Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Wind , mirage the last Frontier

Caretaker
    Thats great el borracho, school me now....

Interesting read mate. Good way to fill a few minutes at work when the boss is in a meeting

Re. the CD, I've heard some very good things about it, but haven't yet got a copy, and this info is right here in front of me. It's a lot easier to discuss things if they're posted on here as well.

If people start posting wacky shit I'm sure someone can pull the CD out and copy some stuff in here

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Can't copy it in here. That's the rule and the agreement people make when they receive the CD. Nothing gets put online. Hand to hand only.
    Ah ok, that seems fair - Norway must have put a huge amount of time into it.

This thread is definitely helpful then, for me anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Interesting read mate. Good way to fill a few minutes at work when the boss is in a meeting

Re. the CD, I've heard some very good things about it, but haven't yet got a copy, and this info is right here in front of me. It's a lot easier to discuss things if they're posted on here as well.

If people start posting wacky shit I'm sure someone can pull the CD out and copy some stuff in here
    Josh , there is some great reading in a few docos posted especially from the US FIRE SERVICE .

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Thats great el borracho, school me now....
    Your Crayons and colouring book are in the post
    Spanners likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Can't copy it in here. That's the rule and the agreement people make when they receive the CD. Nothing gets put online. Hand to hand only.
    Tussock , your were wrong about 5-6 posts lol -hard crowd as they already know it all and certainly dont want to use your guys forum for a knowledge base to others -but alas lets carry on and I hope you input to show others "its ok to say "maybe a new line the hard crowd could go by .

i would be keen on this cd that everyones talking about

Quote Originally Posted by crzyman View Post
    "Nearly" All that is in Norways LR CD which we have been giving out free since 2006
    Can I have one of these please.?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Caretaker
    el borracho,

Great thread topic, my question is genuine, as you obviously have the burden to open up the discussion and science of this topic lets get it under way.

You mention 8 focus points, with the first being "Assessing wind strength and direction"

I use an anemometer and check my hunting log book notes -experience from previous shots at any given location, Ross and I always discuss the wind strength and it a source of much banter, mention wind when hunting and the jokes flow......

Wind direction is done the same way, an anemometer will give the highest reading when held facing into the wind, and as a check we use thistle down, dust, the flame from a lighter, watching flax, trees, bushes, clouds, breeze on yer face, and the same indicators in the target area/range, really whatever indicator can be found.

Early morning in the Wairarapa, wind speed approx 8mph R to L from the shots 2.30 position. Red hinds at 1429 yrds.

el borracho, I am keen to hear your factual and experiential contribution.

Good to hear 7MMSAUM I am glad to see you post as this thread will be all the richer with many members thoughts - I hope my Crayons jab made you smile . I am writing somethin in word in between loading 200 rounds so I will post myself a little later .Long shot , did you hit them ?I myself am not a hunter of game only steel plate

Caretaker
    Only after Stags this time of the year.

Id like to see this thread develop.
    Im not a long ranger by any means but I would like to be able to shoot very confidently on game to 600 in most conditions. Have shot game this far(well 585) but only in perfect dead still conditions. I need to shoot more in the wind I know this.
    I think I have a fair understanding of how wind flows over ridges gullys etc but no idea at all of judging speed.

Would be great to see vids posted showing wind speed on a dodad and movement of vegetation.
    Last edited by veitnamcam; 26-04-2012 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Edit to add
    Rich007 and keen fella like this.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Id like to see this thread develop.
    Im not a long ranger by any means but I would like to be able to shoot very confidently on game to 600 in most conditions. Have shot game this far(well 585) but only in perfect dead still conditions. I need to shoot more in the wind I know this.
    I think I have a fair understanding of how wind flows over ridges gullys etc but no idea at all of judging speed.
    +1

Norway has done a good youtube clip well worth a watch -check it out -I always go back and look at it .Please go back to the start of this thread also as there are a few links there to look at which are great visual aids

Last edited by el borracho; 26-04-2012 at 09:12 PM.

Nice, would be great to see some NZ Typical vegetation and MPH