Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: Dealing with a flinch

you said the flinch has returned-did you notice it returned after something happened eg missed an animal you usually would have got?sometimes you can be eager to right the wrong and start forcing the shot causing a bad technique to creep.also do you anticipate the squeeze or do you let the shot surprise you by slowly squeezing?

Lots of great advice in the thread that im going to try out.
    I get a lot of flinching when sighting in at the range so end up with shit groups, but no flinch when the adrenaline is surging as an animal is in front of me. For me it is the recoil and anticipation and not so much the noise.
    Micky Duck and Cordite like this.

the noise is PART of the "thing" that your subconsious wants to avoid...ear plugs AND earmuffs makes huge difference,it seems to make even stout recoil diminish .
    I literally hated sighting in,even now I avoid it when possible....fitting suppressors was a real game changer for me.
    JessicaChen and Cordite like this.

Wear a rucksack when you shoot, the padded strap helps.

Shoot with relaxed face, both eyes open. One eye shut is a grimace halfway to a flinch.
    Nathan F, Mintie and Yesmate like this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by Yesmate View Post
    you said the flinch has returned-did you notice it returned after something happened eg missed an animal you usually would have got?sometimes you can be eager to right the wrong and start forcing the shot causing a bad technique to creep.also do you anticipate the squeeze or do you let the shot surprise you by slowly squeezing?
    No it just insidiously worked it’s way back in over a period of time. I had it badly 15 years ago. At that time my go too was a 7mmrum as I was fascinated with long range applications. It wasn’t even the recoil as it was minimal to be fair. It was the percussion of the shot. I only used a muzzle brake so you can imagine. I missed something like 8 deer on the trot before addressing the problem. Same this time round albeit I recognised the issue a lot earlier. For me being aware and conscious of the issue is the battle. I shot a stag on Friday at 220 yds in rapidly fading light with a piss poor rest so was pretty happy.
    Micky Duck likes this.

get a gun that dosent hurt you when you fire it.

limbsaver + 243 + suppressor in any weight it wont hurt you. I run a kimber montana(very light) and dislike recoil
    Micky Duck and Cordite like this.

also get someone to watch you shoot and call you a bitch if you flinch

that gets rid of them real quick

hah look at that little bitch, worried about a little recoil ect.....

just gotta work thru them and it might as well be funny
    silentscope, Cordite and RV1 like this.

better still,get your mate to load rifle for you and hand it to you to shoot....and continue to do so...at some random point they will slip you a micky....and load fired cartridge...if you flinch...it will stick out like dogs balls,Ive seen fellas yank trigger and the muzzle sweep close to a foot sideways...... and the resulting "oh fcuk did I do that" is priceless and VERY helpful....... you realise what you are doing...and feel like a dork so stop doing it.