

Bow shooting has a lot more to do with the shooter than the bow, unlike rifle shooting where the rifle will typically determine how good the groups are.

Things start getting a lot harder when you get past the 35 yard mark with a bow, i personally only shoot game at 30 and under but other, much more experienced shooters would take deer at 50 yards or even further.

Quote Originally Posted by sakkaranz View Post
    :

having never beat any animal to death with a stick let alone a red deer can anyone here recommend the minimum weight of said stick .. the minimum diameter and if the type of wood used would make a measurable difference ?? and will i be expecting a one hit kill ??cave:
    I think there is a legal minimum deer beating stick calibre, you'll have to check on that with DOC

Banned
    Deer beating stick minimum is .243 diameter, which in my view is just unethical. Might as well use a bloody .22

Outside of 40 metres they cant gaurantee anything. I have seen a goat shot straight through the heart at exactly 51 metres, a mighty fine shot and done with a longbow too.

If someone put a gun to my head and said you have to kill that deer over there at 50 metres - right now - do you know what are you going to use - the .22 or the bow? Well, do you punk?
    I would volunteer for the .22.
    and you can guarantee a kill form 22 out that far? well done champ.

i am by no means anti shooting deer with a 22 etc, i have done it and will continue to do it if the situation arises. I have also shot deer multiple goats and many other critters with the bow, have you?

To answer your question, i would choose the bow, i would take a lung shot and have a much larger margin for error and the likely hood of multiple shots presenting themselves, unlike with the 22.

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    Bow shooting has a lot more to do with the shooter than the bow, unlike rifle shooting where the rifle will typically determine how good the groups are.
    I would say that bow shooting has a lot to do with the shooter. More so than rifle shooting - yes i agree. But in practical rifle shooting it is almost never the rifle that determines how good the groups are - it is the shooter.

yeah should have worded it a bit different. I guess what im trying to say is that if i gave a complete newbie a rifle that was zeroed at 100yards and gave no instruction and said shoot that x at 100yards chances are they would get pretty close.
    If i gave them a bow chances are they wouldnt even be able to draw the bow and get a shot off, let alone get the arrow anywhere near the target

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    and you can guarantee a kill form 22 out that far? well done champ.

i am by no means anti shooting deer with a 22 etc, i have done it and will continue to do it if the situation arises. I have also shot deer multiple goats and many other critters with the bow, have you?

To answer your question, i would choose the bow, i would take a lung shot and have a much larger margin for error and the likely hood of multiple shots presenting themselves, unlike with the 22.
    Of course I can. So can you if you tried even just a little bit. Champ. And out to 75 metres, meanwhile, good luck with your stick and peice of string at 75.
    And yes, champ, I have done a lot with a recurve and a longbow.

Of course I can. So can you if you tried even just a little bit. Champ. And out to 75 metres, meanwhile, good luck with your stick and peice of string at 75.
    And yes, champ, I have done a lot with a recurve and a longbow.
    I have trouble taking anyone serious who tries to compare a .22lr and a 243.

I think you know that you are lying to yourself if you think you can hit a deer in the brain with every shot from a .22 and kill it everytime from that distance. I've mishit from closer distances on bigger calibres and hit perfect shots out to 550m but I'd never stand here and say I don't miss.

Try the compound bow mate, can shoot a lot further a lot more consistently!

at what point did i say i was going to shoot anything with a bow at 75???? that would be "unethical" in my opinion, because i no the limit of my ability. Many animals have been killed at 75 and beyond with a bow, but by much more skilled archers and better hunters than myself.

Banned
    You never did, Perazzi, neither did I. I said you can't, but that you can kill a deer reliably at 75 metres with a .22 magnum with head and top of the neck shots. What there to dispute?

Bavarian, the .243 is the minimum stick size for beating a deer to death with.

Jesus you guys are hard work

You can't Perazzi, but you can kill a deer reliably at 75 metres with a .22 magnum with head and top of the neck shots.

Bavarian, the .243 is the minimum stick size for beating a deer to death with.

Jesus you guys are hard work
    I'm going to buy you a beer next time I'm in NZ, I've always wanted to shake the hand of a bloke who doesn't miss