Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
Like Tree489Likes

Thread: 25-06 why hasn't it achieved fame and success in New Zealand?

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Hah, I’m sure some people could find an argument in anything. It’s well proven on here.
    bullshit

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    bullshit
    Nice. The younger generation than me would say “I saw what you did there”.
    Micky Duck and Phil_H like this.

A case’s head stamp has never killed a deer.
    Micky Duck likes this.

I still can't believe this thread is going

The irony being I haven't owned a 25-06 for years.

I find myself grabbing the trusty 308 more often than not. However if funds allowed and I didn't love my 284win then I'd buy a 25-06 again in a heartbeat.

I've come to the conclusion it doesn't matter what you use , if you're confident and competent with it and it works.... who really cares? Is a deer going to tell you the difference between a 25-06 and a 270 at a given range? I would think not in the real world sense ��

I cut my teeth on a 2506 and now with most of my hunting being fallow if I could afford it I'd go back to 1 in a heart beat

Banned
    Never shot one. Been told they kill like lightening at moderate ranges. I think like the 270, their day in the sun was when dially scopes were a rarity and long MPBR had its merits.
    The high bc 6.5 and 7mm bullets start climbing away from the 2506 after ~400m in terms of wind drift and energy on target in similar and smaller cartridges.

All a moot point for me where 200m is a long shot where I employ a range of cartridges including shortly a 250savage

Banned
    The single biggest historical problem with 2506 has been a lack of projectiles that can perform at high muzzle velocity and also at range. A muzzle velocity of 3300 -3400 and 100 metre shots plays havoc with non bonded projectiles.
    Although based on an 06 case the 2506 has a totally different recoil impulse compared to a 270 and is very easy to shoot accurately.
    Meat damage is low. I average 2 litres of shot trim per carcass with a 2506. I dont think paper figures do it justice.
    davhope, csmiffy and Pushover like this.

Greetings All,
    To Rock river arms hunter you must be amazed at the number of new wonder cartridges, some excellent, that have appeared since your opening post almost 9 years ago. Some of which have already sunk without trace. Performance and popularity are clearly unrelated. Sometimes a new cartridge captures the shooting publics notice and it's popularity sky rockets as has happened with the 6.5 Creedmoor. Norma factory loads for the 6.5 x 55 offered similar performance to the Creedmoor decades ago but is often ignored today (not by me though). Pushover you are to be congratulated on your choice of the .250 Savage, the great great grand daddy of the Creedmoor. I would be interested to know more about your rifle.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Pushover likes this.

Banned
    Hi Mac, I have 2. Both well used 50s rifles. 1is an FN Mauser and the other a savage99.

Being 14twist I've loaded up some 90gr hpbt though haven't shot them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Pushover View Post
    Hi Mac, I have 2. Both well used 50s rifles. 1is an FN Mauser and the other a savage99.

Being 14twist I've loaded up some 90gr hpbt though haven't shot them yet.
    Greetings Pushover,
    Thanks for that. I half remembered a post on your rifles but was too lazy to go back and find it. Will do that now. Accommodating that slow twist will be an interesting exercise. Please keep us informed. I think in over 50 years of wandering in the bush I have come across just one hunter carrying a .250 Savage and it was built on a Remington 600 action. That 99 will draw some attention.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Pushover likes this.

About a year ago I did load development for a mate's 250-3000 in a Ruger Mk1 FW.
    100 gr Partitions at 2800 fps using 2206H powder.
    Pleasant to shoot and accurate despite the FW Rugers not always being the best.
    Near to the ADI max but no pressure signs.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    About a year ago I did load development for a mate's 250-3000 in a Ruger Mk1 FW.
    100 gr Partitions at 2800 fps using 2206H powder.
    Pleasant to shoot and accurate despite the FW Rugers not always being the best.
    Near to the ADI max but no pressure signs.
    @zimmer silly question, but how did the partitions go out of it? Shoot any deer with it?

Banned
    Yeah, that would be a 10 twist. I'm going to check the accuracy potential with a known bullet before finding a short 100gr that shoots acceptably

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    @zimmer silly question, but how did the partitions go out of it? Shoot any deer with it?
    Mate has yet to try it on game. At the same time I did loads for him in 7mm08 and 7x57 (also a Ruger International FW) so in terms of trying the 250 loads on game the rifle is a bit down the selection pile. Also I don't think the Rugers will get treated to a beat em up rough hunt (mm safe queens springs to mind). His normal calibre of choice for a long time has been the 6.5x55, nothing flash, ex military with better stock. And I know he has always used partitions wherever possible. He's also well into projectile recovery from shot animals and then assessing the effectiveness.

The Partitions are expensive of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Pushover View Post
    Yeah, that would be a 10 twist. I'm going to check the accuracy potential with a known bullet before finding a short 100gr that shoots acceptably
    Greetings Pushover,
    By chance I was reading one of the old issues of Handloader last night and spotted an article by John Barsness on loading the Savage cartridges. He suggested that the Hornady 75 grain V-MAX, 100 grain spitzer flat base and 117 grain round nose are worth trying. He also cautioned that some 99 250 Savage rifles twists vary either side of 14" and may not stabilise anything longer than the 87 grain Hornady or Speer spitzer flat base. The 90 grain HPBT projectiles may or may not stabilise, measuring the twist in each rifle could help. Unfortunately Hornady seems to have dropped both the 87 and 100 grain projectiles. The Hodgdon/ADI data shows over 2,900 fps with AR2209 and the 100 grain projectiles so the cartridge is no slug. Happy experimenting.
    Regards Grandpamac.