Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree205Likes

Thread: Forum shooting challenge: The under 500 500

By "forum shoot" do you mean we going to be able to shoot this at the "Big Bore" shoot??

@Tussock Here is a solution

This competition requires honesty and is there for personal challenge. Here are points to ponder....

-) This competition is a personal competition. there are no tangible prizes so there should be little or no reason for anyone with the qualities of a real kiwi to need to cheat. (That includes male and female shooters)

-) If anyone feels the need to buy or sell their rifle for more than $500 then that says more about them than anything else that could be written or implied. - If they have to bend or break the rules to show how skilled they are then they clearly already know the truth of the matter.

-) Any cheating on value, range or other dishonest behavior, and all prizes are automatically forfeit. No one else needs to know if their rifle is truly worth the $500 they claim. The fact that they themselves are not worthy of the respect is enough. The shame will burn their souls and f it does not, then they have no soul.

-) Value of any rifle is subjective. My old Husky would be pretty close to $500 give or take if it was to be sold, but as it has been with me over 30 years, it will never be sold as it is worth more to me than it will ever be to anyone else. Many of these rifles are.

Most importantly this is a proper riflemans challenge and I love it. It sets a personal goal for each shooter to try.It is a test of the skill of the shooter as much as it is the rifle. And a personal test of ones own honest to themselves.

I will be trying this. And mainly to prove to myself that it can be done. Whether anyone else claims it was done with their rifle and wether it is worth more or less, that matters not to me. The only thing that matters is that I know that I can do it myself.

Here is another challenge-) Its called the GOLF challenge. You stand at a range and tee off with a golf ball. The person on the day who can then hit the golf ball at the largest distance wins. (Do you tee off close to make it easier to hit and risk someone making a longer shot or do you tee off hard and long and hope that you dont miss?)
    gadgetman, Tommy, Pete_D and 1 others like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    @Tussock Here is a solution

This competition requires honesty and is there for personal challenge. Here are points to ponder....

-) This competition is a personal competition. there are no tangible prizes so there should be little or no reason for anyone with the qualities of a real kiwi to need to cheat. (That includes male and female shooters)

-) If anyone feels the need to buy or sell their rifle for more than $500 then that says more about them than anything else that could be written or implied. - If they have to bend or break the rules to show how skilled they are then they clearly already know the truth of the matter.

-) Any cheating on value, range or other dishonest behavior, and all prizes are automatically forfeit. No one else needs to know if their rifle is truly worth the $500 they claim. The fact that they themselves are not worthy of the respect is enough. The shame will burn their souls and f it does not, then they have no soul.

-) Value of any rifle is subjective. My old Husky would be pretty close to $500 give or take if it was to be sold, but as it has been with me over 30 years, it will never be sold as it is worth more to me than it will ever be to anyone else. Many of these rifles are.

Most importantly this is a proper riflemans challenge and I love it. It sets a personal goal for each shooter to try.It is a test of the skill of the shooter as much as it is the rifle. And a personal test of ones own honest to themselves.

I will be trying this. And mainly to prove to myself that it can be done. Whether anyone else claims it was done with their rifle and wether it is worth more or less, that matters not to me. The only thing that matters is that I know that I can do it myself.

Here is another challenge-) Its called the GOLF challenge. You stand at a range and tee off with a golf ball. The person on the day who can then hit the golf ball at the largest distance wins. (Do you tee off close to make it easier to hit and risk someone making a longer shot or do you tee off hard and long and hope that you dont miss?)
    You might need an actual golf course to see the ball, but I like it.

Also, your list is excellent. It is a valid point. If you specify your rifle is not for sale, then it is fair to doubt its value is less than $500, but by all means have a go. Where as to truly honor the rules, the rifle scope combo must be permanently for sale for $500, though by gentleman's agreement it should be kept within the pool of competitors. No one buys a Finnish autocross car for their daily driver, they all stay in the racing pool.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    By "forum shoot" do you mean we going to be able to shoot this at the "Big Bore" shoot??
    Could do, but that is not my event. I have been out this morning ranging up a fixed range with 15-20 stations

Only found a 100m range so far but it is sweet.

