Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree205Likes

Thread: Forum shooting challenge: The under 500 500

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    More than half the benefit in an exercise like this is to prove (to ones self at least) that the latest super duper rifle is NOT required to shoot game out past reasonable distances (my personal limit is about 350M on game).
    Based on the responses, I think the general sentiment is that you have to do this challenge using a secondhand gun. I have no doubt that one could score a "good enough" hunting gun secondhand. The problem, just as with buying a secondhand car, is that you just don't know what the gun has gone through and if it is accurate. People tend to sell off the less accurate guns in their collection when they down size or need funds for to new toys.

Anyway, this topic is brilliant, it has now generated so much interest. I humbly await for participants proving me being too pessimistic with their plethora of $500 guns that does 1/4 MOA at 100m and 2 MOA at 500m.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Banned
    I'm challenging Terminator products

Come on @Kiwi Greg you can spend as much as you like on handloading

I apologize if I bankrupt the company in the pursuit of 22 points

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultimitsu View Post
    Based on the responses, I think the general sentiment is that you have to do this challenge using a secondhand gun. I have no doubt that one could score a "good enough" hunting gun secondhand. The problem, just as with buying a secondhand car, is that you just don't know what the gun has gone through and if it is accurate. People tend to sell off the less accurate guns in their collection when they down size or need funds for to new toys.

Anyway, this topic is brilliant, it has now generated so much interest. I humbly await for participants proving me being too pessimistic with their plethora of $500 guns that does 1/4 MOA at 100m and 2 MOA at 500m.
    A score of 5 would be respectable = 1.5" @ 100m and the 100m and 200m target. 8 would be a good score if you made the 300m target as well. With handloading and home accurizing and a bit of good old kiwi ingenuity, the top score will be higher.

A full score of 22 is entirely possible but the 5 shot group is what will make it nearly impossible. It is actually less than MOA.

A score of 20 will be like a top score in golf. 22 is like hole in one.

Most of these guns shoot like arse but they can be made to shoot. It is just that the top guys would never bother, right @7mmsaum ?

Thus, the challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Note is says "if sold at all" in brackets. The idea came form someone saying it cost X dollars to shoot X meters. Lets see if it is true.

I had one of these too, shot very well with barnaul and terrible with everything else. Something about mill spec ammo. It would work well.
    I haven't gotten around to using any yet. I use Belmont. But may as well give it ago now that I've acquired some sand bags as a proper rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimitsu View Post
    Sounds great, I am, and others might well be too, interested in how your rifle fare in this challenge.
    I will give it a go. I don't have anywhere to shoot to 500 though apart from Clevedon range.

Greg won't be able to cope with not getting 22 points

Tussock likes this.
    If my work annoys me, I cull them

Caretaker
    A score of 5 would be respectable = 1.5" @ 100m and the 100m and 200m target. 8 would be a good score if you made the 300m target as well. With handloading and home accurizing and a bit of good old kiwi ingenuity, the top score will be higher.

A full score of 22 is entirely possible but the 5 shot group is what will make it nearly impossible. It is actually less than MOA.

A score of 20 will be like a top score in golf. 22 is like hole in one.

Most of these guns shoot like arse but they can be made to shoot. It is just that the top guys would never bother, right @7mmsaum ?

Thus, the challenge

What the hang are you roping me into ?

I’m buying what ? And shooting what ?

Can I use a Sako ?
    Tussock likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Im going to attempt it on $300. Just need to find a suitable action.
    Mintie and Tussock like this.

More points for open sights ?
    rewa likes this.
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

I'd bet an Omark M44 with double aperature sights and anything other than really flogged out barrel will score high teens at the very least in this challenge as long as there is a reasonable shooter behind it. And you can usually find one for $350-450.

As I read it a $500 rifle including the scope is a pretty big ask for the task described

How about a rifle and scope bought for that price in 1974?
    Tommy and rewa like this.

Here is the challenge. You must post here the following.

The purchase of a scope and rifle combination for less than $500
    maybe the emphasis should be on purchase.....
    i mean what say you had a scoped tackdriver handed down to you .....you could spend $499 on i dunno fluffy dice.
    e.g . i have an 8mm that cost me nothing so i could put a half decent scope on it and still come in under budget but thats not fair
    veitnamcam likes this.

Sorry Dundee your gun is worth much more than $500.00 so you’re out.
    Dundee likes this.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    What the hang are you roping me into ?

I’m buying what ? And shooting what ?

Can I use a Sako ?
    You can use a Sako if you can get one for less than $500 with optics Ask my wife. I am literally sitting here laughing as I picture you and @Kiwi Greg looking down the barrel of a $400 rifle. Greg might throw up in his mouth a bit and need to go and lie in a pile of 32" premium grade truck axles recover

This is the idea though, so I hope you guys have a go. Get the guys with experience to do what the newbies have to. If it goes well there should be a pile of respectable rifles for all those guys looking for their first bang stick.

All going well it will be a list of tricks to teach old dogs new tricks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    As I read it a $500 rifle including the scope is a pretty big ask for the task described
    This is because, as @Rich007 stated, you can only imagine 22 points I would say the record holder will sit in the mid to low teens for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by nor-west View Post
    How about a rifle and scope bought for that price in 1974?
    Can't see why not, but if its obviously too flash we will take the piss. I'm curious to know what $500 bought you in 1974?
    @scotty has a point.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    maybe the emphasis should be on purchase.....
    i mean what say you had a scoped tackdriver handed down to you .....you could spend $499 on i dunno fluffy dice.
    e.g . i have an 8mm that cost me nothing so i could put a half decent scope on it and still come in under budget but thats not fair

In 1978 I bought my first centrefire, a Tikka M55 in 308. With a Nikko Sterling Gold Crown 2.5x I had change from $400. Shot lights out even compared with the best factory sporters money can buy now. Wish I'd kept it.

Might change my mind (re the M70 6.5x55) and see if I can use the rifle I bought recently for my son - a Savage 223 with 1:9 barrel, its a blued synthetic and cost me $400. Fairly ugly but handy enough and it shoots pretty good, trigger is decent too. Might have to rescope it as it has a cheapy Minox on it, were they called a ZA ?? But it was $180 as I recall

I've seen these Savage/Stevens rifles embarrass a hell of a lot of the fancy pants/gay boy stuff on range shoots and they work just fine for hunting.
    rewa likes this.