Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: : Snipers vs. Competition Shooters

one thing i have learn't that some of the weapon systems snipers use with the ammo they are given ends up around 1 moa overall where as alot of the firearms sports shooters are using are rigs capable of 1/2 and better which is a consideration worth comparing.
    when i ever start getting excited about my ability i have a good mate that will casually come along and make me realize i need more practice with skills i envy but will never get as not that keen in joining the army and becoming a moving target!
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

When the US snipers took three consecutive head shots within 5 seconds at 800y on those ''pirates'' off West Africa a couple of years ago, from one rocking boat to another rocking boat...well that restored all my faith in the ability of (some) the US's top snipers.

But as already said, the skill sets are completely different. I'd say both Target shooters and snipers are head and shoulders above the rest of the general shooting population in accuracy, but then snipers have to be battle fit and be able to lug all of their gear around the hills, something a lot of the target shooters I've observed would struggle with - in fact most of them are puffing just walking from their car to the shooting mound

I guess this comparison could be used with pro hunters or cullers etc... just because they hunt for a living doesn't automatically make them a good shot with a rifle. A lot of the guys I've worked with were pretty average shots with a rifle at best, but they were still very good hunters.

kj

Quote Originally Posted by kimjon View Post
    When the US snipers took three consecutive head shots within 5 seconds at 800y on those ''pirates'' off West Africa a couple of years ago, from one rocking boat to another rocking boat...well that restored all my faith in the ability of (some) the US's top snipers.

But as already said, the skill sets are completely different. I'd say both Target shooters and snipers are head and shoulders above the rest of the general shooting population in accuracy, but then snipers have to be battle fit and be able to lug all of their gear around the hills, something a lot of the target shooters I've observed would struggle with - in fact most of them are puffing just walking from their car to the shooting mound

I guess this comparison could be used with pro hunters or cullers etc... just because they hunt for a living doesn't automatically make them a good shot with a rifle. A lot of the guys I've worked with were pretty average shots with a rifle at best, but they were still very good hunters.

kj
    I thought it was actually only 30 metres, not 800.
    From wikipedia
    U.S. Navy SEAL snipers, reportedly from the U.S. Naval Special Warfare Development Group,[25] on the Bainbridge's fantail opened fire and killed the three pirates remaining in the lifeboat with a simultaneous volley of three shots. The SEALs had arrived Friday afternoon after being parachuted into the water near the Halyburton, which later joined with the Bainbridge.[8] At the time, the Bainbridge had the lifeboat under tow, approximately 25 to 30 yards astern.[26]
    BRADS likes this.

Lol if you think this is relevant to anything or meaningful in any way

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    This. Are they tryna say Snipers are shit compared to civvie shooters or what?

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    its meaningful Gimp as it creates debate and knowledge about different sides of the fence - others have a keen interest in many aspects of the shooting art .
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

The Original Striker
    Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    From wikipedia
    U.S. Navy SEAL snipers, reportedly from the U.S. Naval Special Warfare Development Group,[25] on the Bainbridge's fantail opened fire and killed the three pirates remaining in the lifeboat with a simultaneous volley of three shots. The SEALs had arrived Friday afternoon after being parachuted into the water near the Halyburton, which later joined with the Bainbridge.[8] At the time, the Bainbridge had the lifeboat under tow, approximately 25 to 30 yards astern.[26]

Thats the big tip off there, DEVGRU aka Seal Team 6, if you go by how well trained they are- we are led to believe
    Bigger Better Faster Stronger
    Handle the Jandle, or get off the Beach

The Original Striker

Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    one thing i have learn't that some of the weapon systems snipers use with the ammo they are given ends up around 1 moa overall where as alot of the firearms sports shooters are using are rigs capable of 1/2 and better which is a consideration worth comparing.
    when i ever start getting excited about my ability i have a good mate that will casually come along and make me realize i need more practice with skills i envy but will never get as not that keen in joining the army and becoming a moving target!
    the Barret springs to mind , often said to be a 1-2 moa gun

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    From wikipedia
    Wow pays to do your research eh. For some reason I recalled the distance as 800y - but it looks like I got that one completely wrong sorry.

kj

30yds, 800yds, close enough. Either is long range to a North Island bush hunter!
    veitnamcam, Savage1 and kimjon like this.

mistakes , Chinese whispers and exaggerations are what many legends are made of

Quote Originally Posted by ishoot10s View Post
    It's even more discrediting to the snipers when you factor in that they are typically shooting off bags, bipods or fixed rests of some description. Sure, the HP shooter gets a jacket, glove and sling but is still shooting off his/her elbows, no part of the rifle is supported by anything other than the shooters own body.
    Not FTR, I use a bipod...

regards
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

shoulda just put a plate sized gong up at 200 yards and give them all an air rifle. thatd sort the men from the boys haha

"I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

No wonder they have an ammo shortage if they do that with it!