Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Hand placement for shooting lightweight long range rifles ?

I use 1 on light rifles and 3 on my big heavy ones.
    6x47 and chainsaw like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Browning View Post
    Oh, and he will ruin the thread?. What did you just do by instigating it? Seriously, was it really necessary?
    yes sir I believe it was.....he (Tussock)took it in the jest it was intended and replied in same manner.....which you would see/know if you bothered to look/read first..... he (Tussock ) knew to which I was refering...thus he was able to quote it...... case closed.
    dannyb likes this.

When prone I prefer #3. Works for me and I seem to shoot straight enough. As an example, if a shooter is comfortable with #3 but uncomfortable with #1 or #2 then I know which one will be more accurate for them. I reckon repeatability and the application of marksmanship principles using a system that works for an individual is most important.
    Sakoswarosorted likes this.

This is an interesting thread, but it’s like discussing religion or 1080 - everyone has strong views and talking about it is unlikely to change opinions.
    stuart likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakoswarosorted View Post
    Im talking lightweight rifles like Kimber mountain ascent / carbonlight / custom type of weight rifles in magnum rounds (7mm rem, 300 win type and upwards)
    Where do you place your non-shooting hand? There seems to be three main groups of people

1. Holding fore end
    2. Holding downward on top on scope
    3. Hand tucked under stock/pinching rear bag

Interested to hear what technique guys that are consistently shooting 400+ yards at deer are using
    If you were to practice 2 or 3 prone then what are you going to do when presented with a standing shot or sitting across knees shot ? If practiced in fore end hold then that will be the automatic default for everything and the field results will on average be better IMO

Agree that you have too be comfortable shooting in different positions and important to know the nuances of your rifle in those. 1 & 3 for me. Larger calls and light weights are 1s.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    If you were to practice 2 or 3 prone then what are you going to do when presented with a standing shot or sitting across knees shot ? If practiced in fore end hold then that will be the automatic default for everything and the field results will on average be better IMO
    I wouldn't be attempting a 400+ yard shot standing.

Question, not directed at you MOA Hunter, but where did this position 2 (hand on scope) come from? Seems very theatrical to me, a product of youtube warriors and the Internet.
    04sika and Sakoswarosorted like this.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post

Question, not directed at you MOA Hunter, but where did this position 2 (hand on scope) come from? Seems very theatrical to me, a product of youtube warriors and the Internet.
    Ive seen it before...theory goes along the lines of...preloading bipod to keep things down when fireing...to stop it jumping up so much... dont use a bipod myself so cant comment further.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post

Just another method I’ve seen to steady a rifle and reduce muzzle jump from different positions with a bipod