Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree205Likes

Thread: Forum shooting challenge: The under 500 500

Might be able to find something for this in this section even at nz dollar rates
    https://auctions.holtsauctioneers.co...=17&index=view

Thinks this might do the trick https://auctions.holtsauctioneers.co...5877&saletype=
    Just need to buy it for £80.00
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Right where do we get started? I have 200 yard and 500 yard set up on farm? Guess we going to need a forum member as a witness?
    Dan88 and rewa like this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    You can use a Sako if you can get one for less than $500 with optics Ask my wife. I am literally sitting here laughing as I picture you and @Kiwi Greg looking down the barrel of a $400 rifle. Greg might throw up in his mouth a bit and need to go and lie in a pile of 32" premium grade truck axles recover

This is the idea though, so I hope you guys have a go. Get the guys with experience to do what the newbies have to. If it goes well there should be a pile of respectable rifles for all those guys looking for their first bang stick.

All going well it will be a list of tricks to teach old dogs new tricks.

This is because, as @Rich007 stated, you can only imagine 22 points I would say the record holder will sit in the mid to low teens for a while.

Can't see why not, but if its obviously too flash we will take the piss. I'm curious to know what $500 bought you in 1974?
    @scotty has a point.
    Sako 270 finnbear with a 2-7 Leupold scope 2nd hand obviously also a BSA 308 with 2-7 Kahles also not new but could and still shoot shoot very well. Probably a couple of grand for either now so wouldn't be fair really.
    Tussock and dannyb like this.

I'm keen - got a Tikka that I bought back in 1976, $415 with scope. Or a Husky 8x57 that I bought recently that shoots amazingly well with an old Kahles 4x I had in the cupboard for a few years. Or a Husky 30.06 that I could fit an Outdoor optics scope that came as part of a deal. Or a Rem 788 in 22.250, with a red dot that I've swapped out for another scope from the cupboard. somebody point me in the right direction and I'll give it an honest attempt .
    nor-west and Tussock like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    Right where do we get started? I have 200 yard and 500 yard set up on farm? Guess we going to need a forum member as a witness?
    Note this is an honor based exercise. If you must cheat, you will live and shame and know yourself to be ergi (unmanned) and forfeit any chance of entering Valhalla. If found out a glove will be nailed to the door of the nearest public hall with your name written on it so that all will know that your word is of no value. The knowledge that you deceived your fellow forum members will eat at you night and day and you will be without sleep. Food will lose its flavor. Women will shun you. Children will cry in your presence. The sun will have no warmth. You will be forced to confess your sins to your fellow forum members and trek to Mt Alexander then descend to the North and throw your rifle into Three Duck lake, and thus be cleansed of shame.

So, probably best to just be honest.

Banned
    Just draw a 10" circle on a piece of paper and paint it with a spray can. Put a ruler next to it, take a photo and post it here, for each target.

GPS ranges will be accepted if you don't have a range finder.
    Dundee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Just draw a 10" circle on a piece of paper and paint it with a spray can. Put a ruler next to it, take a photo and post it here, for each target.

GPS ranges will be accepted if you don't have a range finder.
    No bugger beleives my range finder or .22 but I'll give it a crack and have witness!
    Woody, Marty Henry and Sako851 like this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    No bugger beleives my range finder or .22 but I'll give it a crack and have witness!
    Better to be safe than sorry
    Dundee likes this.

Banned
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/hun...dce4078abbb266

This may go well below the buy now

I think you should add a proviso that the Finnish autocross drivers have which is:
    If someone offers to buy it from you for $500 you have to sell it to them!

That will take out the “I paid $500 for it back in ‘53 so therefore it’s eligible,” well, it is, as long as you don’t mind selling it for $500!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    WallyR, 223nut, ChrisW and 3 others like this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

....and whats to stop someone selling a rifle to a ‘mate’ that’s a fancy pants rifle/scope combo for five hundy.... I know honour based and all. Quite a curse you put out though Tussock..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're not talking about hunting rifles are you ?

The most likely gun to score well would be an old fullbore target rifle with aperture sights like the Omark 44 mentioned above or a Parker Hale.

There could also be a few almost unsaleable wildcats around with a huge amount spent on the build, yet virtually zero resale value now, that offer fair accuracy potential if you can handle the reloading set up.

If you allow handloading then the amount spent on that will be more than the rifle.

The requirement for an off the scale pricing really make this complicated and easy to criticise.

I suggest you change the rules to $1000 and must use factory ammo but can use as much as you like setting up practising and in repeated attempts to get a score. Also tighten up that the targets have to be shot same day and first shot only, a bit like Norway's challenge. Perhaps require all on one piece of paper like Gimp's challenge.
    WallyR and Sako851 like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    The requirement for an off the scale pricing really make this complicated and easy to criticize.
    In my long history of sporting events of many kinds, as well as other activities I have yet to find anything people found hard to criticize.

No, the rule and limitations are clearly stated. If someone wants to spend 6 months and $1000 hand loading .270 bullets into a loosed bored 6.5 they re-chambered on a toolshed lathe in their garage then that should keep us all entertained for a while.

The prize is respect. If you want to fake your targets I have been clear about the consequences. If you want to do a bogus $500 deal with your mate so you can shoot your $4000 LR rig, then by default, the prize is revoked because there will be no respect on offer.

If someone buys an old target rifle and uses aperture sights, then that will open a few peoples eyes and is worthy of respect.

If someone does this with a $300 Marlin .243 or a sporterised M98 .308, they are going to get bonus respect.

The competition is very tough, and after you sell the rifle again, very cheap.

This is a bit of fun. Just relax mate

I think its a good idea to make the rule that if you enter, you must be willing to sell the rifle for $500.
    If you won't sell it then your entry is invalid. The idea that you can use an expensive rifle that you somehow acquired for cheap / free is imo, not really in the spirit of the competition.
    7mmsaum, Kiwi Greg and Sako851 like this.