Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

Like Tree489Likes

Thread: 25-06 why hasn't it achieved fame and success in New Zealand?

Banned
    Yep, I tend to run lighter projectiles in my rifles with regular non-dial scopes. Sighted in 2inches high at 100 the trajectory is good from 0 to a small hold at 350.
    260rem 120gr@2950 and 8 x 57 150gr@3050. The 25-06 would work awesome this way.
    takbok and rewa like this.

Take this to the extreme limit. I have 75gr and 85gr Barnes-X in .257 for anyone interested.
    Deer bullets at an MV of 3800 ft/sec from a 25-06.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    Take this to the extreme limit. I have 75gr and 85gr Barnes-X in .257 for anyone interested.
    Rifling is hugely over rated.
    outlander likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
    Hell yeah, it's great. Has accounted for every deer species in NZ apart from Sambar, Rusa and Waps. Don't think I will ever get rid of it.
    so has my poohseventy....

oh and that cheap .25/06 isnt for sale anymore....it will be living in MY guncabinet for awhile......sort of wondering what will happen if it mates with my .270 what we will get as progony??? a 6.5/06 perhaps???
    Last edited by Micky Duck; 10-03-2020 at 09:31 PM.
    nor-west and stevodog like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    What will the 85gr do in the 257W, W760 should work?

Same. No meaningful increase for the lighter bullets over the 25-06. Starting from 60gr I'd say.

1000 rounds at 3 bullets to sight in and one per deer is a lifetimes hunting......
    you DONT HAVE TO load things right up to envelope bending scorching speeds.....Im pretty sure we will be able to duplicate a EBRG type loading and have room to spare....should last much longer and be eaiser on all concerned....... never quite been able to work out why folk try to cram as much powder as possible into tiny case to try to get the velocity you can get with ease from a bigger case with less pressure......if you want weatherby magnum preformance...buy a weatherby magnum.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntfisheat View Post
    Don't have to be projectile specific. Most 25/06 hunters don't reload and a typical weight is round 110. The typical weight in 7/08 is 140, although the SST's i use are 139g. Comparing those commonly used rounds shows the benefit of the 7mm round.
    You put up about this vs that, so prove your argument: what is your claim is based on, name the data you used. Unless of course it's just fairy dust........I'm patient, will give you time to go look some up......

Funnily enough, I just happen to know a whole bunch of actual hunters with 25/06 history,( and we all reload ) actually killing animals with them, oddly despite your being a subject matter expert on this subject, they (and I, with around 40yrs of it on and off) don't use the 110 anything.

Along with your data, please include at least a rough kill count witnessed by you with your chosen 25/06 projectile and your chosen 7mm08 projectile. Include range, starting velocity and shot placement so I can begin to understand just how the 7mm08 is so superior to 25/06.

Perhaps I could help you there.....

Simple really. They made a 25/303.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by outlander View Post
    Simple really. They made a 25/303.
    A 25/303 imp would be interesting.
    outlander and csmiffy like this.

A 25.06 will put a 100 grain partition through a camel shoulders, Anyone who thinks a 25.06 will bounce off a Red Stag needs to get behind one and see it work in the field not rely on foot pound/energy , ballistics or bullet weight tables.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by nor-west View Post
    A 25.06 will put a 100 grain partition through a camel shoulders, Anyone who thinks a 25.06 will bounce off a Red Stag needs to get behind one and see it work in the field not rely on foot pound/energy , ballistics or bullet weight tables.
    It was a 100 grain Partition that Roy Weatherby used to kill his Cape Buff, that, is about as big a test as there is for any bullet/cartridge combination.

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    A 25/303 imp would be interesting.
    There was a guy called epps in canada that did that I think. He did the 303 as well as a 6mm, 25, 6.5, 8mm, 338 and 358.
    Internet suggest it was the same as a 257 AI
    257weatherby likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntfisheat View Post
    Don't have to be projectile specific. Most 25/06 hunters don't reload and a typical weight is round 110. The typical weight in 7/08 is 140, although the SST's i use are 139g. Comparing those commonly used rounds shows the benefit of the 7mm round.
    Hey I think you're starting to scrape the barrel a bit to defend yourself, if your not into 25-06 [and that's totally fine!] maybe you're best to go and start your own thread... the science and success of the great 708?? etc.
    Your negativity is kind of tainting this interesting and informative thread.

most 25/06 users dont reload.....cough splutter...say WHAT????? I suppose most .22 / 243 users dont either????
    6.5x55mm yeah the vast majority of users buy off the shelf too.......cause its just soo good using a rifle at way below its best aye........
    folk reload for many reasons.....the main ones are
    #1 to try and save a few $$$
    #2 to make taylor made loads that suit rifle better than off the shelf stuff
    #3 to make loads different from off the shelf stuff...hotter,slower,heavier or lighter
    #4 same reason as my dog licks its bits.....because they can
    257weatherby and Husky1600 like this.