Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Like Tree489Likes

Thread: 25-06 why hasn't it achieved fame and success in New Zealand?

Heres why.

Speaking from experience as a newbie shooter not long ago.

How high is your projectile at 100y? How far away is that deer/tahr/goat

Don't consult your drop charts, and experienced shooters shut it.

I bet you don't know.

Now go for a neck shot, because the forums (not this one ) told you a 223 is perfect for deer, but only in heavy projectiles.

Remember, your a newbie, so you don't have a rangefinder on you.

How far was that deer? Looks like about 200m. No need to get the rangefinder out, your mate is already looking behind his scope.

Your sighted in for 250y, should be mint if you hold a little low. Or is it high?

It must be low, how low do I hold? Oh ill just aim for the base of the neck.

Bang.

Missed, deer gone. Get rangefinder out, it was actually a large bodied hind at 350y.

You just missed with your .223 by 15 inches.

If it was a small one, at 180y, but you thought it was 250y, and you held dead on, youd miss with a factory loaded 308 by 100mm over the neck.

If it was a deer at 100y, sweet, close as, shoot it between the eyes! Hold dead on, BOOM! oh shit missed again.

For those of you that have never missed a shot in your life, fine, but for begginers, sight in at 100m, stalk in as close as possible, if you cant get closer than 250y, use a rangefinder, and take a well estimated shot.

My opinion, but I feel I am qualified enough as a new shooter to say I have been given some horrible advice at times.

Since you asked!

Chris

AB Precision
    Quote Originally Posted by crnkin View Post
    Heres why.

I bet you don't know.

Now go for a neck shot, because the forums (not this one ) told you a 223 is perfect for deer, but only in heavy projectiles.

How far was that deer? Looks like about 200m. No need to get the rangefinder out, your mate is already looking behind his scope.

Your sighted in for 250y, should be mint if you hold a little low. Or is it high?

Bang.

Missed, deer gone. Get rangefinder out, it was actually a large bodied hind at 350y.

If it was a small one, at 180y, but you thought it was 250y, and you held dead on, youd miss with a factory loaded 308 by 100mm over the neck.

If it was a deer at 100y, sweet, close as, shoot it between the eyes! Hold dead on, BOOM! oh shit missed again.

For those of you that have never missed a shot in your life, fine, but for begginers, sight in at 100m, stalk in as close as possible, if you cant get closer than 250y, use a rangefinder, and take a well estimated shot.

My opinion, but I feel I am qualified enough as a new shooter to say I have been given some horrible advice at times.

Since you asked!

Chris
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......................................

200m zero, dont hold over just point at shoulder an boom...............best advice, animal on the deck fast a simple
    everyones first an most deer will be within that or 300 tops

R93
    My .223 zeroed @ 200yrds wich is 1.3 ' high at 100yrds with 55gr pills is only 5-6' low at 300yrds no where near 15'
    You are confusing yourself mate. I rarely body shoot with the .223 and would never attempt it at 300+ knowing if put in the right place it will still kill.
    A 25-06 with 100gr pills is almost identical to a .223 to 300.
    Last edited by R93; 30-04-2012 at 09:50 PM.

No 25.06 ever deserved 5 pages
    baldbob, Wildman, Mike H and 4 others like this.

Heres why.

I bet you don't know.

Bang.

Since you asked!

Chris
    Your a laugh!

for a start sighting in at 100m unless your bush stalking is pointless,sighting in 200m makes the best use of you calibres trajectory......

secondly its shooting 1 1/2 " high at 100, dead on at 200m and as i shoulder shoot i know for a fact that my bullet will be 1" lower than the reticle drop point for 300m because its calibrated for either 100gr or 120's....

thirdly I never go anywhere without my range finder,always around my neck ready to use...

also a 223 on fallow is widely accepted as being completely ethical, add to that equation a pimped out AR and its more than ethical...

Are you normally always that condescending and arrogant towards people?

Impure Lead Flinger
    He still hasnt quite realised the "ONE" deer hes shot at, he missed cos of "BUCKFEVER" not cos he was sighted at 250yd instead of 100m.. But it was still good enough to "CLAIM".. Brown was running.... NOT DOWN lol
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post

B. "1" lower than the reticle drop point for 300m because its calibrated for either 100gr or 120's...."

Which is it? Surely the 120s and 100s dont shoot to the same point? And which 100s and 120s is it calibrated for? Did you calibrate it?
    You beat me to that one, It's either calibrated for a particular load or it's not set up at all
    And to get best use out of a calibre you want to set it up for maximum point blank range, which may or may not be 200m and varies for each load , speed . . . .
    eg: my .243 is sighted in for 230m with a PBR of 275m (its a slow load)

yes thats exactly what I mean, most american reticles are set up for fast and slow loads, i.e in the burris ff2 bal plex the 7mm rem mag has a 140gr or a 175 grain and as such the sight in difference is different..

hahaha hostility?is that how your taking it?

Heres why.

I bet you don't know.

