Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
Like Tree489Likes

Thread: 25-06 why hasn't it achieved fame and success in New Zealand?

After 21 pages I guess .25-06 has achieved sufficient interest, and rightly so. I have had three over the years and shot a hatful of deer with them.

If I was to have another it would be barreled and chambered for the 131 Blackjack bullets with fast enough twist to stabilise them.

For now I have moved on to .284 Win as an NZ all-rounder.
    takbok likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nor-west View Post
    Nah 257AI........ would like to AI my Savage .250 but can't find a reamer anywhere in N.Z.
    I remember that the 250 AI had a huge increase over the standard round - something like 25% which was the biggest increase Ackley had with any modern rimless case

There ya go. Obviously some of the recent "Ackley Improved" are not on the list. Keeping in mind that the recent AIs were obviously never developed by P O Ackley himself. That includes some on the list.

Ackley Improved Info.pdf

Banned
    Interesting numbers. Is it reasonable to just fire std loads to fireform and then neck size only for subsequent loads?

Ie, not using Ackley dies at all

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by Pushover View Post
    Interesting numbers. Is it reasonable to just fire std loads to fireform and then neck size only for subsequent loads?

Ie, not using Ackley dies at all
    Yep, I did that for years with my 257AI. Eventually though I really needed to bump the shoulder on my brass as bolt close was getting tight after about 8-10 firings.
    Pushover likes this.

True Ackley designs have a crossover point on the shoulder of the unfired std case that headspaces correctly with the Ackley chamber shoulder. The design minimises any risk of case stretch at the base (and possible separation) on firing. That's how Ackley designed them. The more modern versions that have got onto the Ackley bandwagon I cannot comment on.

@Mathias I have the same problem with my 6.5 Swede Ackley. Although I have dedicated Neck Sizing and Bullet Seating dies for my AI (modified 6.5x55 SM) after about 6 firings and they are getting tight. Unfortunately the FLSing die I have doesn't quite restore them to original. Will do something about the die one day, when I get roundtoit.
    Mathias and Pushover like this.

Banned
    Thanks for the experienced info guys. I think id be happy with 6 to 8 loadings anyway.

Gives some ideas to play with. Apart from the savage I particularly like the numbers on the 6.5 x 55 and 7 x 57

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    I remember that the 250 AI had a huge increase over the standard round - something like 25% which was the biggest increase Ackley had with any modern rimless case
    Greetings Moa Hunter,
    The huge increases in velocity were often accompanied by huge increases in pressure. Often the velocities were estimated (guessed) rather than chronographed so the actual results were much less. Huge increases were claimed for the .30-06AI but actual pressure tested loads showed minimal improvement.
    Greetings Pushover,
    I had a .30-06AI for a while, fire formed cases and just neck sized. Worked fine for my loads and did not get into tight case problems. Had I done so I would have tried firing a light load 35,000CUP or less to see if it produced a easy chambering case as it has done with my .308W.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Micky Duck and RugerM77 like this.

Bump because I can haha

Ok, I'll take that bait: somewhere back in this thread it was determined that the .257 Roberts or .257AI, either loaded with 115gr Berger or 115gr Nosler Ballistic Tips was the best 25-cal for deer in NZ, surpassing the 25-06 in lethality, and with a small but significant reduction in recoil and muzzle blast.
    Is my recollection incorrect ?

Why not? While we are on the subject, what about the A-Square wildcat, the 6.5-08 that became the 260 Remington? Almost the same performance in a short action... Yet there are only a handful of factory chambered rifles to be had, and factory ammo makes unicorn shit look plentiful.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    Ok, I'll take that bait: somewhere back in this thread it was determined that the .257 Roberts or .257AI, either loaded with 115gr Berger or 115gr Nosler Ballistic Tips was the best 25-cal for deer in NZ, surpassing the 25-06 in lethality, and with a small but significant reduction in recoil and muzzle blast.
    Is my recollection incorrect ?
    I reacon the 25-08 is better

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk
    Basenjiboy likes this.

The problem with all the 08-based cases is that there is an incorrect assumption that they should load and cycle nicely through a short action. But with the high BC bullets that are the norm nowadays, none of the rounds end up anywhere near 2.8" without the bullets needing to jump the grand canyon to reach the rifling. The 25-08 is no exception. You're better off instead using a medium length action and going with the somewhat longer 57mm cases for which these actions were designed — along with the longer, heavy-for-calibre bullets. Magazine length goes up from 72-73mm (short action) to 84mm (medium action) for only a 6mm increase in case length; that's 5-6mm more for seating the bullets out. @trooper90, are you happy now?
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    A case’s head stamp has never killed a deer.
    Such a wit.
    Micky Duck likes this.

put it in a break open and it matters not a hoot...... same with single fed...not an issue anymore..got video here with young Jamie Duley loading his bullpup style long range deer slayer by removing bolt and feeding it up again with round in place..
    its all swings n roundabouts.
    75/15/10 black powder matters