Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

Like Tree489Likes

Thread: 25-06 why hasn't it achieved fame and success in New Zealand?

.25s are more projectile sensitive than .270s.

25 projectiles below 100gns are mostly vermin pills. You have to be at 100 or above for medium and large game.

With .270 it’s difficult to buy ammo or pills lighter than copper cup 130s which st what gave the caliber it’s great name as a medium / larger game cartridge.

I'm amazed this thread is going 8 years later!

And how much my view on this thread has changed so radically!

Hahaha

Bumped into this the other day.....

https://ronspomeroutdoors.com/blog/2...HO4xyK9TzYkQ7g

I must say I don't see the point of the rivalry that seems to go on [I think it's a small calibre syndrome thing of having to prove that your guns big enough??] Plus people can generate any graph/table or talk bullshit to prove their point.
    Anyway they both do the job. I think if you have a nicely set up rifle in either calibre you'll love it every time you get to pull the trigger.
    I like mine it works for me and the hunting I do.
    nor-west, HUNTY, 308 and 1 others like this.

I’ve never used one but they seemed to have a bit of following in the late ‘90s. “Flat shooting”, “low recoil”, and “reliable performance” on medium sized game seemed to be the descriptions of the converted. I remember one guy describing it as the perfect chamois caliber and superior to a 243 in this role. I don’t doubt what was said by those fans of the cartridge. I imagine it was and still is a pretty effective round for the average hunter who isn’t particularly interested in ballistics, and rarely shoots anything beyond 250yd. In terms of recoil, I’m guessing a lot of the rifles back then in that caliber were wood/blue items with longish barrels (at least 24”); combine that with a long action and you’ve got a reasonably heavy rifle, hence the “low recoil” catchcry. But in the current era of light, efficient, short barrelled, suppressed, short action rifles flinging high BC pills at moderate velocities; the 25/06 resembles a bit of an unwieldy barrel burning dinosaur. Still, I’d take one over a 270. Not for any rational reason, just fuckin hate 270’s

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    If you do the clickety dialing thing it probably doesn't really matter a damn what cartridge you choose, within reason. People that don't do that will never know the difference. Just get a damn rifle and go hunting. These threads make my head hurt.
    So true. What makes me laugh is all the press going to 260, 6.5 PRC, Needmore and Grendell. While the 25-06 is run down as a yesterday calibre. 270 is the same. The only people that hate either are generally hair splitters and non hunters. Its all just advertising and people splitting hairs because to actually go for a hunt instead of talking about it would involve effort. One of the other good examples was people running down the 7x57 as underpowered then everyone jumping on the 7-08 bandwagon. Us blokes are the worst kind of retail addicts really. We are like kids in a toy shop. Just go hunting folks and if the distance is a bit far, here's a radical thought........... stalk closer!!!!

I shot my first ever chamois in late 80s with one at a hair over 500 yards (rifle was borrowed from the chap I was hunting with as my 270 / burris 4 power scope was not up to it )................................and I have it on video to prove it. No fancy reticules either just hold over, 2 ft was the call and spot on. Not long after that I slold the 270
    I don't look at the video much as I don't want to be reminded I was once a lot thinner !!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntfisheat View Post
    If you had a choice between a 7/08 and a 25/06 at the same price, in the same rifle, and you chose the 25/06, the first thing you should do is shoot yourself with your new rifle. Just be VERY careful where you place the shot.
    I am near ChCh, would you like to borrow my 25 06 and compare it to your 7/08 Shooting hares at 300 mtrs and deer in the head at 250m. 2506 is just very easy to hit with
    Micky Duck, Buzo, takbok and 1 others like this.

If we all got told we could only hunt with a 243 calibre we would grumble and then get on with it. We would select our bullet carefully and hunt and shoot according to the calibres limitations. It is how we should view any rifle we use really don't you think? Calibre is largely irrelevant.
    Micky Duck and Phil_H like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock river arms hunter View Post
    I'm amazed this thread is going 8 years later!

And how much my view on this thread has changed so radically!

Hahaha
    @Rock river arms hunter Please do tell ?
    And assuming you have decided on the unsuitability of this cartridge - and perhaps the 25-cal overall - for reds, then what in your view is the required minimum please, and why ?

What improvement contributes the most in your opinion in moving from the 25-06 to your current minimum?
    Cross-sectional area?
    Bullet weight (over the max in 25 of 120gr)?
    MV (unlikely to be this, the 25-06 is pretty nippy)?
    Twist rate (being limited to 1:10) ?
    Last edited by Puffin; 07-03-2020 at 01:55 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntfisheat View Post
    And yet has harder, faster, recoil, less bullet weight variance, burns more powder, barks more and is still way less popular, and why? Because it just doesn't make sense.
    And shooting hares at 300 is no measure of a rifles ability. If you don't have that capability, you need more proper practice. Shooting half grown rabbits at 300 is a challenge. Shooting deer in the head at 250 neither; in fact, that's just questionable ethics, in my opinion. One flick of the head, one miniscule movement and you've got a deer with a missing jaw or nose, dead, eventually, and in agony.
    Well the offer is on the table - borrow it and see. Try it on Wallaby's, try it on Chams which is what I have it for. It will knock things down better than the 7m08, not as well as a 270. But … it is a calibre that is very very easy to hit with. The recoil impulse is such that I can see the hit. They are mild recoil like a 243

I have a poohseventy so are biased......I can down load the old girl with 110grn loads to pretty much duplicate it....or slip in a 170grn and kick heels of the 30/06 .
    130-140-150grn loads all do the bizo...mono110s are a bit of a game changer in poohseventy takes the recoil right down......cant see why a heavyish mono in 25/06 wont up its game no end.
    GSP HUNTER likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    @Rock river arms hunter Please do tell ?
    And assuming you have decided on the unsuitability of this cartridge - and perhaps the 25-cal overall - for reds, then what in your view is the required minimum please, and why ?

What improvement contributes the most in your opinion in moving from the 25-06 to your current minimum?
    Cross-sectional area?
    Bullet weight (over the max in 25 of 120gr)?
    MV (unlikely to be this, the 25-06 is pretty nippy)?
    Twist rate (being limited to 1:10) ?
    In simple terms my whole approach to rifles.

I like shorter barrels nowadays hence my love of the 223 and 308s. It's just a preference.

I certainly won't knock its hit down power as anyone has seen one knows how effective they can be!

I dont knock the 25 cal at all and would love a 25-06 however for the ammo available and the projectile selection I find the old 308 or 7mm bores better suited for me. Its just a case I couldn't justify one to wifey.

In the past i was hunting more private land but now i hunt mostly public and at that its half bush half clearings.

silly question....was there a 25/08 made??? it would sit between .243 and .260 would it not??

Yes the 25 Souper, very popular in the states for a couple of decades

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    silly question....was there a 25/08 made??? it would sit between .243 and .260 would it not??
    25Souper
    https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Kno...25+Souper.html
    Micky Duck likes this.