Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: : Snipers vs. Competition Shooters

do you have a cover all suit or cape ? I imagine they weigh a friggen ton when wet ! have any advances happened in materials to counter this weight problem or are they still jute burlap .
    I would imagine a very light suit could be handy for varminting
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

R93
    The base suit is issued now a days but you had to have a go at making one and passing a stalk or concealment with it. The issue ones are decent bits of kit that just needed adding to. Heavy pants and jacket that are padded on knees and elbows. You also still had to make your own head veil.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Interesting R93 -I like military stuff and enjoy talking about it unlike many others i have a keen interest in Tactical bits and bobs -Military and tactical shit is more interesting than hunting kit --in my opinion

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    El B I hope you are not confusing "Tactical" with "tack tickle" (which is what my missus gives me with her jodphurs and boots on - riding crop in hand).
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

hell Rushy is there another kind???

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    The base suit is issued now a days but you had to have a go at making one and passing a stalk or concealment with it. The issue ones are decent bits of kit that just needed adding to. Heavy pants and jacket that are padded on knees and elbows. You also still had to make your own head veil.
    I'm curious. On the modern battlefield - do snipers have to seek solid cover at night to avoid detection with thermal cameras ? The whole 'night ops' thing would only work against third world enemies surely.

I would hazard there is a few guys here that might shed light on the question .It is amazing the tech stuff one can go into the field with .I wore some NV google some time back -high end ones from the states 3rd gen and was amazed at a pitch black area becoming green but the visibility was astounding

R93
    Depends on how they are deployed I spose. Thermal avoidance is not that hard when static. It would really only be an opposing sniper or helicopter that would be a threat unless you fucked up majorly and they picked your general position quickly.

so avoidance by not sitting in the open is the method employed or are there cloths that help -ive seen a tent that does it but never more

another questioned Ive seen posed but never really answered is how to escape the good old dog -if it was an English Setter tracking you your done but all other Im sure there is an opportunity if you know how to escape

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    another questioned Ive seen posed but never really answered is how to escape the good old dog -if it was an English Setter tracking you your done but all other Im sure there is an opportunity if you know how to escape
    Shoot the dog, its only a setter
    el borracho likes this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

hahaha oh young Toby who has much to learn hahaha Ive got to give that the best funny quote Ive seen in ages !!!

R93
    You would never rely on any form gucci clothing to conceal you from any form of observation. You still have to use the ground and your wits. You can select a position in pretty much any terrain I can think of that will conceal you, even if an enemy on the ground was looking straight at you with the best of thermal gear. Concealing your self from both ground and air would be a challange unless using a static hide but.

you say ground even though you say you can conceal while someone is thermal imaging you ?? The air observation must be a bastard to get away from -insane what they see in a helo when blasting the insurgents , mind they appear never to have a clue theyre being observed for more points

R93
    Yes. Just think how thermal works. Think how you can conceal yourself by using how it works to your advantage.
    No offence intended but I think you need a different mindset to understand or work out the answers your questions. Its all in the plan and you have an "actions on" most, if not all scenarios. Its warfare. Your expendable. Its up to you not to make it so easy.
    Forgot to mention that armour would be a huge threat from the ground as well. They can observe you with out fear of exposing themselves in order to do so.