Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Hand placement for shooting lightweight long range rifles ?

Yep, it’s a personal thing.

Don’t assume that because snipers do something it’s the right way or something to follow. I have known some extremely capable sniper shots, but plenty of average ones too. They tend to use very heavy, long barreled rifles too, which can allow them to get away with poor form.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Caretaker

NEVER 1 or 2
    wsm junkie and Tussock like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

^^^ this

Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    tbh it dosnt matter too much with good technique what style the most important thing is that you always do it the same way

aslong as your repetitive in how you hold the rifle and how much pressure you put on it you will be fine but number 3 makes it much harder to spot your shots
    I dare you to explain that to Tussock....on 2nd thoughts dont it will end up ruining thread and you will get sore forehead from bashing on brick wall.
    199p, Moa Hunter and 2post like this.

MB
    I'm not a long range shooter, but someone posted this article up a little while ago which I found useful for improving my centrefire groups: https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Kno...at+Forend.html

Yep @MB thanks for posting he gives a very good argument on why you need to hold that fore end!

My consistency on target has improved way more since following his shooting steps.

He also has some good books with a lot of good advice in them.

Not just on how to shot but also rifle maintenance and reloading. All good positive stuff which is nice to see in today’s world
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Always 1.

I did try 3 for a few months last year but with the carbonlight it just didn't provide the accuracy I was expecting so I went back to "1" and I seem to be doing a little better. I only shoot out to 450m with the 7mm08 and 200m with the .223 at this stage. I also wondered about the value of the bipod too, so trialled with and without to find I might be doing better without (using a bag/backpack instead), however that could be subjective. More practice required!

This weekend gone I was doing pretty well on a bipod with grip #1. The rabbits weren't complaining either... they were too busy being dead. Bang-Splat.

1 & 3.
    3 on my 22mag and medium barreled 243. I do need to review this.
    1 with my 358. Use bipod and sling or bag and sling at the front. If I don't it will climb over my head.
    even tension and pull into shoulder and down onto the bipod/bag is important or sore shoulder will result. (more an issue when shooting from a table)
    Z

Try 2 & 3 on a lightweight heavy cal, even not so heavy. They are not very controllable, now if you have a good or great brake then different story entirely. You don't really need much in the way of good technique or form at all then
    chainsaw likes this.

I like and use #1 especially for the magnums.
    ANTSMAN likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Try 2 & 3 on a lightweight heavy cal, even not so heavy. They are not very controllable, now if you have a good or great brake then different story entirely. You don't really need much in the way of good technique or form at all then
    Only ever 3. I can stay on target and spot shots with a suppressed Tikka 300wsm, just takes lot of practice. Funny how us humans don't like explosions going off right next to our faces

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    I dare you to explain that to Tussock....on 2nd thoughts dont it will end up ruining thread and you will get sore forehead from bashing on brick wall.
    Why bother when Gibo already explained it so eloquently?

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    A lot easier to get the pressure right on the front end if there is none

twoshay kimosabi
    Tussock likes this.

Interesting as I had a catch up with Brian and Foster recently and we did a lot of range work and we all shot well with probably 15 odd rifles, Brian is the champ off sticks or bipod, Foster uses a forearm hold and is very deliberate, I use bags front and back and dont touch the forearm at all and shoot quickly, I guess its what suits each individual.
    Sideshow and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    Oh, and he will ruin the thread?. What did you just do by instigating it? Seriously, was it really necessary?
    GUN CONTROL IS A TIGHT 5-SHOT GROUP.