Banned
    This is a challenge to all, and I expect it might open a few peoples eyes about where the value lies in a rifle. (Or it might not, we will see...)

My humble Winchester 70 30-06 was bought for $400 and it might be a contender. But I think a lot of fun would be to dig up something as cheap as you can and make it work. I can see some Swedish Mausers, Mosin Nagants and old .303's showing up. I have a feeling someone it going to surprise us with what SKS can do if you treat it right...

I am in.
    gadgetman, Pete_D, Tussock and 1 others like this.

Put me down for this, it may be open sights unless I figure how to fit a scope to the swede without drilling, tapping or changing the bolt.
    Ive hit a figure 11 at 500 metres with it so its a contender.
    Tussock and rewa like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsen Highway View Post
    This is a challenge to all, and I expect it might open a few peoples eyes about where the value lies in a rifle. (Or it might not, we will see...)

My humble Winchester 70 30-06 was bought for $400 and it might be a contender. But I think a lot of fun would be to dig up something as cheap as you can and make it work. I can see some Swedish Mausers, Mosin Nagants and old .303's showing up. I have a feeling someone it going to surprise us with what SKS can do if you treat it right...

I am in.
    Hey, your 'humble' mod 70 30-06 was enough for Messrs Eric England and Carlos Hathcock
    Carlsen Highway and Tussock like this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Banned
    Exactly. I already know it shoots better than the Sako's or the Tikka I used to own. So I've already learned the lesson implicit in this challenge the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimitsu View Post

For 500m. 22LR will have to be shot like a mortar
    I pissed myself at the thought of this

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    No bugger beleives my range finder or .22 but I'll give it a crack and have witness!
    Its been done before
    rewa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    is there a limit on practice thinking more along the lines of my old mans 8mm mauser would never sell it and I know he wouldn't have paid much for it as it was bought in the days of pounds and pence even though he was offered 5k for it as a collectors item as it has some decoration and stuff inset into stock it has been sporterised. his 303 would sell it if I can get a safety and a couple other things also neither is scoped so is that any extra points or do we get a bigger target.
    @garyp

Banned
    There should never be any limit on practice. There are several points to this. One, the true test of any Kiwi is not how he functions with the best gear, but with the worst. Secondly, all these old rifles need cleaned up, polished and put into the hands of people who don't have licenses yet, but should. Excess shiny shit and corporate style marketing by chain stores is stopping people from going hunting. Thirdly it is just good fun.

My rifle range is going to have a dedicated riflecross course. Anyone who wants to shoot this competition is welcome
    gadgetman, WallyR and Pete_D like this.

Someone should check this one out, seems pretty much made for this challenge, and an ideal first rifle for someone getting into it - Ruger 77 in 308 with a Leupold M8 all for $550, which you might be able to sweet talk down to $500. I would be all over it like a fat kid on cake if I had any spare coin around. https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Lis...?id=1975844918

Banned
    Called Carlsenhighway yesterday at the equivalent of 4am his time. He reminded me this was actually his idea, way back in about 2010. Good things take time.

Sent from my CPH1701 using Tapatalk

Ok I had a little practice with the swede yesterday, 5 shots at 100, gave a 4 inch group above the 2 inch circle which is impossible to see with open sights anyhow.
    I have a 12 in gong so used that for the other ranges.
    200, hit 300, hit 400 miss, miss, hit. No more ammo.
    Even painted bright red that gong was hard to see at 400 and is way smaller than the front post, at 500 it will be damn near invisible. Some optics are gonna be needed. It was fun though.
    I might try it with something more pricey and scoped next time.
    Sideshow, WallyR, Tussock and 1 others like this.