Bang.

Since you asked!

Chris
    Chris I think you're overcomplicating things (and I think your calculations are a little off). Stick with zeroing for 200m, then you can take anything from 0 out to a good 300, possibly 400 without any correction when aiming for the boiler room. Even if you aim for the ear, the bullet will at worst drop into the neck.

Bang on at 200m. Even in the bush it'll be fine, the bullet doesn't go that high. Just don't try to correct for it if you don't need to I'm guilty of that from time to time.

If you're concerned about not being able to deliver a kill shot on the animal you shouldn't be shooting at it.

This is getting off topic. 25-06, raadaa raadaa raadaa, bang, flop, it'll do the job just like anything else and if you like it,good for you, if not, shoot what you shoot.

Heres why.

I bet you don't know.

Bang.

Since you asked!

Chris

Chris I hate to say it but you were given great advice for a novice and used it terribly.
    Very very conservatively I would say I have personally shot well over 200 deer using the sight in at 250y
    I like neck shots but only when looking straight at me or away, gives you around 30" of elevation error.
    However you are much better to aim for the big bit(engine room) especially a novice.
    Dont shoot for the head. just dont there is no point and its too easy to blow a jaw/face off.
    Il say again dont shoot for the head.
    Iv only had a range finder for about 3 years and the above system worked well for me.
    jakewire and 308 like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Squashed like a Flea
    G'Day Fella's,

Tahr, you may be disturbed to know that this thread, is now up to 6 Pages!

In the distant past when I was more wild and woolly, I used to shoot lots of 87 and 90 grn bullets thru my .25-06.
    These were smokin along at 3590fps.
    After a while I noticed that the bore in front of the chamber, was getting a bit rough and the rifling was disappearing.
    So to try and prolong this factory barrel a bit longer, I went to 100grn bullets (Nosler B/tip and Barnes X) at ? fps.
    This Rem 700, would still shoot these into 1/2" to 5/8" 3 shot groups and the critters kept fallin over so.........
    So a word of advice, Speed Kills both Critters and Barrels!

Doh!
    Homer

Banned
    You guys do make hunting a technical experience. A .25/06 is an excellent hunting cartridge for deer. I have more drop in the tracks kills with a .25/06 (and the .243) than any other. A .25/06 with 115 or 117grains bullets, either interlocks or SST's is a stone cold killer on deer, and coupled with light recoil, about the same as a 6.5x55, is a very friendly rifle to shoot.
    The .25/06 Remington is one of the perfect deer rifles for New Zealand.
    AS for velocity in a short 20 inch barrel; who is a Girl Guide here and cant carry a 24 inch barrelled rifle? I never did understand what the loss two or four inches of barrel was suppossed to achieve in the short rifle fad nowadays. I have had 20 inch barreled rifles and even an 18 and a 17 inch and it never made that much difference to me to be perfectly honest.
    (None of this need concern a Long Range Shooter, who I sort of equate with artillerymen rather than hunters. I also imagine them wearing berets, I am not sure why. So they can recognise each other I suppose.)

As for why is hasn't caught on so much, I can only hazard a guess that it has not simply because its reletively new, only a factory round since 1969, and as such doesnt have much of a track record, plus, compared to new rounds like the 7mm08 and so forth, I just dont think they pushed the round hard marketing wise in NZ. I'm just guessing but I bet they didn't really offer it much to NZ shooters through the seventies, although I would have to go back through the old catalogues to check that out. I mean it took us long enough to get push button telephones forget about a new cartridge.
    Last edited by Carlsen Highway; 05-07-2012 at 10:01 PM.

I'm casting my mind back to the eighty's when I first considered a 25-06 the main reason it was failing to take hold was a lack of available rifles and the cost of factory ammo. Remington was the only factory ammo available, and it was twice the price of their other offerings at the time. Come to think of it the same thing was holding back to 7-08 later on. I'm not sure if Remington had some kind of exclusive rights to manufacture these two rounds, but it seemed that way. They also managed to retard sales of the 444 Marlin by overpricing that round as well. Just for the record I did use a 25-06. (and later a 7-08) and found it ok for all NZ game. I remember when searching for reloading data that it was pretty much consigned to a varmint round in the USA, with plains antelope included. Probably about the right use for this round........

The short of it is that the 270win 130 gr. Is far superior and commonly available. Thats it. The end,
    Pointer likes this.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by bill f View Post
    The short of it is that the 270win 130 gr. Is far superior and commonly available. Thats it. The end,
    That only applies to the sometimes painfully slow factory loads, (the Hornady Superformance 117 SST load may be an exception) to a handloader with experience and a proper length barrel, it is easy to comfortably go past the .270 130gn loads. Nearly 40yrs hunting critters of varying types, and I keep coming back to my 2506(s). And I have used everything from .22lr to 340Wby and 338Lap. We all have our own preferences, .270 is yours, but you can't help that, Mericans are big on therapy, would you like some?
    geezejonesy and 308 like this.